Britain to leave EU!

Julie2016 wrote:

So I can benefit from current eu law will I be ok to come to Malta in October , should I come before uk invokes article 50. Advice greatly appreciated

You have been asking this same question since April, as everyone has said, don't worry about it,
if you don't like the answers you are getting I would suggest you give up on the idea of coming here.

Everyone has tried to be helpful but you choose to ignore all the answers to the very question you are asking.

Ray

tearnet wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

1 GBP = 1.2339 EUR
The GBP/EUR rate as of 24 Jun 2016 at 7:57 AM

Nice to get an automatic cut in income of around 15% - Thank you Boris and Farage.

Ray

Hopefully you will have the courtesy to thank them when it goes up!

Terry

ps Its called currency fluctuation it happens all the time, its been as low as 1.1 and as high as 1.5.

I agree with Terry, it was around 1.14/1.15 3 years ago, it is very rarely near 1.4, 1.3 is good

If you get income in £ and live where there is a different currency, any currency, it is a fact of life you have to accept, otherwise start hedging like the banks do ;-)

socialwhirl wrote:
tearnet wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

1 GBP = 1.2339 EUR
The GBP/EUR rate as of 24 Jun 2016 at 7:57 AM

Nice to get an automatic cut in income of around 15% - Thank you Boris and Farage.

Ray

Terry

ps Its called currency fluctuation it happens all the time, its been as low as 1.1 and as high as 1.5.

I agree with Terry, it was around 1.14/1.15 3 years ago, it is very rarely near 1.4, 1.3 is good

If you get income in £ and live where there is a different currency, any currency, it is a fact of life you have to accept, otherwise start hedging like the banks do ;-)

Not sure where you get your figures ( or your money) from, but we have been here approaching 4 years now and have never had less than €1.18 in (2012) and for the 3 - 6 months prior to the announcement of the referendum we were regularly getting €1.40+ and top end of the €1.30s before that.

Ray

My concern was that both sides of the argument seemed to be divorced from reality and traded on fear rather than facts. It is unfortunately true that sinse the result came through, the xenophic nature of the Brexit camp has been born out by an upsurge in hate crimes against Muslims Jews and Poles. This is not the type of England any decent person would wish to "reclaim" and it was exactly against this sort of stuff, on a national scale, why the Common Market was formed in the first place. Lord forgive them, for they know not what the do!

I love the "we give away 50M/day - take back control" Leave campaign bus. Complete nonsense... yet so effective. Love it. Great marketing.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
socialwhirl wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

Not sure where you get your figures ( or your money) from, but we have been here approaching 4 years now and have never had less than €1.18 in (2012) and for the 3 - 6 months prior to the announcement of the referendum we were regularly getting €1.40+ and top end of the €1.30s before that.

Ray

This link shows the trend over the last 10 years...

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= … p;view=10Y

Lowest 1.02, highest 1.52

So we are currently about half way between.

Terry

tearnet wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
socialwhirl wrote:

Ray

This link shows the trend over the last 10 years...

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= … p;view=10Y

Lowest 1.02, highest 1.52

So we are currently about half way between.

Terry

This afternoon the GBP is down at €1.20/1.21, nowhere near halfway!

Anyway it has happened so there is nothing we can do about it!

Ray

Doom, gloom, suicide, death, no electricity, disaster, meteor about to hit, sex to be banned, end of all life, no pizza .......

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-globa … SKCN0ZE028

Stocks start returning to their previous level.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow-fu … 2016-06-28

“The selloff after Brexit is very similar to a selloff in 2011 when the U.S. credit rating was downgraded. We expect markets to recover just as they did five years ago,” said Doug Cote, chief market strategist at Voya Investment Management.

Looks like pizza is still available, making many mutant turtles very happy.

So much for the end of the world.
As I predicted, shares have returned to normal ... well, slightly higher as the traders get their lines.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7399/27990438695_9c7236829e_z.jpg

Pound still down at €1.21 !

Ray

The headless chicken problem on the shares market does seem to be in the process of resolution, but exchange rates are still in Kami Kasi mode, even though marginally improved. Foretunately I prebooked an exchange rate for most on my money but the rest seems invested in a dead parrot at present.

The Pound is still about 0.1 down against silly money, but that'll change soon, especially as there's a pretty reasonable chance the EU will become politically unstable.
The various governments have assumed their populations will support them, but more and more are revolting.
The French and Greeks are especially revolting, showing a lot of signs the populations are less than interesting in being part of the EU.

http://www.pewglobal.org/files/2016/06/PM_2016.06.07_brexit-00.png

Greece escaping will probably boost the Euro, but France leaving would very likely destroy it, and only 38% of the French happy with the EU, it's far from impossible.

Being the first into the lifeboat is generally a good idea.
Of course there is some short term pain, about a week in the case of the FTSE, but a little longer for the pound, probably a month maximum.

Vagrant wrote:

Foretunately I prebooked an exchange rate for most on my money but the rest seems invested in a dead parrot at present.

It isn't dead, or just pining for the fjords.
In fact it's alive and, once the headless chickens have got their act together, it'll be back to normal.

Markets do this, but they always realise they've been stupid and normality returns.
Meanwhile, the clever traders make a fortune on the majority of stupid ones.

I assume when you are saying silly money Fred, you are referring to the Euro, if you are, then it is down about 16% to those who actually use the Euro.
It might be silly money to you in 'South Tangerang, Banten' but to us, on this Forum it is our income.
You are not in Europe so you are not affected in the same way, which is why some of your posts, correct or otherwise do not always go down well with the Members.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

I assume when you are saying silly money Fred, you are referring to the Euro,

Yes, I am.
The Euro is based on the value of currencies joining the Euro being the same, or at least with in a given tolerance.
That was simply not the case, meaning the thing is based on lies and cooked books, unless you want us to believe Greece has anything close to parity with Germany.

Hence, silly money.

It has no chance at all in the long term, and probably the short term in France makes any serious move to leave.
Cheap suit?

Post removed by me as I decided it was not worth replying.

Ray

In the end if the UK has bad luck, they will need to pay more then before because obviously the EU will not give any rabate anymore. And Swiss and Norway pay fully for EU market access. They dont get access for financial products and UK has a huge financial sector.

For market access, also free place of living must be accepted so it was pretty senseless for uk to leave...

Time will tell but i am pretty sure leaving will not do much good for either EU or UK.

It's all a mess. We are holding off our move to Malta until we know more.

Yves81 wrote:

In the end if the UK has bad luck, they will need to pay more then before because obviously the EU will not give any rabate anymore. .

The rebate comes from the UK's payments.
They don't get the rebate, but they don't have to pay in either.

As for paying a fee to be allowed to trade, that's also silly as it doesn't apply in the rest of the world (except normal taxation).
The whole idea of the EU is based on a mass of paperwork, regulations and fees for something you can do with a lot less or none at all with most countries.

No, Swiss and Norway pay for free access to the eu market! Of course UK doesnt need to but then they need to pay border tax (dont know if it is the right word).

And i agree the EU in its current state is pretty much a non democratic ******We need a slim EU, with real democracy and we surly dont need 2342342354 burrocrats who no one elected to rule.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : bad language not allowed
Fred wrote:

The whole idea of the EU is based on a mass of paperwork, regulations and fees for something you can do with a lot less or none at all with most countries.

LOL no it's not.

Both Norway and the Swiss have agreements with the EU where they pay A LOT of money for market access (with serious limitations). Agreement details are public - look them up. The UK will not be getting a better deal.

It's pretty hilarious, but this is what happens when populists win hahah. It's not just the UK either - look at all the support Trump has in the US. Their formula is very simple - pick any complex issue, cherry-pick a easy shock point for simple people (OMG we pay 50 mil/day to the EU) and then... come up with a very "broad" solution - like "leave the EU". Every single one of these marketing campaigns uses the same ingredients.

Same for UK immigration issues. There definitely are serious problems related to that. They're nothing to do with the EU. You already had a deal to deal with med-migrants. Legal EU immigration is not an issue anywhere in the UK. Other types of migration are causing serious problems, but no one is going to touch that hornet's nest. :)

On a lighter note, it would be funny if Nicola Sturgeon took Scotland out of the UK and then rejoined the EU, as that would make Michael Gove an EU citizen again after all his efforts to leave, as he is Scottish!

And he could also possibly be PM of the UK!

Ray

Immigration issue is nothing to do with the EU ? ARE YOU SERIOUS !!!!

There is no "deal" to sort out the mass migration in the med, its just a free for all.
With EU countries allowing unrestricted travel through to the "promised land" wherever they think that is.

Mass movement from EU countries into the UK ( and other EU countries) is a problem and will only get worse once once more eastern European countries join the EU or get travel restrictions lifted.
The mass migration is a problem because firstly its the speed that its happening and secondly because not every immigrant wants to accept the UK as home but aims to change the fabric of society to something more like "their" old country.
Thirdly the infrastructure, schools, social services and the NHS cannot cope with the rapid change. 

That's what 17.5 million people in the UK  are worried about and that does not make them racist or xenophobic , just concerned.

Terry

Great discussions folk, some truly interesting considerations from all sides...

What also is of interest is to ascertain how the UK Brexit referendum has been viewed by the ordinary people of other EU States and how it effects them now and in the future, with equally what can they do about it! This is important as it will have consequences upon not only any UK discussions but also about the EU. Sadly Germany is prohibited under Federal Law from holding its own referendum (of any type) for their people but already there is great concern within about what the future will hold without the UK as a regular major trading partner. Other states are also having the same concerns but are pondering just what they can do about it...

With any luck a mutually beneficial resolution between the UK and the EU will be found (and I'm certain it will) once all the Chest Thumping has died down, Egotisms get restrained and cold hard reality strikes home on both sides...

My thoughts (and hopes !!! )

Fred wrote:

The fishing industry was destroyed as a result of EU restrictions, so that's likely to made a slow recovery as European fleets will no longer have quotas in British waters, the thing that caused the decline of the UK's fishing fleets.
Without that silly policy based on politics rather than preservation of stocks, the UK's fleets can grow again.

British fisherman destroyed the fish stocks in the North Sea by overfishing. Fish stocks have recovered as a result of EU policies to the extent that, one example, cod, once almost wiped out in the North Sea are again abundant.

If the British government in its incompetent manner allows British fisherman to overfish again, then the Noth Sea will soon become depleted. Then where will British fishermen go and fish, as they won't have access to European waters.

I voted to leave the EU and hope to move to Malta soon are things likely to change in Malta.

Grahm

Graham sewell wrote:

I voted to leave the EU and hope to move to Malta soon are things likely to change in Malta.

Grahm

Just out of interest, forgive me if I sound sarcastic (not intentional) but if you voted leave, have now got what you want, why are you abandoning the ship and leaving the country?

Genuinely intrigued.

JMH71 wrote:
Graham sewell wrote:

Grahm

Just out of interest, forgive me if I sound sarcastic (not intentional) but if you voted leave, have now got what you want, why are you abandoning the ship and leaving the country?

Genuinely intrigued.

Well... that's exactly what some of the most "famous" leave supporters did. So you know...

:)

Graham sewell wrote:

I voted to leave the EU and hope to move to Malta soon are things likely to change in Malta.]

Grahm

So you voted to leave the EU to come and live in a country in the EU, makes sense!

Graham sewell wrote:

Grahm

Bizarre.

mantasmo wrote:
JMH71 wrote:
Graham sewell wrote:

Grahm

Genuinely intrigued.

Well... that's exactly what some of the most "famous" leave supporters did. So you know...

Such as who? Which 'most famous leave supporters' have left the country

Ray

Graham sewell wrote:

Grahm

Things have already changed!
Because of the referendum and the uncertainty it has caused, followed by the vote to leave, the value of your pound, when you get here has gone down by 16%

Ray

Just that I want to live in the sun and have good memories of Malta and also when I served there and have had good holidays and people are very good.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
mantasmo wrote:
JMH71 wrote:

Genuinely intrigued.

Such as who? Which 'most famous leave supporters' have left the country

Ray

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I was referring to the "abandoning the ship" bit.

This article gives a clue as to what Europe thinks of Boris as Foreign Secretary!

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … obe.618726

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

This article gives a clue as to what Europe thinks of Boris as Foreign Secretary!

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … obe.618726

Ray

If I really wanted to give Euro politicians some stress, I would have appointed him to that position as well.
I suspect it's entirely deliberate, probably to do a bit of this.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/28/article-2254299-16AD3EF0000005DC-274_634x811.jpg

Stress? More likely they are laughing and writing the UK off as a joke!

felinefine81 wrote:

Stress? More likely they are laughing and writing the UK off as a joke!

The loss of one of the Eu's major income sources is unlikely to make them laugh very much.

Boris Johnson is one of the EU's major income sources?! 😁

I thought that was what we were commenting on this morning!

felinefine81 wrote:

Boris Johnson is one of the EU's major income sources?! 😁

I thought that was what we were commenting on this morning!

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Facepalm-Meme-Picard-09.jpg