Brexit: UK votes to leave the EU

Hello everyone,

This Friday, June 24, 2016 is a historical day for Europe. The United Kingdom has voted for leaving the European Union in a referendum held around the Brexit.

The vote was held on Thursday, June 23. Thousands of British nationals, including expatriates, were called to express their wish.

Following the poll, 17,061,744 British nationals had voted in favor of Brexit. Prime Minister David Cameron, for his part, said he wished for a remain in the EU.

Meanwhile, the pound sterling was reported to be in free fall during the vote, that is at its lowest since 1985. On Thursday, the tight margin supposed that a Remain would win. However, financial markets are now in shock.

The referendum's outcome will definitely have major consequences on the  British policy, as well as migration flows, among others. We will be addressing relating topic very soon.

So what are your views about this situation? How is the current mood on the spot?

Thank you in advance for your contribution.

Well done Britain !!

You will soon be a member of free Europe and Switzerland is glad to welcome you back.

May other nations soon follow you.  :)

Sad day for uk and brexit  !!  Any way i feel the brexit will not be that bad .Uk will more likely follow the nations like Swiss and Norway .

Gutted, also the leave proponents don't have a plan.  Also if they want to access the single market they have to agree to free movement of people.  So NO point in voting out.

whole thing is messed up really .Uk did not really know what to do ,which is right or not right .Just cause they fear massive refugees and migration they say they opt out of eu .They cannot have both   ,border control  as well as access to free trade .

i think it will be a good move too

Judging from the number of racist incidents since the vote, it seems some people who voted for Brexit mistakenly thought the vote was about whether foreigners should Leave the UK, rather than the UK Leaving the EU.

to start with referendum was a mistak by David Cameroon ,now he lost his post as well .Group of mavericks   like Nigel and Boris  swung the votes towards   exit .Sterling is going down and racism is going up. Tough times ahead.

One factor contributing to the 'LEAVE" vote was the large number of old folks still alive and kicking today who remember the deceit and lies from Ted Heath (may he forever rot in hell). He promised the country in the referendum of 1975 that Britain was ONLY ENTERING AN ECONOMIC alliance. The British people who voted FOR the European Economic Community were furious when within a year of two they realised they were LIED to and the union was intended to warp into a POLITICAL one.

Like elephants old people don't forget too quickly.  :)

That was one reason but I suspect the main one was the question of gaining political independence from the undemocratic ruling elite in Brussels.

This time around they Lied about gaining Millions of £ weekly that'd be saved and redirected towards funding the Medical system if they voted LEAVE.  Yet the very day they won; they withdrew this promise immediately!

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

This time around they Lied about gaining Millions of £ weekly that'd be saved and redirected towards funding the Medical system if they voted LEAVE.  Yet the very day they won; they withdrew this promise immediately!

By "they" do you mean the current Tory government in power? I doubt that very much. Do you have a link?

PS Was the "they" who rescinded that promise the same "they" that made it? Just wondering.

I think she meat ukip party who made wrong allegations that they can save 350 millions per week which could be directed to NHS.    shambles really  a new  referendum  will be the best thing to do .

Thx Lolzzz.  For re explaining csitustion correctly!
Exactly what I meant.  Given that; They reckon if another referendum was held today; a different outcome was likely!

Lolzzz wrote:

I think she meat ukip party who made wrong allegations that they can save 350 millions per week which could be directed to NHS.    shambles really  a new  referendum  will be the best thing to do .

Actually according to Farage himself, it wasn't UKIP who was responsible for that claim. Rather:

"That was one of the mistakes I think the Leave campaign made. It wasn't one of my adverts, I can assure you. I think they made a mistake in doing that.”

Lolzzz wrote:

I think she meat ukip party who made wrong allegations that they can save 350 millions per week which could be directed to NHS.

The important point I think is that only the elected government in power is the democratic representative of the people, ...and the UKIP is not the govt. in power. I believe they only have one MP, i.e. member of parliament.

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

Exactly what I meant.  Given that; They reckon if another referendum was held today; a different outcome was likely!

Is democracy a matter of having a referendum repeated as often as is needed until one particular faction has its way? I think not!
Although apparently (think Ireland) it is a method the EU approves of.

El_Jost wrote:
Aussie Dreamer wrote:

Is democracy a matter of having a referendum repeated as often as is needed until one particular faction has its way? I think not!
Although apparently (think Ireland) it is a method the EU approves of.

I think the point was that those who voted Leave based on the £350 million, have been mislead, and will vote to Remain if given the chance again, now that they know the truth about this particular issue. So in other words, another referendum but based this time on facts, not fiction. However I don't agree that would necessary be the case (that they would vote differently). We don't know how many voted Leave mainly for this reason alone. I believe many of them voted for Leave, for other reasons beside the £350m, such as lack of control over immigration/border, which they see as one of the reasons the NHS, schools, housing, and country in general, is in this state. I haven't came across protests by any Leave voters demanding that the referendum is held again because of being lied to, or accusing the Leave campaign of misleading them. It seems most of them are very happy with the results, otherwise they would of gathered to voice their frustrations and demand a repeat. So there is nothing to suggest a large enough number regret their choice to tilt it in favour of Remain (who I voted for). I think we must accept the results.

It seems as if at least some quarters in Europe are trying to get MPs to vote down the referendum.

Henry Smith MP exposed this attempt to remove democracy using his twitter account.

Regardless of what your opinion of the EU is, this lack of democracy was a strong reason people used to vote no.

I have checked his account and it's there.

https://twitter.com/HenrySmithMP

Yikes! Look at the British pound. It's still falling like a stone.

GBP/USD = 1.2882

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=GBPU … g%22:true}

pound has crashed big time . Nigel and boris backed off now from leadership after exit . Total shambles . Tough times ahead.

Sterling is still weaker against the dollar, about 20 cents lower than before the vote.

Exports, hardly surprisingly, are up.

Some countries are getting very harsh about conditions for their expats
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37396805

"V4 [Visegrad group] countries will be uncompromising," he said. "Unless we feel a guarantee that these people are equal, we will veto any agreement between the EU and Britain."

Given unemployment and immigration were main issues in the campaign, they're likely to lose or simply be ignored.
Germany and France's trade with the UK means a lot and it isn't in anyone's interest to make expats on both sides mess about with visas and/or work permits.
Assuming the UK's PM has balls, the V4 are likely to get the finger one.

i think  nations  like   France,Germany in Europe could still get visa free permission to stay and work cause there are more British citizens working there without visas and similar number of people from those countries work in uk .So there   could well  be some agreement  between the richer western nations to have visa free entry /work.

But this could also lead to a separate western block forming .