Living in Cairo for about a year, originally from the US.

Hey everyone. 

I'm new to Expat.com but not too new to Egypt.  I've been here for about a year and moved here to live with my husband, who's from here! 

The many experiences I've had in this country in this short time have really made me want to blog. I've found it really fun and entertaining to read other expat blogs, so I hope that my sharing will be of benefit to and entertain others as well.  My blog will mostly be about working here in Cairo (that has been interesting), in the USA and beyond.  I'll mostly focus on topics about job hunting, career experiences, some serious, some funny, so on and so forth.

I'd like to connect with other professional minded people, bloggers, or women that want shopping partners :)

My blog can be found here:  americanabroadmiddleeast.blogspot.com.eg/..... and keep in mind that it's brand spanking new, so there's not too much there yet!

Anyway, I look forward to being part of the community, and thanks for your hospitality! 

~Rachel

Hello and welcome to Expat.com Rachel :cheers:

For your blog to get better visibility you may want to add it here :

> Blogs from expats in Cairo

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Thank you, much appreciated and I will.

Good day Rachel... nice to meet you...
I see MD added to your name - so want to ask - are you a doctor?
Will be glad to get friendly conversation at any time...

Hi Amina,

No, I'm not a doctor, lol.  My screen name is a little misleading, but it wasn't intentional, I promise.  I was just combining initials!  It's nice to meet you also...have you been here long?

:) Rachel

Welcome Rachel 
I hope you spend good days here
best regards

Dear Rachel, it`s ok and even funny when you can become a doctor just by initials...  :)

I was living in Cairo before... currently work in Iraq... but plan to back within few months...

Oh, wow, sounds interesting. What do you do there in Iraq?

Thanks for your kind wishes!

:huh: working... in pharma manufacturing company...
Here very hot this days - how about Egypt?

Actually, for the past hour all i can think about is how delirious I  feel from the heat :|:)

:joking: Yeah... this fact only keep me far away... but actually in summer it is no difference where in Middle east you are...

The weird thing is...i can't take the winter here either. I thought i was going to freeze. to death. But i think it's the construction here that lacks insulation and most places dont have central heat and ac

Yes... central heating for what we are used is really important... but for me winter is better... I do not feel cold (I think it is just my constitution but maybe it is sort of disease... lol)... but in hot I cannot breath...
And also sands of desert... you can clean your flat all week long but in end of last day it`s will be dusty again... :huh:

About the dust, I used to wash my vacuum back home, I won't lie, but here I feel like my vacuum needs to be washed weekly, vacuumed every 2 days and dusted after every use.  I feel it's not normal to have to vacuum a vacuum.  :D
I have never seen so much dust in my life, but this place is dust so I guess it's normal.  And the heat, I thought a "dry" heat wouldn't make you feel as sweaty and lethargic but wrong!  I never thought I'd say this, but I actually look forward to the end of the summer!

1st you more than welcome to our country which is full of warm and kind ppl and as any country there is good ppl and bad pp but as you know it depends where you will go to look for friends and I think you came from USA so you know what am talking about I stayed at San Antonio Texas for time and I visited about 8 state so I can get what is the biggest difference in everything😂😂
2nd about the weather and dust as Egyptian I have I hate summer and I wish if it can finish as fast as coz I afraid to finish me before the season fnish 😂😂😂

"to vacuum a vacuum" ... lol ... ;)

You know when I`m in Cairo at evening near the Nile on one of the bridges is so great...   :heart:

Thanks for the welcome, Abo!  Yeah, the world has all kinds of people everywhere...and weather for that matter, there's no escape!  In Florida, where I'm from, our temperatures are really similar to Egypt but it's super humid and rainy, I think my preference to that climate are because I'm used to it; most of my friends and family complained they thought they'd suffocate until winter came back around! Did you like the US?

To Amina----The Nile is my favorite, I could really hang out there all day.  I think this pic was taken not from Koubry Gamaa, but the one south of it (by Opera).  I'm not sure what the name is, though.  Which bridge to you think has the best views/surrounding restaurants/parks?

Hey Rachel welcome! I came from the US last year and am working as a teacher here in Cairo:) Where in Egypt are you living?

Hi Pelmaghraby,

I live in Haram! How's it going for you so far here? :)

Yes dear friend the weather is so close from Florida and I know this coz I took my flight course at Panama city , Florida and I was suffering even more than here so I think if you from Florida you will enjoy the weather here abd u will like it the most in winter anyhow you welcome to Egypt and if you need any help just let me know and I will never forget how the ppl in Florida was so kind and friendly with me
All regards
          Abo

Pretty good, Im adjusting to life here but Im loving it so far :) Hope you are liking it as well!

Hello pelma wish you good stay on Egypt so tell me plz from which state at USA ??

Haha hey my fellow Americans, I just had to post here when I saw the statements about the weather.

When my mom told me to come live here, she forget to mention it's really hot. However the cold is more of an issue for me, back in Atlanta it didn't even get this cold.

I wonder what the ancient Egyptians did back in the day when it got this cold?

Thanks,arizona

I haven't been there for my bad luck but maybe in my coming courses I will visit anyhow you welcome👍

pelmaghraby wrote:

Pretty good, Im adjusting to life here but Im loving it so far :) Hope you are liking it as well!

I'm going through my after-honeymoon phase.....I need to readjust lol, but it's my home so what can i say :D  What are do you live in?

eagle Abo wrote:

Yes dear friend the weather is so close from Florida and I know this coz I took my flight course at Panama city , Florida and I was suffering even more than here so I think if you from Florida you will enjoy the weather here abd u will like it the most in winter anyhow you welcome to Egypt and if you need any help just let me know and I will never forget how the ppl in Florida was so kind and friendly with me
All regards
          Abo

Yeah, people in Florida tend to be really friendly!

KarimFromATL wrote:

Haha hey my fellow Americans, I just had to post here when I saw the statements about the weather.

When my mom told me to come live here, she forget to mention it's really hot. However the cold is more of an issue for me, back in Atlanta it didn't even get this cold.

I wonder what the ancient Egyptians did back in the day when it got this cold?

Hey, Karim greetings!  I tell my husband the same thing about the ancients.  I'm always like, '...can you imagine what it was like...'.  Honestly though, I'm right there with you on the cold thing.  It's freezing here in the winter; this is the coldest hot country ever!!  I heard it snowed last year...did anybody here see it?

That's why I always offer my help to ppl from some states I have been visit coz I was expat and alone with no family and I find many house opened for me and I find many families try to do all they have to make me happy and never feel alone and tell now appreciated all there help and support

Hey Rachel

Haha I'm glad you said that, I thought I was the only one that thought like that.

I always have thought about what the ancients did as well. I never realized how the world was till I explored it. You can only learn so much behind a desk or a text book back home.

As far as the snow I didn't even know that it snowed. However I'm sure people here freaked out about it, I mean when it rains here people don't know what to do.

However I am torn by the history of this country I feel like it deserves to be prioritized. What do you guys think, what if the pyramids of Giza were in the states, would it be prioritized and taken care of or would it be the same?

Hi Karim, interesting question as to how the pyramids would be preserved if they were in the US.  I didn't know they had an issue keeping them up here.  I see them every day and the main thing I wonder if I stare at them for long enough is how spectacular they must have been with the shiny limestone face on them when they were new.  I thought this government coveted them substantially, and kept them well guarded (well, you know, as much as possible between the European occupations).  But I was just speculating. I think they way they'd be cared for in the US would depend upon the state they were in.  If in D.C., I'm sure it would be done with the utmost in dignity.  On the other hand, if they were somewhere like Florida or New Orleans, I'm sure we'd just put Christmas lights on the palm trees around them, do some rock concerts events and maybe sell some plastic flamingos in shops nearby -- and I think that's kinda similar to what's done with them here.

"sell some plastic flamingo" .... hhhhh... you give me good mood for all day, Rachel...
I see there is a lot of people who think about ancient times. Really will be great to see how life was in that time especially with our nowadays knowledge.

As for snow in Egypt you can find pic on Facebook - in time of snowing I saw it in ribbon... something like that http://www.sott.net/image/s11/239330/large/a29da846d19134a1127ebdf70ffd6b.jpg

Amina, thanks so much for sharing this pic- I LOVE it and it's amazing...something I'd never thought I'd see!!!

How's the weather in Iraq?  I feel like it hasn't been too hot here lately.

:huh: Weather in Iraq... hmmm... how I can explain... it`s like you start to understand how chicken feel themselves when we put them to oven for roasting...  ;)

I don't know...that doesn't sound so good.  :P:o:)

Hi Rachel,

Where do you live here in Egypt?

Hi,
I am very new to Egypt, less than 2 weeks.
As I arrived here, there were 2 things hit me about this place, the heat and the dust.
I thought it's only me.. glad to know I am not the only one trying to clean my flat but still ended up with dusty floor in the end of the day... lol

Ameria

ameriaoktaviani wrote:

Hi Rachel,

Where do you live here in Egypt?

Hi Ameria, I live in Haram, actually my area is not far from October.  I like going to shop there.  Have you been to the malls and stuff yet?

And yes, the dust is never ending, and it gets everywhere!