Hi, I am new to this site and was just after some advice, please. And I have searched for posts re moving, but I can't seem to find any that are more up-to-date!
My husband and I are looking at moving to Spain. We have visited many times (my grandparents had a place in Torre Blanca), and I have a family member in Alhaurin de la Torre. We would be moving with our 5yr old son, and 1 year old daughter. I have wanted to move there from being 17, but I met my husband and we married and had children instead!
I work from home (a few hours a day, but always potential for more hours), my husband is a self employed heating engineer. We would be considering me working more hours, and my husband helping at home more and looking at work casually (not a requirement straight away). We have savings which would cover us for at least a year also.
The reasons we want to move there -
- the family rich lifestyle, I love strolling through the park in Benalmadena (can't remember it's name!), On a weekend and seeing all the families.
- the festivals
- I'm not going to lie, the weather!!
- I prefer their views re breastfeeding and child upbringing (okay odd point, I know, but breastfeeding rate in UK is 1%!!!, And there is constant battles between formula vs breastfeeding which drives me insane).
- I am not exactly happy with the schools system here, they are so restricted due to the government, there are so many rules and guidelines to follow that I feel the children are being pushed too hard. My son is happy at school, but they have basically said by next year he NEEDS to be up on par with everyone else , there is no resources to help him a lot more.
- the constant propaganda re people on benefits, it seems people just want to talk about this all the time.
- the public transport is so much better. The trains are out of this world compared to the grubby, stuffy compact trains in the UK. It makes any commute miserable.
- I find the cost of living cheaper in Spain (food shopping wise), if you buy local produce (which we would/do)
- the economy, how bad is it?
- maybe the schools aren't much better. Do we chose a bilingual or Spanish state school?!
- fitting in, for us and our children.
We love Mijas Pueblo, Benalmadena pueblo, Los Pacos (although not sure we would live there?). Also I imagine Mijas is very busy with tourists in the height of summer. Any insight into these areas? Pros and cons.
Where do I even start ay looking to move? I.e. the legal requirements?
I will be so grateful for any advice/tips/info.