Close

How much will it cost to build a house?

I am new in this community, just retired and would like to continue with my previous planning to build a house in Oslob, Cebu. I have a 2D and semi 3D drawing of the house and have in my mind how it should look like. It will be not a common western style of house, but an ancient Asian type of house (Japanese/Chinese/Korean) combined with Balinese touch. The 'living area' of the house will be around 120 - 160 sqms. We bought already a land in Oslob (my fiancee is Filipina).  Anyone knows good 'Architect, builder, contractor' who is really reliable? I don't expect the finish of the house will be like 'BMW' or 'Porsche' or 'Mercedes', but NOT 'chop chop' car like Rusco etc. Our experience with small condo we just bought in Cebu was horrible. We must get 'new good Subcontractor', spend almost 2 months to remove all inside the condo incl. CR and must ‘redo’ all over again and teach the 'new good sub constructor' and his workers how to do 'good' work, must stayed in hotel close to this condo to 'control' their job every few days. Was stressful experiences just for a small 24 sqm condo. Lucky this nightmare is over now and we really can enjoy to come to Cebu city and stay in our condo instead looking for accommodation in booking.com.
I would appreciate if someone in this community who had good experiences with her/his 'builder/contractor/architect' could help us. Important I think to have some one living in South part of Cebu, not too far from Oslob.

@sirrobcentral

Can i have your Facebook please looking to start building my house next year :) .

Building something that is new to the locals will mean you being there each day to supervise and also instructing them on the build.  I began wondering how strong the concrete was when my guys were talking about 8 to 1 mix until I realised that the chaps can only carry half a bag of sand that results in 4 to 1 haha. The finishers will be expensive but worth their money. About 2 out of 10 workers will be hard workers and the others trying to spread the job out. Make sure your "guest CR" has a bucket and taboo on the right hand side and I found soaking the grout in the tiles with a silican fluid from ACE hardware keeps them less dingy. I enjoyed using the PPR pipe work 3/4 inches allows good pressure to your sinks etc and trey to design with out junctions that add up to cut the pressure down, PPr pipe bend a treat! good luck

sirrobcentral :

Dimples, on my Facebook page I have been posting the progress videos of my house as it is being built. I started with just a shell and lot... cost P470,000,00. I showed from start to present... Upon completion it will be a 3bdr + a Master's Suite + a separate maid's quarters... it's all captured on video so there are no questions as to the facts. Upon completion my out of pocket for construction cost will not be over P600,000,00. I will inbox you my Facebook contact information so you can view for your self. I have a lot of videos I have made that I share with my friends from the United States because many are Pensioners like me that just want to live stress free.

Hi. can i get your facbook or u can email me on ***. looking to start build my house in silang next year. Will very much appreciate your reply.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 months ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi..I was planning to build a house too, can you please inbox me your facebook as well?
Thank you.

Hi there im a ex pat aussie  married we live in oslob  cebu got a great beach front land  im very intetested in your comments .family lives in Minglanilla. Just 2 hours away so im at the building  site each day watching ...our budget is 3m for house  as im a trade qualified builder in australia  im doing it all  .but not the hollow blocks ..

Rollie poly :

Hi there im a ex pat aussie  married we live in oslob  cebu got a great beach front land  im very intetested in your comments .family lives in Minglanilla. Just 2 hours away so im at the building  site each day watching ...our budget is 3m for house  as im a trade qualified builder in australia  im doing it all  .but not the hollow blocks ..

Hi Rollie poly

I take it you are talking about the cost of building the house?  As I assume you (wife) have already purchased the land?

It is not very easy to answer your question.  You will need to know how many squares will the house be, 100 or 300 square meters?  How many floors, how many windows, type of glass you will be using, type of finishing you are looking at, balconies, etc. etc.

I am also not sure what your question is?  It sounds like you have already started to build, yet you have not done and estimate on how much it will cost you.

Dear Rollie, we just lost an Australian chap who also worked in the building trade and got into all sorts of bother with the local builders because of different styles of "doing it" in the Philippines. Frustration and patience are your main worries and we went through the same experience building our homes since 2006.
Its the finishing that the guys are not so hot on and its high paid men who have the skills. Also the architects here do not consider the suns position when designing the house and when you move in, its a case of "we should have done this or that".
We built a small place in San Lius Batangas where I could put together marine ply sailing dinghy's and go straight through my driveway down the beach. When the coconut palms bent almost double during typhoons I'd be out on the balcony with a hot mug of tea taking in the airs and rain haha.

Its difficult for a foreigner without practical skills to follow the plans and check progress and the only way is to rely on a large developer who has a good reputation.

hi can you also send me the videos or tag me in facebook so i can have an idea before building a house? thank you very much

Please tell me your facebook id for the house video

A home builder is called just an architect here and will have some designs to interest prospective new clients. His quotation for what you want will be in the region of 25,000 pesos per sq meter of living space. A small 2 bed home either bungalow or 2 story will be about 80 sq mts therefore we are saying 2 million for the package. If you want special granite tiles and upmarket bathroom fittings they will be extra since  his price is for simple mid range fittings. Doing it yourself will be just over half that figure but you will need a good foreman (not family) to get the workers moving!!! It is imperative that you visit at least 2 properties that have been built by this architect before parting with a deposit. Usually the architect will have premises where he stores his sand and gravel that he bulk orders.

Hello sirrobcentral can I have ur fb page too please.  I need to build a house too