Non muslim during Ramadan with muslim husband

Hello everyone, just would like to ask anyone who is married to a moroccan that is not muslim, for someone who can't fast for health reasons or for whatever reason, how do you both find a balance during the time of Ramadan ?..thank you of you take the time to reply to my question.

Hello Lynn,

I am a Canadian woman married to a Moroccan man.  During Ramadan my husband and his family fast.  I choose to fast as much as I can because I want to support him and his beliefs.  But there are times when I cannot fast.  If one is sick, menstrating, pregnant or dehydrated you should not fast.  I do drink water because I become dehydrated.  I do not drink water or eat in front of my husband.  I keep fruit, nuts and bread in case I feel nausiated from not eating then I will eat them in another room.  While my husband is aware that I eat and drink I do not want him to be tempted.  He understands that I sometimes will become dehydrated or nausiated from lack of food and water.  He does not want me to become ill.  He says I cannot fast all at once its to much for someone who normally does not fast.  Baby steps he says until I am able to fast completely and again it is up to me if I want to fast.  I do it to clean out my system  and to support my husband. I have a very understanding husband.  I wish you the best and have a great Ramadan.

Lynn19 wrote:

Hello everyone, just would like to ask anyone who is married to a moroccan that is not muslim, for someone who can't fast for health reasons or for whatever reason, how do you both find a balance during the time of Ramadan ?..thank you of you take the time to reply to my question.

There is no reason you should fast or try to find a balance. Continue life as normal as it's not a requirement for you. I've fasted in non-Muslim countries, and everyone around me was eating & drinking as usual. He will just get on with it fine like the rest of us. Anyway there is 4 or so days left and it's over. So no need to worry about it for another year at least!

Thank you both for your replies..sorry I've taken so long to answer..I.appreciate your input..I.was just curious how people find a balance between spouses who differ that way..I have not moved to morocco yet so I don't know first hand how it is ..thanx regards lynn

My brother came down to stay at mine, as he's currently on break from University. He doesn't fast. And doesn't try hiding this fact from me. It doesn't bother me one bit that he's doing it in front of me. I've never asked him to stay out of sight when eating/drinking or expected this from him. I think when you're fasting, you are focused on yourself, focused on your desire to fulfill a religious obligation, and so don't (and shouldn't) care what people around you are doing. At least that's my experience of it. If you care about what people are doing, and tempted by it, you're not doing it right. I think the exception would be if someone is addicted to something, for example a heavy smoker. Then it's not a good idea to smoke near them if they are fasting, or do anything to remind them of it.

I agree..it's all about having respect and good manners..a little of that goes a long way..Eid Mubarak to you regards lynn

Thank you.

Eid Mubarak to everyone!

:top: