Don't expect prevalent English fluency in Taipei

Earlier today (June 10, 2016) I strolled through the 9th floor of the Mitsukoski Department Store on Nanjing W. in Taipei.
The 20ish young male sales clerk at one of the pop-ups selling silver charms and upscale luggage seemed fashion-conscious with a neat haircut.
"Do you happen to speak English?" I said slowly.
He first knitted his brows. I repeated myself. He then responded "A little."
His reply is the go-to solution for most Taiwanese stumped by relatively easy-to-understand spoken English.
"Where are these charms made?" I asked slowly.
He again seemed perplexed as if I had asked him to recite the value of pi to the 25th digit.
There are no shortage of English as foreign language schools in Taiwan and the language is taught in junior high.
But the problem is that any English-gifted Taiwanese would not likely work as a salesperson, considered a lowly job in the nation. So those who end up behind a counter pitching vacuums, blenders and jewelry are typically slackers in school, which only reward for scoring high on tests.
And how much spoken English does one need to score 90% on exams?
Obviously much less than this young salesperson, who probably would, if more academically inclined, take a civil service exam to secure a stable, more respectable job.       
Now you know.

Questions and answers about Taipei

Ask your question
Hello! Visiting Taipei Dec. 15-Dec. 17
By gavinhee
biz man
Ideas of things to do in Taipei?
By biz man
Hey everyone!! I'm new to forums. HELP!
By Robert.Smith
Looking for entrepreneurial new friends!
By SarAllenHappy
Boutique Skincare Taipei
By Courtney01
What is the best area to live in Taipei?

Expatriate health insurance in Taipei

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Taipei

Moving to Taipei

Find tips from professionals about moving to Taipei

Travel insurance in Taipei

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Taipei

Flights to Taipei

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Taipei