Expand your social circle in Panama

Hello everyone,

Moving to Panama means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Panama? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Good topic - I would enjoy reading some replies!

Im so lonely living up here next to Paradise......just me and my doggieand my attack cat.....You are all invited to come drink with me, so I dont feel so lonely and isolated.........we will drink heartily and solve all the worlds problems right here in upcountry Chiriqui.........the navel of the Americas...........

Hi! As in all countries getting to know locals is sometimes intimidating, certainly some of them are really opened to friendship, others not so much. One of the best ways to do some networking is by working! Since i have my job i have met many nice people from different nationalities; before my job, i made quite a few friends through here and facebook. Mostly expats to whom i can relate. If you have some free time join a course or a club! In cinta there are many fitness groups too

Learn some Spanish, say something nice. I have found it really easy to make friends here. Maybe it's different in the busy city but out here in Chiriqui, people are very friendly and it's usually easy to strike up a conversation. Talk to your neighbors, talk to everyone, smile, be respectful and kind. It's also helpful to get involved in activities where you can meet others like art class, tennis club, hiking group, or whatever interests you.

Great topic... I'll admit it - I'm concerned about leaving family/friends behind while being excited about a good retirement in Panama

The largest and best social network group in Panama is Internations which is a global group with branches in capitol cities in over 30 countries.  You can join for Free and attend a few events to check it out before being asked to join (costs around $76 USD per year and all monthly meets are free) or continue as a free member but pay $10 to $15 per event.  They have a monthly social at a different bar, restaurant or club where over 100 from all over the world attend.  They also have subgroups like monthly dinner club at different restaurants, single's meeting, business networking, etc.

Here is a link to their Panama City website:   https://www.internations.org/panama-city-expats

Steven Rich, MBA