Expand your social circle in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Moving to Mexico means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Mexico? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I suggest getting comfortable with the language, then start with your neighbors. I have met people who have become friends, in the market, and in the restaurants. But my first friends were neighbors, I have also made friends from meeting people who know the owner of the house I rent from, she has become a very valuable friend. Through them I meet others.

What i think is a mistake is to search for other Americans so you can stay in your comfort zone. I'm not saying if you encounter Americans don't be friends with them, I 'm saying in order to really adjust you need to adapt, and being exclusively in an American group is not helpful. I know someone who is in another expat group that told me about a woman who was in his group. He didn't know what to say to her . She said she was so depressed and alone. She lived in Merida, there are a lot of people in Merida.

Hello Priscilla,
I have been living in Mexico for the past 3 years and so far so good. The people are nice and I get along with the locals well. I first move to Cancun and later in transfer to Mexico City and I can say I love Cancun, its actually a place to be especially entertainment.

dear friends i am from Pakistan and i want to apply for  MEXICO TOURIST VISA.   is there any one from Pakistan to guide  me please?

hrasheed109 wrote:

dear friends i am from Pakistan and i want to apply for  MEXICO TOURIST VISA.   is there any one from Pakistan to guide  me please?

You need to visit a Mexican Consulate if there is one

My only Gringo neighbors are only here for 3 to 5 months in the winter.  It's hard not to know almost everyone ..... but without Spanish I would be in trouble.

A few miles away there is a beach town with plenty of Gringos if I feel the need

I have lived in an interior city here in Mexico. I found teaching part time for a language school opened a lot of doors to people. Also, I took interest in my neighbors jobs and social outlets. One is a lawyer and the other is a conductor of one of the local universities symphonies.  This led me to doing a lot of work or relaxing at Starbucks and another coffee shop. This lead me to knowing most of the people worth knowing  in my area of this 1.1 million person town. I now find myself with more friends than in the USA.

I am moving to teach in Puerto Vallarta this coming 10 of August to teach a little of everything.   So if anyone already lives the please email me at xxx I have rented an apt in the Hotel Zona

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please kindly exchange contact details via the private messaging system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Craig:
How do you get to teach in Mexico?  Do you have a skill that cannot be met by a Mexican citizen?  I'm just curious because I am a tutor in the U.S. and wanted to continue with my work in Mexico.   I am studying Spanish now.   Do you teach online as well?