Expand your social circle in Denmark

Hello everyone,

Moving to Denmark means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Denmark? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

The best way to make local Danish friends is to be open and taking first step. Inviting friends for dinner or holding some barbecues in summer. Participate in local events. Jule frokost, sommer fest, and other local festivals. People at work can be helpful. Danes can be cold to start friendship but can be nice once they know you.

I think the first step towards socializing and networking is joining a volunteer organization where one can come in contact with people from different countries including danes  and work together on a common platform. At Green Thumbs Community Gardening group we do just that.  Situated in the heart of Copenhagen at Verdens Kultur Center,  it brings together folks from all parts of the community especially ex-Pats and other immigratnts. As a foreign student I made long lasting freinds through my volunteer work and continue to do so until this day.