Expand your social circle in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Moving to Costa Rica means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Costa Rica? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I've been here for 16 years. I managed to get myself married to a tica (a Colombiana who's a nationalized tica) and most of my friends are ticos.

I don't socialize nearly as much as I did for my first decade here.

But here are 5 tips for meeting people, especially Costa Rican people...

1. Do not hang only with expats, get to know and befriend the ticos as well...
2. To do that it helps greatly to have the ability to communicate in their language...
3. Learn to dance, so that you're not left sitting when everyone else is dancing, or looking like a fool while trying to "disco" your way through a salsa or merengue tune...
4. Learn to enjoy the Latin American version of futbol...don't be too quick to choose sides, or you'll alienate half the population rather quickly...
5. Immerse yourself in the tico culture, since it's wonderful and wonderfully refreshing compared to what you left...

That's the five that quickly come to mind and that have worked for me over the years.

Pura Vida,

Scott

Getting involved in your local church is a great way to meet, serve and do life with awesome people!

I have lived in Santiago San Ramon Alajuela  for almost 9 years and the best social and cultural group I know of and was a member for awhile is    GRINGO CENTRAL IN SAN RAMON.  They work closely with the city government, US EMBASSY and a lot of charitable organizations

[email protected]