Expand your social circle in Belize

Hello everyone,

Moving to Belize means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Belize? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

When it comes to making friends in Belize it is pretty much like anywhere else in the world. Finding activities you enjoy will automatically introduce you to like minded people. Getting involved in the clean up crews, or volunteer in a local organizations. The one major difference that I have noticed in Belize is that often things are not advertised, but spread by word of mouth, so being open (something we expats are not always good at) and talking to people is a major asset. Meeting locals has been easy for me although a major adjustment for me was that sarcasm is not well received or at least not understood as a method of communication.  Social media is another good way to meet other expats. In general I have found that people in Belize and in particular the locals will accept you as you are, and it is part of the culture to overlook differences in opinion and look for common ground to move forward, as long as, you show respect for their customs and beliefs and show a genuine interest to learn and adopt the culture. Just my experience and view from the cheap seats. Hope it helps.

Questions and answers about Belize

Ask your question
Corozal Atlantic Bank ?
By curious15
Prudence L
Visiting for 6 months to a year
By Prudence L
Cost of living in Belize – 2015
Regal Eagle
New to
By Regal Eagle
U.S. Social Security Payments