Expand your social circle in Argentina

Hello everyone,

Moving to Argentina means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Argentina? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

In Cordoba, there are groups which allow people from other cultures to interact. Most of them are held in hostels. They're mainly for a younger crowd though.

I would try expat groups on Facebook. You might find one or two friends that you can meet in person in your host country. I haven't had much look with these personally, but I know it has worked for some people.

I'm from the States, so for me it's been particularly difficult socializing with locals because of the negative and erroneous points of views that they have about the U.S., which have been passed on from generation to generation.

So I've usually limited my interactions with locals as a result. From my personal experience I can say that living abroad can be an extremely lonely experience, but sometimes necessary. I realize this is a bit pessimistic, but this is just my perspective. I'm sure others have had better luck.