Conside moving to sweden and want to know about life there?

I am greek, living with my housband and 1 year old son as a permenant citizen in Finland. Before having child, finland was heaven, abit cold and dark but nice place to live. we were happy with our life and our work. How ever having a child have changed every thing. Unfortunantly Finns are not yet open to finland. No matter how long you live here, or even if you born here, you work, you............. still you are a forigner. I know my son will be a foringer back in his father land greece, since he didnt born there and he will not grow there! I dont want him to feel forigner also in the country that he actually lives. For this reason we are considering to move out of finland. Prefebably to one of scandinavian. I would like to know how is the life for forigner in sweden? how well they integrate and melt between native swedish?

Hi moika, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I wish you good luck and i hope you get response soon.

All the best,
Christine

I was an immigrant in Sweden - several times actually, but only the first time around I did not speak Swedish (now when I go to Sweden I appear so Swedish to the locals they tend to think my Swedish accent is that of a Swedish-American, not a foreigner, since my Swedish is still very good, save for the accent.

But when I came to Sweden the first time I spoke no Swedish, but a passable English and had no trouble with integration, being a university student at the time and later marrying a Swede and his social and family circle. Besides I am as blue-eyed blond as a stereotypical Swedes are "supposed" to.

My daughter, who came to Sweden when she was 8 years old had a harder time becoming integrated, as unfortunately we bough a house in a far suburb of Stockholm - in the Stockholm's archipelago, with hardly any immigrants at that time - and the Swedish  kids there were awfully harassing her, so after a couple of years we decided to move to America - and I am glad we did.

We moved back to Sweden again and my daughter went to an international high-school ( a private school, not a school in an immigrant area), where kids were a lot more "wordly" than Swedish population in general and she integrated well, still having a lot of Swedish friends from that time. But it was a very expensive school.

Perhaps the Swedish kids in the Stockholm archipelago would have been equally unwelcoming to a Swedish kid from a different part of Sweden, since to them anybody not local was "foreign", so watch out for small town and rural attitudes,
I can only imagine how hard to integrate it must be for people who look foreign: dark hair, dark complexion. Your best bet would be then to live centrally in mixed areas ... and when in doubt put a kid in a private school.