Australian Pension Card.

I am an Australian and have been living in Sibulan for the past 34 months, and I am going back for a visit and medical checkups before my 36 months expires.

I notified Centrelink that I would be coming back for a visit and asked how do I get my Health Care Card, and Pension Card activated again..(my Medicare Card is still current,) and they told me that because I am now residing overseas that my cards are now redundant and I cant activate them.

Other Aussies living here tell me that their cards are always active because even though they live here they still have a home address in Australia, where all of their Centrelink information goes, and if I had a address in Australia as though I was still living there I would be able to have my cards current also. I cant understand how this works.

If I cant get my cards activated whilst staying in Australia I will have a problem using the doctors there, so if there is anybody who can help me here I would be most appreciated.

Please dont suggest what I should or should not do as I need advice from somebody who is really knowledgeable on this subject.
Thank you in advance.

The only way I know is to have an address in Australia where your renewed cards will be sent. I use my daughter's address in Australia and recently while on a visit I collected my renewed pension card and will do the same on the next trip to collect my renewed medicare card.

Hopefully this can work for you if you know someone whose address you can use.

But if you give Centrelink an address in Australia for your cards how does that work, because you are not living there?
I have already given them my address here in the Philippines when I moved here three years ago, and they told me that once I moved here and my cards ran out that would be it if I did not return back to Australia, so I dont know how that works Freddie.

Hi David

I think the problem is that you advised them that you are living permanently in the Philippines. I haven't done that, so I think that is the difference. I am here in Phils on tourist visas that I renew and Centrelink have my daughter's address as my residential address.

If you have been living overseas for more than 5 years then the following could apply:

Medicare Returning Residents

Medicare Card Enrolment

If you have been living out of Australia for less than 5 years then I am not entirely sure of the situation, but it does seem that you need proof of residency in Australia to renew your Medicare card.

I have a small online business with an ABN and submit tax returns as an Australian resident. I think perhaps this helps, as the departments are linked and I appear to be living in Australia.

If you have a MyGov account you could clarify the issue by email through the department.

Once you arrive in Australia and go through Immigration Centerlink is automatically notified.
If you have an address in Aussie registered with Centerlink you will receive a new updated pension card in the mail within a few days.without even wasting your time going there.also waiting way way to long before getting seen

This is fact and i iterate this from experience as in my last entery intp Aussie last March 2nd 2017

Hope this is of use to you. I will be back thete end of this month.

Cheers

You are 100% right irishoz no need to advise Centerlink, your pension card will come to your Aus address.

Has anyone heard of this that if you are in a  live in arrangement with  your g/f Centerlink will deduct up to $100 per week off your aged pension,

It appears to be true. If you read the single pension rate it reduces by about $100 per week if you have a partner.

Centrelink probably is assuming that in Oz you either receive a couples pension if the other partner is of pensionable age or if the partner is not of pensionable age he/she would be receiving a salary or Newstart allowance or similar.

There appears to be no adjustment for single pensioners living with a partner in a country that doesn't have similar social security conditions to Australia. A partner in the Philippines would not receive a similar pension and would not receive any unemployment benefits while looking for work.

You can also assume that if you are living in another country and have children with a foreign partner you won't receive any allowances for those children, but I haven't tested that!

.irishoz wrote:

Once you arrive in Australia and go through Immigration Centerlink is automatically notified.
If you have an address in Aussie registered with Centerlink you will receive a new updated pension card in the mail within a few days.without even wasting your time going there.also waiting way way to long before getting seen

This is fact and i iterate this from experience as in my last entery intp Aussie last March 2nd 2017

Hope this is of use to you. I will be back there end of this month.

Cheers

But you do need an Australian address that Centrelink can assume is your Australian residential address.

I was there in January and renewed my Medicare card with no problem and had already received my new pension card, sent to my daughter's address.

I think that once you advise Centrelink that you are living overseas permanently you will lose your entitlements other than your pension, but stand to be corrected if I am wrong on this.

I have a small online business and still lodge Australian tax returns, this also gives me a bit of an edge, I think.

Each time I enter Australia I regain the pension supplements that I lose when I leave the country, so Centrelink know via Immigration when you are in or out of the country.

OzFreddie wrote:
.irishoz wrote:

Hope this is of use to you. I will be back there end of this month.

Cheers

But you do need an Australian address that Centrelink can assume is your Australian residential address.

I was there in January and renewed my Medicare card with no problem and had already received my new pension card, sent to my daughter's address.

I think that once you advise Centrelink that you are living overseas permanently you will lose your entitlements other than your pension, but stand to be corrected if I am wrong on this.

I have a small online business and still lodge Australian tax returns, this also gives me a bit of an edge, I think.

Each time I enter Australia I regain the pension supplements that I lose when I leave the country, so Centrelink know via Immigration when you are in or out of the country.

When you go through immigration you are asked where you can be contacted you leave an address thats how centerlink gets your address