Life in Port Moresby, questions from a potential newcomer

Hi everybody,
My name is Gerard and I've a potential professional opportunity in PNG, based in POM.
A question I imagine very classic, but I would like to have some information on the current level of security in the city. Is it easy to find a house ?
Otherwise, is the expatriate community (all nationalities) important ? How is life in general in the city (restaurant, social gatherings...) Are there any kind of places (on the coast or inland) not far from POM to easily escape the city for a day or 2 during the weekend?
Thank you in advance for your answers.
Greetings
Gérard

Hi Gerard,

Housing is easy to come by, plenty available currently, but it is quite expensive. I imagine housing will be included in your package, if not you will need to look at your package very carefully as housing can be more than most expats make!

The expat community in Pom is quite large and very friendly, there are many restaurants, clubs, bars and other social places to relax, enjoy a beverage or a meal and unwind. There is always events going on as well that include balls, degustation dinners and social night. Also there are many sports events and teams - squash, sailing, diving, fishing, tennis, gyms, kite surfing and more.

In terms of escaping for a day or two there are places you can do this. Koitaki Club at Sogeri is quite popular, and easy as a day trip or you can camp or rent a cabin. Some people go to Black Rock at Gaba Gaba and camp (mainly kite surfers) or Hula as well.

If possible you can request your potential employer to bring you to Port Moresby for a few days so you can see for yourself what it is like. I think you will find it can be a great place to live and work if you.

Dear Aatuti,
Many thanks for your message and this information. What about the security situation in POM ?
Cheers.
Gérard

Hi Gerard,

Currently the situation is quiet - although the media reported much violence and issues last week, there has been nothing further.

Pom can have its issues from time to time, but if you use common sense your unlikely to ever have any issues. Keep your doors liked whilst driving, stick to the main areas and keep an eye out for potential issues. I have my wife and children here with me, they travel quite freely during the day to different play groups and events. At night I tend to do the driving though, and we try to stay in the main town area and avoid travelling over the hill unless necessary. They feel safe living here and if I didnt think they would be I wouldnt have moved here. There are many families, many children and very little issues ever arise with the expat community.

It's a beautiful country and most of the locals are friendly. I am a female professional who lived 4 1/2 years in POM , of which two years  was on my own. You need to be really careful of your security.  In my case once my laptop which was on my bedside cupboard was stolen while I was a sleep.  Nothing else was stolen two years ago.   I changed the house and moved in to one of most secured area
I returned two weeks ago , after a  horrified incident where two rascals  have broke in to my house  at 2 am ,one pointing gun at me ,our lives were barely saved due to my extreme yelling for help .  This time I didn't want to take  further risks , we took only the essentials and left the country,abandoning the schooling of my teenage sons.
Pls ask your potential employer to invite you for an exposure visit prior to take up your position and always negotiate on take home salary in your preferred  currency .

Dear Aatuti,

Many thanks for your second message, much more positive than what I saw on the web regarding security issues. I will let you know if I'm selected for the position in PNG.

Cheers.

Gérard

Dear,

Thanks for this message, which confirms that security is a critical issue in POM.

Cheers.

Gérard

Regarding accommodation, I would highly recommend Airways Residences.   I have worked there and if Security is your concern I would highly recommend Airways.  Rentals per month range from K18,000 per month to K36,000 tax exclusive. Turnaround time on maintenance is 48 hours max.
Let me know if you need more info.