United Private Schools Muscat

Hi all,
I am a single male from England who has been offered a maths teacher position in United Private Schools in Muscat. I am wondering if anyone can provide some information about the school, accommodation, facilities etc. I read some horrific stories about the school and management but I want to make sure I have enough information before I commit .

Any information will be appreciated , many thanks

Berkee

Dear Berkee,

Whatever the horrific stories you have heard are absolutely true. Children of one of my friend are studying there and the parents have already decided to take them off, Its one of the most mismanaged school among the private sector

Dear Berkee,
Unfortunately, I worked for UPS from Aug-June 2016. I was one of the very unhappy teachers  (not one teacher was happy) who had the misfortune of moving to Muscat from the UK, with all the emotional upheaval that entailed, only to realise that UPS is nothing more than a money making, corrupt business.
The facilities are substandard and the senior management team is a joke! The owners have no teaching experience and threaten teaching staff constantly with deportation, if they speak out or disagree with their corrupt vision of how a school should be ran/managed.
British teachers are used as a front to give the schools credibility as International teaching establishments.
I could write all day telling you about the horrific experiences I endured whilst there, but suffice to say that all the horrific stories you say you have read are true.
I deeply regret accepting the position and it has taken me a long time and months of therapy to recover!
Don't do it, for your own sake. There are better and more rewarding schools to work for in Muscat.
All the best Izzie

Izzie, I have signed a contract to teach English at a school of UPS in Muscat.  I was wondering if you have a facebook page i could connect with to talk with you by private message in order to inform me about what to expect.  Would that be possible for you to let me know, and Ill get in touch right away.  Cheers, Chris.

Hi there, I have an interview for UPS in Muscat today and if offered the job, what salary and accommodation can I expect? I did teach in Kuwait for 3 years so I'm guessing my accommodation can't be any worse than there! ?

Any ideas anyone??

Lisa

Don't work there! I left last year after just one year of my contract. It doesn't seem to matter which of the branches you work at. They are all terrible. Poor management and bullying tactics. Many teachers 'run away' mid contract due to poor working conditions. All take and no give from UPS. Many more MUCH better schools in Oman. I liked Oman and was sorry to leave.

Hi any body out there can give me advice. I have been offered a teaching job at UPS. I already accepted the offer. I read the reviews.  I am worried now. Can someone tell me about UPS

Hi

I have read your review and is it possible if you could chat to me.

Hi
Are you working in ups in Oman?
I am from London and get a offered and need some information please

Hi all, my name is Vickie and I have been working for UPS for over 12 years. In despite of all the negative comments you have read or heard UPS is a family community. The management team is professionally and personally supportive throughout your contract, and try their very best to solve issues where they can. Many teachers over my past 12 years have left and many have wanted to come back as they thought the 'grass was greener on the other side', however they found that this was not true. All schools around the world will have issues, its up to you as the teacher on how you solve those issues. Just remember being a teacher is not about the job its about the students.

I don't have any experience with the school in question but some things you need to be mindful of:

1) There are many schools across the GCC with similar reputation as private education is a good money making enterprise due to the fact that most expats have no recourse to anything but that for their kids.  Public schooling is primarily used by locals.  Any private school automatically gets credibility in the eyes of the public if the teaching staff is western vs. from other nationalities - hence the head hunting for western teachers
2) As an expat (in most GCC markets), your rights as an employee vs. an employer are severely lacking in the vast majority of the cases (varies country to country).  The employer can do a lot of things to you in the case of any dispute including preventing you from leaving the country.  Be aware that this is NOT the developed world with its system of checks and balances

So if you are not familiar with this part of the world, it is best to consider these elements before making your choices.

Hi I am Michele Nelson, and have worked for UPS in 2009-2010. I am a very enthusiastic teacher and was able to connect with the students on a positive level. The found the students eager to learn. I found that the management were prepared to assist wherever possible. Every school has its challenges for sure, but one has to learn to be open minded and flexible. I have found that UPS is very family oriented and staff very welcoming.
I joined UPS for the 2019 Academic year but my stay in Oman was cut short due to my husband passing away and I had to return home to be with my family.  I found the management as well as teaching staff very supportive and understanding during this difficult time.

I'm very sorry for your lost. I really, really appreciate the points you raised in your comments.

I fully agree with Vickie