Insurance coverage in the USA

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad requires adequate insurance coverage.

What type of insurance expatriates need the most in the USA: health, house or liability insurance? All of them? Do they come as a package?

Are there other insurance options to consider like critical illness, damage or property insurance?

Is it better to purchase insurance from an expat insurance specialist or from a local insurance provider?

And what about insurance costs?

Tell us about your experience in the USA.



Hi Kenjee,

I am an insurance professional here, in Illinois and will share my opinion.

First, and most important, is to do your medical check up and dental work at your home country.

When purchasing the ticket, or first days and months here, in the US, you can purchase travelers' medical insurance (it may include problems when traveling, and such as cancelled flytes, problems with connections, luggage etc.),  or temporary medical insurance from local providers and for the local market. First is less expensive, and will cover medical issue, but without pre-existing one. It is built more as a package. The second is strictly medical, also no pre-existing conditions are covered, and should be paid for entire period you want to be covered. It is mostly for local people. 

In our insurance market here, the property insurance is split into many policies as: auto, home and renters (personal property is part from them and up to specific amount is covered when you travel-computer, radio, electronic toys), or a separate policy for high value belongings.

Everyone's need is different, so you should talk to an agent. Read some articles related to this topic as well.

Agents, we are in many cases specialised in particular areas, and our portfolios with offerings might vary greatly. It is always good to educate yourself first, and shop around. Know your questions.

Global and travelers medical insurance has specialized providers (insurance companies, agents and doctors and hospitals' networks).

After you are settled here, let say after 12 months, you'll have access to all insurance products which require verification of employment, legal status, tax status.

Your employer also mighto a very good source for insurance coverage, and he/the company, may pay part, or 100% from all insurance costs, or has group discounts.

All global insurance products are accessible nationwide and most, worldwide. The local market is by state. For example: I am licensed to sale insurance in few states, but international insurance I can sale worldwide. 

What ever questions you have, feel free to ask.

New topic