Insurance coverage in New Zealand

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad requires adequate insurance coverage.

What type of insurance expatriates need the most in New Zealand: health, house or liability insurance? All of them? Do they come as a package?

Are there other insurance options to consider like critical illness, damage or property insurance?

Is it better to purchase insurance from an expat insurance specialist or from a local insurance provider?

And what about insurance costs?

Tell us about your experience in New Zealand.



If you are travelling just as a tourist, you'll want to get private health insurance through outfits like the blue cross etc.

If you are moving there for work, you will automatically qualify for the universal health care coverage.  You don't need to pay for this as it will automatically be payed out of your income tax.  There is a nominal fee per visit to the doctor that everyone needs to pay.

For home rental property insurance, there are several private insurance providers to choose from.  When you open your personal bank account, you might inquire with them, as many banks offer such insurance policies at competitive rates.


I think it is important to have insurance in NZ. 1st get Life cover and trauma cover and income protection. as soon as you can afford get medical cover.
Do your insurance through a broker and not with the bank.
Fire and general insurance is very important as well.

Insurance is expensive. If it is for health they penalize you heavily if you have any health issues. Even if they are minor ones. I have heard people complain that it can be challenging to get payments too,

New topic