Permanent residency in Philipines ?

I will retire in 30 months time and then I can decide whether to stay in the UK or relocate. I will visit the Philipines next year and if I like it may consider retiring there.

My question is how easy is it to get a long term visa or obtain residency for an Englishman ? Does one need a large sum of money to invest, and is it possible to still get the UK pension ?

If residency is not possible what is the maximum time for staying on a tourist visa?

I am new here and just exploring future options.

Keef

You can apply for SSRV (Special Resident Retiree's Visa) which entitles you to multiple-entry privileges with the right to stay permanently/indefinitely in the Philippines.

Thank you very much. Very kind of you

You're Welcome. My Pleasure ;)

The process is straightforward but can be extremely frustrating at the same time.  It WILL take more than 30 days best to get a 59-day visa to avoid extra needless costs.

You can either put up a $20K (USD) deposit to reduce hassles.  IF you wish to reduce your deposit amount to $10K (USD) you will need a monthly pension (I think $800 or $850/month, if single) that should be verified BEFORE you arrive (like most things there are workarounds) at a Philippine Embassy (check online for where to go and EXACTLY what needs to be brought).  Not sure if you need to make an appointment or not.

Once you arrive you will need to bring all requirements to the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), they will give you 2 deposit slip forms you will need to pay $1,760 USD (or PHP equivalent) at the designated bank and get a receipt and return it to the PRA.  $1,400 USD is for the non-refundable application fee and $360 is for the YEARLY visa renewal fee.  You can pay for a max of 3 yrs at a time.

One thing that pissed me off - was the deposit; since the bank only pays .3% APR for deposits I did not want to have any more money in that than I had to.  So I asked how much to send - they told me - $10K USD - I know my bank charges a fee to send so I said send $10K take the sending fee out of my account so they SEND $10K - sure enough my application was held up because the PHILIPPINE bank withheld approx. $20 for receiving the money.  I even asked if I could wire more and get the remainder for depositing in an account when the SRRV was approved they said "no" but could not think to say - by the way, you need to send additional amount for the receiving bank???  I was mad and said I KNOW I am NOT the first person to make this mistake, right?  She said yes, most people make the same mistake.  I hope she does better by the next people (I also wrote to the Manila PRA office).

They will forward the paperwork - if you are not applying in Manila (Cebu was easier for me).  My approved SRRV (a single-page visa placed in my passport along with a SRRV card with the appropriate expiration date) was forwarded to Cebu and they did not let me know until I called the Cebu PRA Office after contacting Manila and found out my application was "over-nighted" several days before.

There are several perks to SRRV, you can go to school, work, own property or a business with one.  You can also bring in $7K worth of household goods without duty within 60 (or 90 days) but the property has to be OWNED by you for at least 15 or 30 days before arrival.  All of this can be found on the appropriate website (just Google PRA or SRRV or Philippine Retirement Visa).

I have more specific info but this is already a mini novel.

Good luck!

/Gary/

If I'm buying a Condo does that meet the requirement deposit for the SRRV?

Gary

That is all very good info should I need it.

Current thinking is that I will go over next year for a holiday, and when retired maybe stay longer, but is the maximum tourist visa only 59 days? I would like the opportunity to stay for 2-3 months

Just seen this website
https://philippines.visahq.co.uk/#!phil … er-30-days

and on a normal tourist visa I can come for 30 days but if I want longer have to apply but the max is 59 days.

Keef

There are certain requirements for the condo/apt/house (or long-term lease).  The minimum requirement as I understand is $50K.  Check with the PRA office in Cebu to get additional info. 

CEBU SATELLITE OFFICE
202 Club Ultima Fuente Tower II Crown Regency Hotel and Towers
near Fuente Osmena on Jones Ave. in Cebu City
Through front door up 1st escalator then turn right, right again, follow halway around to the left, the door will be on your right side.
Tel. No.: +63 032 238 8001           
Email address: [email protected]/[email protected]
Officer in Charge: Elma Corbeta

Good luck!

/Gary/

Sir,

Extensions can be made (for an additional 29 days or one month - mine was for 29 days but not sure if it was because I only came with a 30-day visa. but actual visas are good for up to 59 days unless you get a business visa but they are not easily obtainable (at least that is my understanding).  IF you start the process, the Philippine Retirement Authority) PRA can help but that requires the fee, surrendering your passport, and overnighting fees to their main offices (where they seem to do almost all the real work).

IF you get enough 1-month extensions they allow you to get longer ones - I think 1 yr. is the longest.  But it is expensive and if something goes wrong you are on the hook for extra hassles, etc.

I can't stress enough, to double-check with Immigration when getting extensions and verify the visas are indeed correct (including the dates for departures).  They sometimes require getting an NBI Clearance and/or Police Clearance before leaving.  IF you have a SRRV you only need that if you stay one year.

Good luck - let me know if I can help with other questions.  However, realize ALWAYS double-check!

Semper fi,

/Gary/

Thx for the info. Frank

i arived with 59 day tourist visa and had no problem at all to get 6 month extensions wen ever i needed them
icame here august 15 2014 and am living in Mati now hehe
this year i wil aply for resident vissa the first yr it is temporaly and then it becomes permanent ,costs 11000 peso first yr ,11000 peso to change it in permanent and from than on 200 peso each yr
greets Dirk

ps: the immigration office in Davao never gave me no hassel and wen i asked for information i was always well informed.

If you served in the military I would look into the courtesy SRRV. Instead of requiring the 10,000 dollars it requires 1,500. You didn't have to have retired from the military but only served and honorable discharged. Something to look into if you qualify.

Hi. I am english and have lived in the Philippines on and off for 12 years. First you don't need to invest any money second you arrive in the country and get a 1 month visa free,( you need a valid ticket out of the country) if you stay beyond the first month you go to immigration and ask for a visa renewal they will give you the forms to fill out. photocopies of your passport will be required, as will a 2 x 2 pic. simple, cost for 2 months 3000 peso but will be cheaper if you opt for a longer period. You need to leave the country every 2 or maybe 3 years, can't remember. that is no problem  a flight to malaysia is quite cheap, out one day back the nxt. remembering to have a ticket back out of the country. this is only required on arrival it is never asked for again.  I live here on my state pension of 630 quid a month, that equates to around 40,000 peso. Rent 3500 peso, elect 700 peso, water too small to account, gas for cooking at moment 600 peso for 11.5kg lasts many months, food well it depends on what you want, I am an ex chef, I shop in the local market haggling over a few peso, need to or they think easy meat for overcharge lol, typical food for me for one day  breakfast instant pancit canton much better than pot noodles around 10 peso coffee abou 3 peso. lunch sardines on toast 2 slices of bread and half tin of sardines say another 10 peso, litre of good lager 75 peso lol, dinner 1/3 kilo chicken cost about 50 peso veg very cheap, a few pesos, potatoes not so cheap but plenty of other veg are for virtually nothing.
As you can see life here is cheap. if you smoke you can buy 20 fags for as little as 25 peso, marlborough cost 50 peso. a bottle of brandy 95 peso, a bottle of the local hooch is as low as 65 peso a bottle. Laugh and joke with the locals and you will have a great life.
I am single but have a fabulous girlfriend, we live, love and laugh together. This is as good as it gets anywhere. By the way I live in Iligan city, Mindanao, not quite the end of civilisation but it does not cater in the slightest for foreigners, magic for me, I can go months and never see a foreigner. Come here throw yourself into the life, I have and whilst it has not alws been plane sailing its good for me.

willyv2b,

I am afraid you are incorrect about one thing.  Correct if you retired from the military, you can get a SRRV for $1,500 deposit and proof of around $800/month (not sure of the exact figure) if single and if married it is $1000/month pension or annuity etc.  However, if you are NOT RETIRED with a military pension it requires a minimum $10K deposit.  I am a former Grunt - but not retired from the Corps and the PRA told me about the $1.5K option but - it is only fo retired military.  I just got my SRRV in late FEB of this year so I am sure my info is the most current.

As I have said before, ALWAYS verify with the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA).

Just wanted to make sure people were properly informed.

Semper fi,

/Gary/

davtjo wrote:

Hi. I am english and have lived in the Philippines on and off for 12 years. First you don't need to invest any money second you arrive in the country and get a 1 month visa free,( you need a valid ticket out of the country) if you stay beyond the first month you go to immigration and ask for a visa renewal they will give you the forms to fill out. photocopies of your passport will be required, as will a 2 x 2 pic. simple, cost for 2 months 3000 peso but will be cheaper if you opt for a longer period. You need to leave the country every 2 or maybe 3 years, can't remember. that is no problem  a flight to malaysia is quite cheap, out one day back the nxt. remembering to have a ticket back out of the country. this is only required on arrival it is never asked for again.  I live here on my state pension of 630 quid a month, that equates to around 40,000 peso. Rent 3500 peso, elect 700 peso, water too small to account, gas for cooking at moment 600 peso for 11.5kg lasts many months, food well it depends on what you want, I am an ex chef, I shop in the local market haggling over a few peso, need to or they think easy meat for overcharge lol, typical food for me for one day  breakfast instant pancit canton much better than pot noodles around 10 peso coffee abou 3 peso. lunch sardines on toast 2 slices of bread and half tin of sardines say another 10 peso, litre of good lager 75 peso lol, dinner 1/3 kilo chicken cost about 50 peso veg very cheap, a few pesos, potatoes not so cheap but plenty of other veg are for virtually nothing.
As you can see life here is cheap. if you smoke you can buy 20 fags for as little as 25 peso, marlborough cost 50 peso. a bottle of brandy 95 peso, a bottle of the local hooch is as low as 65 peso a bottle. Laugh and joke with the locals and you will have a great life.
I am single but have a fabulous girlfriend, we live, love and laugh together. This is as good as it gets anywhere. By the way I live in Iligan city, Mindanao, not quite the end of civilisation but it does not cater in the slightest for foreigners, magic for me, I can go months and never see a foreigner. Come here throw yourself into the life, I have and whilst it has not alws been plane sailing its good for me.

think we have much the same life style only i live in Mati City the other side of Mindanao and i am maried to my Philippino love hehe.
indeed life is sweet to me.
was wondering after obligated leaving of the country is it not possibol to get ballik bayan stamp for the vissa ? much cheeper i here

dirk c,

I find some info missing from your post.  You have a resident visa.  Did you get simply by applying for it?  Are you married to a local?  I was married many many years ago to a Filipina and that sounds like what I was paying.  A little clarification might be helpful to others, to determine if they could also do what you did.

/Gary/

my wife is filipina,arived here 2014 on tourist vissa 59 days ,up til now i got 6 month extensions on the vissa ,next mont  i wil aplyfor resident vissa
info on that is availebol at the emigration website
greets Dirk

That is something you should have put in the post.  People who are married have no problems getting an ACR (Alien Resident Certificate).  Most people were asking about staying without marrying.  At least, that is what I understood.  Hence, the talk about SRRV (Special Resident Retirement Visa).

I've been in and out of the Philippines regularly for the past 35 yrs. but things change.  I like to keep abreast of the changes and was relatively certain you were married to a Filipina.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers!

/Gary/

Yes the British Pension Service. Will Pay your Pension in the Philippines.

i think the balyikbayan visa is much cheaper and you do not have to renew so often.

British pensions are not paid direct to Philippines, unless things have changed my pension is paid to my UK bank i transfere to PNB europe who transfer to my PNB in PH. My friend has his paid direct to PNB europe who pay his money to PNB in PH. These systems were set up a few years ago as the DWP stated they could not transfer direct to Philippines.

http://www.living-in-the-philippines.co … visa.shtml sorry the attached info is attached. 

I was sort of right.  You have to be married and with your wife upon entry.  You have to ASK for it and it can be approved but it is up to the immigration officer.

Sorry I was not 100% (more like 70%) correct.  It would save you money IF you are already married and IF the immigration officer gives you the stamp.

Before, I was always coming and going because of work so I rarely stayed more than 59 days so for me the Balik Bayan stamp didn't mean much!

/Gary/

You can stay 3  years on tourists visa without leaving . After the first 2 months you can renew visa for 6 months at a time , or apply for permanent visa or an investors Visa plus other options , look fo a suitable area to settle , explore the islands , there are many options To relocate

The Philippines have a 'reciprocal agreement' with the uk.
If you can get hold of Department for Works and Pensions information Booklet CF-N-701 12/13.
you can find the information on page 9. Or visit the Government Web Page.
www.gov.uk/government/publications/reci … greements.

I think you will still find that the UK pension cannot be paid direct to the Philippines.The reciprocal agreement refers to increases in pension payments etc the same as UK. Countries where there is no agreement the pension is frozen.

Because I worked in Germany My Pension has to be paid through the German Pension system.
My Wifes Spouse uk pension is paid direct to our Bank the Philippines.
!n 2012/2013 There was a big Shake up in uk Pensions. Perhaps  new regulations came into force then?

I am surprised because i recently checked and it appears that the system is the same as when I retired. I will investigate but I do not trust Ph banking system and my current system paid into uk bank and paid via pnb europe to pnb iligan gets my pension by 10 am on the due day.

I checked CF-N-701 it has nothing to do with paying pension direct to the Philippines. I have now emailed the international pension centre to clarify this point, as I can not find any reference to say that the situation has changed since I retired. I will copy this reply to this blog so that no confusion will exist.

Gary, I do beg to differ with your opinion regarding the SRRV for military.  I did receive my SRRV visa from the PRA in September 2015.  I am not retired from the military but a veteran.

I was told they have a new policy regarding allowing vets to get the visa without being retired military.

I would suggest to anyone possibly eligible to check this program out.  The renewal fee is also only $10 per year.  The requirement is only $1500 deposit and not $10-20,000.   Quite a difference in savings.  There is a lady named Mary Rose (look her up in earlier forums) that was very helpful. 

Her phone number is 639209697933.  Her fee is paid by the PRA so no cost to you.  Indeed it does cost $1400 fee to apply.  I hope this info will help for all considering permanent residency here. rainrider9.

No sweat about differing opinions or information.  This is an email I received from Nari at the Manila PRA office:

"Sir, military pension should be at least US$1,000.00 to be qualified under SRRV Expanded Courtesy. I any case, you will just apply under SRRV Classic with pension for US$10,000.00. Thank you.

Best regards,

Nari"

She responded to my email: 

"> > Ms. Nari,
> >
> > I am receiving a government pension based on my total government service -
> > from my military service (in the U.S. Marines) and from my CIVILIAN
> > government service (working for the Department of the Army and 3 yrs. for
> > the Department of Immigration & Naturalization Service)."

IF you have a disability claim and receive a pension of $1K/mo. it would appear you would qualify but otherwise, would need to get a regular retirement from the military.  Regardless, I hope anyone who can get this loophole gets it but from what she said I just put down the $10K deposit.

As I always write - even if I or you are correct, it really only matters what the gov't workers tell you and are doing (whether right or wrong).

Cheers!

/Gary/

wel ,i have my NBI clearance ,next time i go emigration i wil aply for resident visa
i renewed my visa only for 2 months so in august this story will conitnu ,the Nbi costed les than 200 peso .
so in august i will post how it went and how much the cots were .
as i am maried to a filipina ,i was told in Davao emigration it wood be 11 000 peso for the first year to get a temporali resident visa and an other 11 ooo peso for the permanent resident visa the next year
greets Dirk

Hi good day to all ex military, I emailed PRA to see if I qualified as an ex Royal Air Force serviceman, The reply was yes no problems. She replied within 24 hrs enclosing all the benefits and the application forms. it was a pleasant surprise at actually getting a reply to an email lol.
My advice to all is get the information you require direct from the horses mouth, then hopefully you will not be wrong.
I have found that provided you keep a clear head, it is possible to guide yourself around the myriad rules, regulations and requirements, it just takes time and we all have plenty of that.

Would you be so kind sir as to pass along the email of PRA specifically the person in charge of the ex-military permanent visa.
Thanking you in advance.

Hi good day the text below is who replied to my email. I  don't think it matters who replies. but this is the one that came back to me within 24 hours
GLAIRA KRIZIEL M. GARCIA
Public Relations Officer III
29/F Citibank Tower, 8741 Paseo de Roxas, Makati City, 1200
Trunk Line : 848-1412 loc. 150
Marketing Department - Client Relations and Program Development Division
Email Address : [email protected]

Gary, yes thanks for the reply.  We all certainly seem to get differing opinions from the gov't.  Much like our own.  Anyway if our discussion helps anyone else that is what the forum is for.  I was able to get mine without any trouble.  I do gave a pension for more than $1000 per month.  That may be the difference in some getting the special SRRV with the $1500 deposit vs $10,000.  rainrider9

The difference is not the pension money but the status, ex military get $1500 the rest $10000 That's the start and the finish

Its very easy to renew your visa here at the local immigration office.
Before your entry visa is about expire just go to the local immigration with your passport a copy of your info page from passport copy of your entry stamp.Also a photo of yourself 2x2.
Complete the form in immigration office pay your fee wait for your extension.

The longest you can stay on tourist visa is now 3 years (previously 2) just keep renewing as required.After the 3 years you just need to take a trip to Hong kong or Malaysia whatever is the cheapest then return even after only a day and the process starts again for extensions.
I've lived here for 5 years on a tourist visa.
Personaly i would not invest all that money into the Government scheme.
Please remember if you want to retire here foreigners cannot own land so either buy a condo or rent.

i prefere to aply for resident visa and later for dual citysensip ,once i have the dual i wil be able to own land or busenis and i wil no longer need to renew visas
greets Dirk

If you want to apply for citizenship you must live in the country for 10 years or if you are married to a filopina after 5 years. You will have to give up your British citizenship. You will not be allowed dual unlike your wife who can apply for both.