Permits/visas- which one should I be looking at?

Hello, my name is Kristen. I am a US Citizen preparing to go abroad to teach English in August/September, with the goal to teach in Timisoara, Romania.

I interviewed with one company, but was informed that I would need to interview in person, and have a CPN before hiring. I am wondering then if it would be possible for me to get clearance to work in Romania as a US Citizen?

I have been looking into visas/permits but I am not sure if I understand what applies to my situation. It looks like I would need to apply for a class D long-stay visa, and then extend this into a residence permit after finding employment. Another source said that I do not need to apply for a visa, but rather apply for the residence permit within 60 days of arrival. Another source said that I should apply for a work permit, but the employer will have to pay the fee.

There do not seem to be many people who have done this, so I was wondering if anyone who has relocated to Romania and found/followed employment could provide any more clarity of what sort of permit I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Kristen,

I would assume by CPN, you mean CNP :)  Your employer (with your cooperation), need to apply for a D/AM (Long-stay working) visa and work permit, which they support the cost and process.  You must have a long-stay visa approved before you can receive a residence permit under the revised law. 

If they want you to interview in person, you can come as a tourist (no visa needed) and interview, however you would have to return back to the US to do the D-visa and return to Romania.  You however cannot get a CNP as a tourist, you must be a resident with a valid visa/residence permit.  So if they refuse to hire you without a CNP, I don't see how that's going to work unless you first get a long-stay visa as a self-sufficient person.  It's a lot of headache frankly.

Hope this somehow clarifies your concern ;)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thanks! That information is very helpful.

Is it common that an employer would support an employee for a working visa or work permit? Or are these instances rare? My thought is that this would vary by industry. There is so little information about teaching English in Romania, I am wondering if it is even possible to find an employer who would support the visa process.

kristenherbert7 wrote:

Thanks! That information is very helpful.

Is it common that an employer would support an employee for a working visa or work permit? Or are these instances rare? My thought is that this would vary by industry. There is so little information about teaching English in Romania, I am wondering if it is even possible to find an employer who would support the visa process.

Overall, I'd say it's not very common as it is a lot of headache for the employer to deal with all of the bureaucracy.  They must prove the position cannot be filled by an EU citizen.  That said, in the teaching field, there's often plenty of EU candidates that can speak/teach English, specifically from the UK.   Romanians tend to learn British English as opposed to American English, but there are a number of Americans here teaching English and/or working in the private Kindergartens.

Anything is possible if you come along at the right time with the right opportunity.

Romaniac