If you are an expat who is renting a home here in Singapore for the first time, here are some tips for you :
"Yielding up of property before handover"
this clause which is stated in your tenancy agreement basically means that you should return the property to your landlord in the same condition which was handed over to you other than the usual wear and tear.
Some examples are :
- hiring a professional cleaning service for a top to bottom clean up of the property
- dry / steam cleaning of the curtains and/or blinds
- restoring of any walls which holes were drilled for hanging frames / tv sets
- should any furniture drag marks or stains occur on tiled / marble flooring, professional polishing will help to restore the flooring
- should there be scratches on parquet flooring / timber decks, professional varnishing will help to restore the flooring
- if there are leakages from wc unit or shower, a plumber can resolve this
- replacing burnt out bulbs or lighting that is not working
- any other damages which requires minor repairs, you can engage a handyman to rectify
There are companies out there specialising in post-tenancy reinstatement services like the above works under one roof. Just google and you should be able to find one easily.
Hope the above post is helpful to all tenants in Singapore