Moving to Korea

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, this is another of those emails where a Korea newbie solicits info....
if writing proves too difficult, please at least point me in some direction

Accomodation
I was introduced to Itaewon and guess that I may start off living there where there are more foreigners before moving to other parts of town when I'm culturally more adapted.
How far does a monthly rental budget of KRW 1.5 million go in the case of an individual?
Are there other areas you would recommend living in which have great access to sports and entertainment (night life etc)?

Culture Shock
I love meeting people, esp of different cultures but I have also heard some stories about xenophobia in Korea.
How true is this?
Any principles you could share on getting to know more Koreans?

Friends
Is there an active blog/community of like-minded foreigners I can contact to start life in Korea?

Many Thanks!

Welcome on Expat-blog thrad! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

You may also view the Seoul expat network to have some contacts.

I wish you good luck and do not hesitate to participate in the forum.

All the best,
Christine

Hello Thrad

I don't have a lot of experiences for renting in korea
But Seoul will be more expensive than other cities... depend the district too. Never rent something in Gangnam is out of price ( that i know )

Well about culture shock, I never had a problem with korean people but it's true that i can speak at least a basic korean so they maybe feel more comfortable ??
Do you study there ?? around the universities, you might meet a lot of foreigners and korean students willing to improve their english. But it's true that the "gentleman manners" are really important there. Respect is a key word.

Maybe you heard about a story who happen many years ago, when a American tank killed by mistake 2 korean students girls. That was a moment of tension and people hated the military people from abroad. But except that, i don't really feel xenophobia there...

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your replies (especially those who sent pm's). I'm sorry it took me so long to respond.
In the past three weeks, I was either travelling for work or for holdiays, hence did not get much access to the internet.

I am moving there for work, but the plans are still iffy.

Cheers