Close

What to bring with us vs buying when we arrive

Hi everyone

Are there any things that you would recommend bringing with you, rather than buying when you arrive?

I'm trying to get quotes for shipping, so want to work out what we'll be bringing other than personal effects.

It would be good to know of anything that is  difficult to get, limited choices, or things that are much more expensive in Malta. That way I can work out if we should ship certain items, or buy things in the UK before we move.

I wondered about: dehumidifier, android box or equivalent, kitchen gadgets, bedding/linens, towels...

All tips gratefully received, thanks.

Almost everything is more expensive here than everywhere else. Bring all, what you have. Even furniture or other bulky things, but in this case you have to consider the shipping costs as well. Same if you want to bring your car, sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes a financial disaster.
In Malta almost everything is available, but in very limited choices. If you buy on the internet (what is very very common), together with shipping cost goods are sometimes much cheaper than buying local. Even sellers from ebay China deliver faster than when you order something from a local shop ... and a holiday trip to beautiful Sicily or a cheap weekend flight to London can also be used for shopping  :)
btw, the things you are asking are available here at competitive prices. And especially for electronic devices you should also consider warranty issues. Goods bought in Malta are subject to EU Consumer Rights Directives ... but sometimes you have to remind the shop owners  ;)

As you will be renting, pretty much everything is supplied by most landlords.
We shipped quite a bit over and actually have no use for a lot of stuff we shipped.

My advice would probably be ship personal items but electrical etc see what you need when you get here.

We put a lot of stuff in storage in the UK and then arranged with family to ship over stuff that we needed from storage and purchased everything else locally or off the internet

I would get an android box from the UK though I can send you some links for user guides and set up instructions. Dont get sucked in by people charging to set it up or providing services. Most stuff is free and very easy. There are subscription channels, but I'd advise try the freebie stuff out first. You'll find you watch TV a lot less here.

Thanks to both of you, this is really helpful.

Paulolly with regards to android box guides, is it best for me to let you know what we pick and then you can send some info over?

Any recommendations for what to pick would be welcome, it's not something I've used before. UK catch up services and a few US programmes would be ideal.

paulolly :

I would get an android box from the UK though I can send you some links for user guides and set up instructions. Dont get sucked in by people charging to set it up or providing services. Most stuff is free and very easy. There are subscription channels, but I'd advise try the freebie stuff out first. You'll find you watch TV a lot less here.

With the benefit of 3.5 years of using boxes, I would suggest you get a Mag Box 254 as they are the best thing going for IPTV.  You will need to get a subscription to get proper live UK TV, but these can be as cheap as £8.50 a month!   You could use an Android box and run Film On but you will not get catch up.
One real plus with a Mag Box and a subscription with the likes of NTV or X-Treams is that you have a proper remote just like a proper TV set up.

Ray

F0xgl0ve :
paulolly :

With the benefit of 3.5 years of using boxes, I would suggest you get a Mag Box 254 as they are the best thing going for IPTV.  You will need to get a subscription to get proper live UK TV, but these can be as cheap as £8.50 a month!   You could use an Android box and run Film On but you will not get catch up.
One real plus with a Mag Box and a subscription with the likes of NTV or X-Treams is that you have a proper remote just like a proper TV set up.

Ray

Like I say Ray it depends on how much you watch the good old idiot box. I find I watch it very little, the wife gets her soaps on FilmOn and there are literally hundreds of addons for catchup tv and box sets.

Why jump straight into a Mag box and never use it? In my 5 years of androiding I watch premium channels less and less because theres nowt on them

felinefine81 :

Thanks to both of you, this is really helpful.

Paulolly with regards to android box guides, is it best for me to let you know what we pick and then you can send some info over?

Any recommendations for what to pick would be welcome, it's not something I've used before. UK catch up services and a few US programmes would be ideal.

I'll PM you some links, you can pay anywhere from 20 quid upwards. try and get one with 2gb of RAM and operating off Android 5.1.

Lots come preinstalled with kodi, but dont pay over the top. You can get people selling a decent box for £30 and someone else selling the same thing with same preinstalled software for £100.

Thanks to you both. I'll do some reading when I get time and work out what will suit us best. Not too worried about cost, just something with decent content and definitely something user friendly!

Will revert if needs be. Appreciate you taking the time to help.

All the best
Fi

I know this might sound ridiculous but if you have electric blankets bring them with you we were advised by a friend and thought Nah dont need them....well yes you do in the winter months when your bedding can feel damp nice to put the blanket on to take the chill of believe me.......dehumidifiers are a good idea too.....some very decent or even new pots and pans ( go on treat yourself) as they can be expensive over here especially the really good ones......we bought those resealable storage bags in the uk which is what we keep our duvets etc in down in the garage during the summer months ...but basically bring what you can ....after about three months you will think where did I put so and so and then realise you left it behind and kick yourself.....oh and hubbies tool kit and electric drills etc, powerwasher if you have one too.....have fun !!

Great tips, thanks :)

Expatriate health insurance in Malta

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Malta

Moving to Malta

Find tips from professionals about moving to Malta

Travel insurance in Malta

Enjoy stress-free travel to Malta

Flights to Malta

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Malta