Close

Should i move to VN? Or should i wait.....

Hello and thank you for reading this, i am new to this website but im very experienced with southern Vietnam.  I really like Vietnam and have been 14+ times. Born in Canada, I can speak Vietnamese and English. both parents are white/Canadian. I own an appartment in a very good area of Vancouver. I also have a really good job witch gives me good hours and flexable time.

Anyways the reason im posting this is because i have a problem, i want to move to VN so bad but i cant because of 2 things. 1: my job 2: my dog. i work in a Longshore union and i will be a member in 3 years witch means i can come and go whenever and how ever long i want. I want this for financial security in my city (Vancouver). And i cannot travel for over 1 month at a time because of my dog. It gets to be a problem for my siblings and it gets expensive if i put my dog in a camp. Its not fair for my dog if i fly 18 hours with my dog, she would go crazy maybe get sick. I would fly ONE-WAY to VN only if i was able to stay there. :(

So i was hoping for some advise. Should i stay and work for the next 3 years and have small trips to VN. or should i just move there with my dog and rent my place out.

With my opinion, I think you should stay and work for the next 3 years and have small trips to VN.

Let me get this straight. 

- You live in the second best city in the world (Saigon is the best, IMHO).

- You have a good-paying job that will allow you the freedom of setting your own schedule a mere 3 years from now.

- You own an apartment in Nortn Van (I assume), though it could be anywhere in Vancouver and still be an extremely valuable asset; one that's bound to assure your financial well-being for years to come.

and

- You have a dog that probably sits by the door when you're away, anxiously awaiting your return.

:unsure

Well, these are long shots, but...

Maybe Trump will become president; annex Canada and convert Vancouver into a gaggle of factory outlets to be used primarily by the citizens of Blaine, Bellingham and Mt. Vernon, WA.?

Maybe your company will lay you off in favor of using 2 shortshoremen?

Maybe your dog will run off with some _____?   (5 letters/a word for a female dog which rhymes with witch).

and

Maybe your apartment will be seized by the city (for no apparent reason) and turned into a BC Bud Inhalement Centre for the Soon to Be Impaired?

Problems solved!   :top:

It's a no-brainer!  Stay in Vancouver and bide your time.  Three years is nothing in the overall scheme of things.  You'll be glad that you did, but sorry if you don't.

As far as the dog is concerned - do anything that doesn't involve bringing it here.

In desperation, sure, why not turn to complete strangers to guide your big life decisions! haha. It's a tough one. I assume at the moment you posted this, you were listening to the little devil on your left shoulder who is pulling you to Viet Nam. Because: you hate your good job because it traps you, your life is boring/cold/grey there, no girlfriend, Asia is your tropical dream, you can live on rental income and not even work here, life is short, do it now.

Other times, the tiny angel on your right shoulder is chiding you to stay and work hard because it is good for you, be a responsible adult, think  about your dependent dog and family and friends, life is long don't be impulsive, stay in the comfort zone, vacations are good enough for your life.

I don't follow your argument about the job: Sounds like you are committed to move to Viet Nam someday. Then you won't be working in Vancouver anymore, so why worry about the promotion thing? Or is the question: do I ever move to Vietnam, or do I only ever continue to just visit there, because of wonderful Vancouver job?

The dog complicates things. Sorry to say. I left 2 cats with a cat lady for my first year, $100/month only, thinking I can move them later. No, the flight is long and can be dangerous if it gets rerouted or something. If they get loose in District 5/8 - it is a scary world in the hems; I can't buy their food here (only local brands), regular $300-500 apartments don't allow pets that I know of, can you afford a house? Will you carry the dog around on your motorbike or are you spending $40k for a car? How will Canadian dog enjoy humid 90F days/80F nights? Every day?

Me: when I decided to move to SEAsia, I spent a year to work and save to ensure a good start. I was completely excited and committed about moving and trying it for one year, and made a plan. It was a boring time, but ok because there is a lot to organize. It still kills me about the cats though, they are still with the cat lady bc she couldn't adopt the 8 year old pair, but she has 50 other cats (specialty breeder) so they are ok, they adapt. Moving to live in a drastically different foreign country is a life-change. I chose a new path for myself, and a new life path for my pets.

Good luck figuring stuff out! Keep us updated.
-phil

gobot wrote:

Sorry to say. I left 2 cats with a cat lady for my first year, $100/month only, thinking I can move them later........It still kills me about the cats though,......-phil

I hope your realize that by now you have spent over $2400 and your cats don't give a damn.  I love cats too (hate dogs except over charcoal :joking:) but that's just how cats are.

Its good to get opinions from others who have made the change. I actually decided to move for a change, it has been difficult at times but for the most part it's been worthwhile. You must remember, living here full time is not like coming here for a holiday. As others have said, stay and do the  3 years, it will benefit you in the long term.

THIGV wrote:

I hope your realize that by now you have spent over $2400 and your cats don't give a damn.

@thigv = dream killer
It was only $1200 because I gave myself one year to overcome decision-procrastination, also to grieve, also to forget their snuggles.
And anyway (don't tell them) I made friends with my wife's family cat in Saigon.

You must admit they are adorable tho, and I know Yuki and Kiku think of me often...[sniff]
http://i67.tinypic.com/2vv3w1z.png

From my point of view, you should stay in Canada and try to prepare more for the change to Vietnam. You must be sure that your pet must be well. Your pet need to be vaccinated and  record of all vaccinations injected etc. If the pet is ok, you can arrange to come to Vietnam. If I were you, I might stay at Canada and sometimes travel to Vietnam.

Stay in Vancouver...give it a few more years then have a re-think...as for the dog well its a dog..I don't think it will be too fussed either way..one bonus of bringing your dog to Vietnam if you ever fall on hard times you can get $100 per 20kgs for the meat...

Teacher Mark wrote:

Let me get this straight. 

- You live in the second best city in the world (Saigon is the best, IMHO).

- You have a good-paying job that will allow you the freedom of setting your own schedule a mere 3 years from now.

- You own an apartment in Nortn Van (I assume), though it could be anywhere in Vancouver and still be an extremely valuable asset; one that's bound to assure your financial well-being for years to come.


.

Hi mark thanks yes i live in Downtown Vancouver, so when i move it will be so easy to get a 1+ year tennant. I bought here because its a very secure investment. I need to be a union member (witch will take 3 more years) before i move anywhwere just in case i move back to Vancouver ill have a good job.

gobot wrote:

In desperation, sure, why not turn to complete strangers to guide your big life decisions! haha. It's a tough one. I assume at the moment you posted this, you were listening to the little devil on your left shoulder who is pulling you to Viet Nam. Because: you hate your good job because it traps you, your life is boring/cold/grey there, no girlfriend, Asia is your tropical dream, you can live on rental income and not even work here, life is short, do it now.

Other times, the tiny angel on your right shoulder is chiding you to stay and work hard because it is good for you, be a responsible adult, think  about your dependent dog and family and friends, life is long don't be impulsive, stay in the comfort zone, vacations are good enough for your life.

I don't follow your argument about the job: Sounds like you are committed to move to Viet Nam someday. Then you won't be working in Vancouver anymore, so why worry about the promotion thing? Or is the question: do I ever move to Vietnam, or do I only ever continue to just visit there, because of wonderful Vancouver job?

The dog complicates things. Sorry to say. I left 2 cats with a cat lady for my first year, $100/month only, thinking I can move them later. No, the flight is long and can be dangerous if it gets rerouted or something. If they get loose in District 5/8 - it is a scary world in the hems; I can't buy their food here (only local brands), regular $300-500 apartments don't allow pets that I know of, can you afford a house? Will you carry the dog around on your motorbike or are you spending $40k for a car? How will Canadian dog enjoy humid 90F days/80F nights? Every day?

Me: when I decided to move to SEAsia, I spent a year to work and save to ensure a good start. I was completely excited and committed about moving and trying it for one year, and made a plan. It was a boring time, but ok because there is a lot to organize. It still kills me about the cats though, they are still with the cat lady bc she couldn't adopt the 8 year old pair, but she has 50 other cats (specialty breeder) so they are ok, they adapt. Moving to live in a drastically different foreign country is a life-change. I chose a new path for myself, and a new life path for my pets.

Good luck figuring stuff out! Keep us updated.
-phil

Hey buddy thanks. Compared to life in Vietnam i am unsatisfied right now with life in Canada. My GF is not as nice as the one i had in Vietnam and i dont go out 6/7 nights a week in Canada. I had to break up with her because i came back to canada.

I need a better start aswell, like i just got back from vn and spent alot of money there. So im gonna need to work alot and pay everything off....

I have a motorbike in vn that is good for a dog to climb onto i dont have a problem being committed to taking care of her, but the weather might be a problem.... And sorry abt your cats, they sound cool atleast their not lonely..

colinoscapee wrote:

Its good to get opinions from others who have made the change. I actually decided to move for a change, it has been difficult at times but for the most part it's been worthwhile. You must remember, living here full time is not like coming here for a holiday. As others have said, stay and do the  3 years, it will benefit you in the long term.

Hey Buddy, why did you move to VN? Have you had any problems? It must be nice to be a few hours away from some beautiful people and weather. I think im prepared to live full time, i just need to stay outta trouble go on cool weekend getaways and ill be alright.

Gday mate, Yogi here.

Don't burn your bridges, unless your cashed up and have a "plan B " that's workable.

If your coming here for the cheap piss & cheap pussy you'll crash and burn like most of them do. Unfortunately that's the drawcard for a lot of blokes in this part of the world. 

Too many guys come here on a shoestring budget and get caught out.  It's cheap to live, but if things don't work out what's the exit plan.???   

Have you thought of a "career break" or take long service leave.    Come here for 6 months or longer, and try to cover two seasons with that time frame to sample the weather.    A lot of work places today allow that.   Short holidays don't give much perspective.    I've been here full time 5 years and guess what......I still feel like I'm settling in.

Whatever you do.....don't get anyone pregnant.  Yogi knows too many "anchor daddies" around here to make that call.   These poor bastards are in disfunctional relationships with girls they have absolutely nothing in common with.   It's a sad site....... You see these guys sitting on those little chairs, elbows on the knees,  head down staring at the ground, wondering what happened to their lives.

They've spent their last dollar on a house for the girl & baby, and THEN ,  the rest of the family move in and there goes the "love nest".  😜

Only last week this happened to a friend here.   He's gone back home at age 60,  he's left about $200k on the ground here,  and is now walking the streets back home knocking on doors looking for work.  He will also be sending money back to support the family in VN as well .   I don't think that scenario was on his bucket list.    He should have got his nut sack clipped as Yogi suggested .

Depending on your age, I'd get cashed up, clear those debts and figure out how your daily life will pan out here.  It's a great place if you have a plan and follow it.    I cherry pick , I take full advantage of the good things here and steer clear of the traps.    I don't need to be supporting a Vietnamese family , bankrolling their shitty business plans or paying their doctors bills.  F[at]ck that. 

There's enough schmucks on that "conga line " already.

If you play your cards right, you can live very well here.    I have ocean views for "peanut rent".  Nice beaches, cheap modern Gyms, good food, golf, modern cinema, and it's all cheap.  You can fly to Thailand ,Malaysia etc for about $100 return if you need a break.  Utilities are ridiculously cheap. Electricity , cable TV ,Internet.  Phone etc. a few bucks a month.     My monthly rent for a two bedroom apartment is LESS than my electricity bill back home.     No need to buy a place here.

Why buy a cow when milks so cheap.   

Hope it works out, I'd leave the dog back in Canada.   Find someone who likes dogs that will provide a good home.    Dogs have no concept of time.   A vet told me they can't relate between a week and several months.  When I left my dog with minders , it was no more excited to see me after 2 days , or 2 months.   They adapt.     Once someone else starts feeding it, and petting it , you'll be a distant memory. Don't worry.       Much the same as your old GF here, 😀😀  as soon as your ass hits the seat in the airport taxi to go back home to Canada ,, your old news.   That's how it is.   

Good luck with it,, but I'd stay in Canada to get "plan B " in shape in case you need it.
And get that vasectomy.  I can assure you the $500 will be the best money you'll ever spend.

Yogi done it himself.  I grew up on a farm marking cattle so it was pretty straight forward.

Agree with the bear. So many guys here who think they have such a wonderful woman, but yet their salaries are being spent every month. I have a friend who earns 70 million a month, which is way more than you need to survive here. Most of his money is being used to buy the relatives things, more fool him. I came here with money behind me and I have properties in my home country, so I had something to fall back on if needed. As stated before, come here for maybe a year and get a feeling about the place. Use your head in decisions not your little guy downstairs.

By now you surely have noticed that nobody has said "drop everything and come to Vietnam."  A word to the wise is sufficient.  Stick out the three years, take a months vacation in VN each year, and once you lock up that union status, go for it.

Yogi007 wrote:

And get that vasectomy.  I can assure you the $500 will be the best money you'll ever spend.

Well, thanks for the chuckle, that was quite hilarious but still disturbingly true!

Hi mate!

I was in similar situation. 10 years ago I broke up with my girlfriend. I went to Vietnam to escape reality. I started doing business and never look back!

Life is short! You should live at your dream place as long as you can find the finance to support it.

Personally, I do not believe in sticking to a secure job. I like to challenge the unknown!

That's just my 2 cents!

Danny what kind of business did you start doing if you don't mind me asking ? I'm an Aussie as well :)

I'm in a similar situation I love Vietnam when I was there on holidays but would I love to live there? Most likely it's lucky I work at a decent company that will give me 6 months off in that time I plan to travel but spend majority of time in Vietnam ultimately making a decision to if I come live there.

If I do want to live there I'll come back to work for 6-8 months save all my money and return to Vietnam with around 40k USD saved and try make it work I'm single and gave no commitments.

I like jumping into the unknown but like having a backup plan if things turn sour or don't work out how I like.

Once I take the leap I know I won't come back but taking the leap is the hard part.

I look at Vietnam this way Vietnam will always be there if I set myself up for success and it may take a little longer to get there so be it I know in the end it will be more enjoyable and my sanity will thank me for it.

Hi Iwonder,

I was the National IT Manager for Deals.com.au, AussieCommerce Group. I am pretty sure you know them.

So I setup an IT company in Vietnam to help Deals.com.au move faster. Now, I believe they are the top Deals/Groupon company in Australia. That's the simple version of how I started my second company in Vietnam.

If you really want to live in Vietnam, I think you need to find a way to support yourself. I know a lot of expats are teaching here.

Your case might be different, since you have $40K and single, you might want to start a small business WITH the local if you already have business background or managing skill.

I think your goal is to survive and grow! You are coming here because you don't want to be where you are now!

That's not insane, you are just following your heart!

What happened to the OP? it appears that he left the thread after Yogi007 gave his honest no holds barred reply..... I suppose StuckinCanada was another romantic looking at Vietnam through rose tinted spectacles....

Yogi is right. You need an exit plan. It sounds like you are fairly young still. Work the extra 3 years, secure your union membership and hammer down your debts until the rent from your investment is cash flow positive. in the 3 years you work you can prepare for the great escape, continue to visit Nam and hope the bloody visa situation here becomes better eh he !

I would keep your property in Canada, just use the rent to fund your vision. you can bring your dog here no problems...

panda7 wrote:

Yogi is right. You need an exit plan. It sounds like you are fairly young still. Work the extra 3 years, secure your union membership and hammer down your debts until the rent from your investment is cash flow positive. in the 3 years you work you can prepare for the great escape, continue to visit Nam and hope the bloody visa situation here becomes better eh he !

I would keep your property in Canada, just use the rent to fund your vision. you can bring your dog here no problems...

You have been given some excellent advice from a number of people. I guess that it is my retired military and Viet Nam War experience, but, the more back up plans you have set up the better. I generally have a dozen or more that are pretty well set up.

Remember the Old Soldier's saying, "He who fights and runs away, lives to live and fight and run another day."

Those who don't, crash burn and die.

Note; my wife, our then 2 daughters and I, survived the Fall of Sai Gon by planning for and taking advantage of the opportunity to catch one of the fist evacuation flights on 15 April 1975

I feel you.  I am in a similar situation.  I have a good job in America and I love vn.  Whenever I go there I feel like the man.  Perhaps because I have so much disposable income when I do go there.  I love the food, weather is pleasant, love driving the motorbike as I feel so free and the women are so welcoming.  I also own so I can rent out my place if I do decide to go.  But my job isn't as flexible as yours and 2 weeks is the max I can take off of work at a time but recently the pressure is only for 1 week at a time.  If I do decide to leave, I suppose I can start to teach english but it is the unknown as I am 38 and not caucasian.

If you are not that old, I would duke out the 3 years for a union membership as well as Canadian money to spend in vn, and go whenever you need to go there.  But maybe your heart desires more during the next 3 years than anything related to financial... I feel the same way, as a teaching salary in vn is good enough for most things, especially if you have savings and a place to either sell or go back to.

It is a tough decision... if you can't bear it any longer in BC, then you must go.  If random trips here and there can hold you over, then stay.  Best times are while you are younger.

As for me, I may have to go as my new boss is the biggest b*tch ever.  Sometimes a push will make things change.  I don't see the same for you yet.  But if your job can easily be had after you take a long break, then I would do that.  Take a 1 or 2 year break and see how you like it.  A re-welcoming job is a big factor in this decision as well as I can get a job within my company if I do come back.

Your dog is a situation that I cannot speak about.

Message me when you are on Bui Vien for a cold bottle of the Bia Saigon Special!

THIGV wrote:

By now you surely have noticed that nobody has said "drop everything and come to Vietnam."  A word to the wise is sufficient.  Stick out the three years, take a months vacation in VN each year, and once you lock up that union status, go for it.

Yea i would have to end up coming back to Canada way sooner if i just drop everything because im not a very good english teracher and unions are basically illigal in VN. Im thinking about a 6 month trip but that would take alot of time to plan.

Yogi007 wrote:

Whatever you do.....don't get anyone pregnant.  Yogi knows too many "anchor daddies" around here to make that call.   These poor bastards are in disfunctional relationships with girls they have absolutely nothing in common with.   It's a sad site....... You see these guys sitting on those little chairs, elbows on the knees,  head down staring at the ground, wondering what happened to their lives.

They've spent their last dollar on a house for the girl & baby, and THEN ,  the rest of the family move in and there goes the "love nest".  😜
.

Hey buddy, thats exactly what happend to a friend of mine hes from the UK. Bought land put it in the wifes name, built a 2 bedroom house by the beach. Then the whole family moved in. i still visit him every time i go to VN and each time theres more people living there... But i think he enjoys it. lol

Ill be in my late 20s by the time i lock in my union membership. I just hope by then that vn wont loose its charm. I just need to keep my head up focus on making things better right now and just forget about VN while im in Canada.... Its just hard to forget the amount of fun i can have over there.

I appreciate the advice

Deepsix wrote:

Stay in Vancouver...give it a few more years then have a re-think...as for the dog well its a dog..I don't think it will be too fussed either way..one bonus of bringing your dog to Vietnam if you ever fall on hard times you can get $100 per 20kgs for the meat...

hmmm maybe i can bring more dogs. Do you know how much for 20kg of pure bread Canadian dog go for?  :P

What is wrong with a scenario where you, after securing full union status, work 6 months a year in Vancouver and live 6 months in Vietnam without having to work at all.  As an ILWU member you should be able to make enough in 6 months to easily carry you while in VN.  There is a US citizen who posts on another board who is a merchant seaman and does just that.  He teaches when in Vietnam but that is a choice he makes, not a necessity.

If you own a house, whether fully paid or not, keep it and rent it out to a tenant who will allow you to keep the home as your legal address and forward your mail.  Just rent another place when you go back.  I was told by a Canadian once that the national health program applies only to residents and not automatically to citizens.  There is a period that you can live outside the country and I think 6 and 6 could keep your coverage.  You should check it out in detail. 

You are a young man and at some time could marry a Vietnamese woman.  You haven't said so but somehow I suspect that is part of your motivation to move.  I don't know Canadian rules but you may need to be a resident as well as a citizen in order to bring her to Canada.  After a time, it may be possible to have a Vietnamese wife make the back and forth move with you.  Summers in Vancouver and winters in Vietnam would be a nice combination for both of you.  There are multiple reasons not to give up your Canadian residency.

Gday Canada Man,...it's Yogi again.

Well,   THIGV has given you some good ideas there along with other posters. 

We are all hoping you have a well planned and rationally thought out transition to a life in Vietnam.
Since by the info on your posts , your in your mid 20s. 

Given that , and the fact that "steak sauce" ( another forumite) is waiting in Bui Vien with a cold Bia Saigon for you I'd be grabbing up whatever cash you can get your hands on,  and getting over here before your nutsack starts hanging lower than your dick.

Yogi has come to the conclusion that's the strategy a lot of blokes around here have taken.

Good luck mate

Meeting on Bui Vien for a cold beer isn't what I would be telling someone, but to each his own.

This is a very good and realistic perspective. I am also planning my plan b before executing my plan a. You are absolutely right about supporting the entire family,  i have heard too many stories.

This can also happen if you take your beloved princess back to your home country. My mate did this and had up to 7 of them residing with him for months on end.

colinoscapee wrote:

This can also happen if you take your beloved princess back to your home country. My mate did this and had up to 7 of them residing with him for months on end.

I think I'm one of the "lucky ones". I brought my Vietnamese wife to Canada through sponsorship, and after a few months after the three years sponsorship was finished we separated. I'm actually the one who initiated this so it's not like she used me or something (she's kind of going through a rough time right now), I just found out I was really, really better on my own. Life lesson learned *and* it did not cost me much beside a few years of covering for her for basic stuff. Since I own my condo I was paying my mortgage anyway so it's pretty much food and eating out/cinema etc. I'm calling myself a lucky one because I heard of many horror stories with ill fated foreign marriages.

Anyway, like I feel a little bit like the OP, I'm specifically dreaming of spending a year (or more?) in Rach Gia since I know that place very well and an old time Vietnamese friend of mine from Canada has a family there. I love the restaurants and cafes by the beach, and it's really much more relaxed than Saigon. I'm getting old, I'm 41 now so it will have to be done sooner than later :-D

So yeah OP I totally understand you. Wait a few years then go there and have a freakin' blast!

WillyBaldy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

This can also happen if you take your beloved princess back to your home country. My mate did this and had up to 7 of them residing with him for months on end.

I think I'm one of the "lucky ones". I brought my Vietnamese wife to Canada through sponsorship, and after a few months after the three years sponsorship was finished we separated. I'm actually the one who initiated this so it's not like she used me or something (she's kind of going through a rough time right now), I just found out I was really, really better on my own. Life lesson learned *and* it did not cost me much beside a few years of covering for her for basic stuff. Since I own my condo I was paying my mortgage anyway so it's pretty much food and eating out/cinema etc. I'm calling myself a lucky one because I heard of many horror stories with ill fated foreign marriages.

Anyway, like I feel a little bit like the OP, I'm specifically dreaming of spending a year (or more?) in Rach Gia since I know that place very well and an old time Vietnamese friend of mine from Canada has a family there. I love the restaurants and cafes by the beach, and it's really much more relaxed than Saigon. I'm getting old, I'm 41 now so it will have to be done sooner than later :-D

So yeah OP I totally understand you. Wait a few years then go there and have a freakin' blast!

Just wondering, did she move back to vn or stayed in toronto after the divorce. What caused the break up,  culture shock or something else?

Allanmta wrote:

Just wondering, did she move back to vn or stayed in toronto after the divorce. What caused the break up,  culture shock or something else?

I live in Montreal, but only a few hours' drive from Toronto ;-) She is definitely staying in Canada. She was one of the lucky few who could "escape" her country and get permanent residency in a Western country she's certainly not going to go back there. Also, she has a family that requires her financial help, she can work any job here and it will pay much more than most "well paid" jobs in Vietnam. But she's a city girl and can manage quite well, maybe a Vietnamese woman from the countryside or less able to be independent would have had to return to Vietnam, who knows?

As for the reason for divorce/separation, it's quite complex but I'm not sure culture was part of it, although it had its challenges for sure. I think it was more about standard man-woman and personality stuff rather  than specifically cultural.

I can tell you one thing though, I'll miss home cooked Vietnamese food! She'd make great "mắm" that tasted amazing even though the smell was awful in the condo, and great pho and bun bo hue. I also never had so much fish before being with her. :-)

colinoscapee wrote:

Meeting on Bui Vien for a cold beer isn't what I would be telling someone, but to each his own.

Not quite sure what you mean.  It was to be symbolism that we both took the leap into heaven. lolz

WillyBaldy wrote:
Allanmta wrote:

Just wondering, did she move back to vn or stayed in toronto after the divorce. What caused the break up,  culture shock or something else?

I live in Montreal, but only a few hours' drive from Toronto ;-) She is definitely staying in Canada. She was one of the lucky few who could "escape" her country and get permanent residency in a Western country she's certainly not going to go back there. Also, she has a family that requires her financial help, she can work any job here and it will pay much more than most "well paid" jobs in Vietnam. But she's a city girl and can manage quite well, maybe a Vietnamese woman from the countryside or less able to be independent would have had to return to Vietnam, who knows?

As for the reason for divorce/separation, it's quite complex but I'm not sure culture was part of it, although it had its challenges for sure. I think it was more about standard man-woman and personality stuff rather  than specifically cultural.

I can tell you one thing though, I'll miss home cooked Vietnamese food! She'd make great "mắm" that tasted amazing even though the smell was awful in the condo, and great pho and bun bo hue. I also never had so much fish before being with her. :-)

You make excelent points.

1)'I think it was more about standard man-woman and personality stuff rather  than specifically cultural.' Vietnamese, American, Canadian etc. is unimportant. What is important is how well you get along.

2)'she has a family that requires her financial help, she can work any job here and it will pay much more than most "well paid" jobs in Vietnam' Sorry that the two of you didn't fit together well. You both sound like a decent people.

The question is...
Why do you want to come in VN?

travel, adventure, love ?

all depend first of all from yourself

I took my baggage and i came here in VN and in the last 2 years everything is changed...

Job? You can find job here www.vietnamwork.com

get an interview, get a job and come

Life? With a good Job the life is easy but you have to follow the Vietnamese Culture (Adapt yourself at the VN-Life)

Live? rent a room and start to understand everything around you

After that... Keep your DOG

Try to live here 3 times in 3 different moment (September, February, June) 2-4 weeks or more if you can

after this time you will be ready to LIVE IN VN

Good Luck

New topic

Questions and answers about moving

Ask your question
Mai Phi
Traveling to Mui Ne (Binh Thuan)
By Mai Phi
dvir0776
questions from bangkok expat moving to Saigon
By dvir0776
Trm3177
Movers in Saigon???
By Trm3177
Guest
When to Move to Saigon/HCMC
By Guest
tuhang
Sending hammock to US
By tuhang
jonh_nathan
My house has 4 room for rent
By jonh_nathan

Expatriate health insurance in Saigon

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Saigon

Moving to Saigon

Find tips from professionals about moving to Saigon

Travel insurance in Saigon

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Saigon

Flights to Saigon

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Saigon