Is it generally quite windy in Malta?!

While trying out some of my new warm weather wardrobe in Scotland today, I realised that there is a downfall to a lovely, airy, loose summer dress... they don't go well with the wind! 😁

When we visited Malta it was lovely weather and very calm, but was that the norm? Generally should I expect it to be quite gusty?

I may have to update my wardrobe again before we move over heehee!

#nearlyhadamarilynmonroemoment

My friend has just returned from a week in Malta and unfortunately they had cold windy weather plus some rain. They were very unlucky. We were there the same time last year and it was sunny and warm.

Yes, Malta is a windy country. No doubt about it.

Ha ha, yeah it can get really windy! I've found March/April the worst months.

I had a sign from a restaurant blow into my face at full force, didn't look to cool!

Good luck!

Andrew

In winter it's windy and cold and in summer the wind makes the heat bearable  :cool:

It's so windy I've had to chase my loungers, tables and chairs, and pot plants across my roof, and then tether them all together in a corner to stop them going over the side!! :)

Oh dear!! Elastic band around my thighs or a different wardrobe it is 😂

As everyone else has pointed out already, it can definitely get very windy! When we were in Zurrieq (Blue Grotto) this February, the wind blew the restaurant tables across the street. But of course, as you say you've experienced yourself, it can also be really lovely and calm - though there is usually always a nice gentle breeze which is very pleasant in the summer heat :)

I'm sure I will be very happy to have the breeze in the summer. But no one around me will be happy if I don't sort out the dress situation (not that I need an excuse to buy new clothes!) ☺

bernie_iris_fabian_david wrote:

As everyone else has pointed out already, it can definitely get very windy! When we were in Zurrieq (Blue Grotto) this February, the wind blew the restaurant tables across the street. But of course, as you say you've experienced yourself, it can also be really lovely and calm - though there is usually always a nice gentle breeze which is very pleasant in the summer heat :)

It surely can't be as bad as here (UK). We have 2 large sheds and only last weekend we lost the roof covering on one overnight, I hastily went and bought new covering and fitted this the next day, with some help as it was still very windy, whist I was doing this, before my eyes, the adjacent shed lost its roof. I replaced this yesterday.  I still have to cut up the 60ft tree in our field that came down recently.
The wind here gets worse every year.
We did last Dec and part of Jan in Malta and it was sheer bliss, yes, I know it was and exceptional Winter in Malta.
For a small island group I expected there to be a lot more wind than there was.
Ray

Anyway, buy all the clothes you can before coming. Woman's clothes shopping here is dreadful.

volcane wrote:

Anyway, buy all the clothes you can before coming. Woman's clothes shopping here is dreadful.

Thanks. I heard that it is limited so that is definitely my plan. I'm also making a list of online shopping that delivers to Malta without ridiculous shipping costs or complicated returns and I thought I'd record that on my moving blog to helps others.

felinefine81: what's your blog url please?

Information like this on easy to find blogs are invaluable, dont let the curmudgeons stand in your way

GozoMo wrote:

I think most people can find out this information without help from others.

Wow. This forum is all in the spirit of sharing information for other expats or people looking to move.

If you are not advocating that process I'm not sure what you're doing here!

volcane wrote:

felinefine81: what's your blog url please?

Information like this on easy to find blogs are invaluable, dont let the curmudgeons stand in your way

Thanks for that!

My blog is at:

https://ourmaltamove.wordpress.com/

It's still a work in progress but I want to add helpful info that I find as I go, along with my personal experiences :)

@felinefine81: thanks, subscribed :)

P.S.- "curmudgeons"- what a brilliant word 😁

felinefine81 wrote:
GozoMo wrote:

I think most people can find out this information without help from others.

Wow. This forum is all in the spirit of sharing information for other expats or people looking to move.

If you are not advocating that process I'm not sure what you're doing here!

I think what is being said is that advice from people who have the experience of living here is always useful, there does not seem to be a lot of point in advice being given by those who do not have experience of expat life in Malta!

Anyone can use Google or on line shopping channels. It also seems quite a long way off topic to be talking shopping when the topic is headed   'Is it generally quite windy in Malta?!'

Ray

@ F0xgl0ve

The question was about the weather in relation to wardrobe so it isn't off topic.

I am compiling information as someone preparing to move, info which I can't find in summary anywhere else. Do please share if you know of a list that has been prepared by someone better qualified to comment than you believe me to be.

In the preparation to move I am interested to know what I might like to buy in the UK and bring with me, or what I may have access to once I arrive. I'm pretty sure others would be in the same position.

As a blog is a progressive record, I will also share my practical experience of using said retailers once I arrive!

If even one person saves some time by reading it, then I'll have added some value.

fwiw when I was planning my move, quite recently, I'd have appreciated seeing narrative by others who are going through the same, so the posts on her blog is already helpful.  Judging by the many many questions from people in that exact same boat on these forums I'm inclined to think it has broader value.  Often the help people need is just moral support from others in the same boat.

Apart from that, the original post specifically talks about clothes and about wardrobe refreshing.  Perhaps out in Gozo you make your own clothes and never go to shops, the rest of us tend to do that at shops!

I bow to your vast experience of life in the islands!

volcane wrote:

fwiw when I was planning my move, quite recently, I'd have appreciated seeing narrative by others who are going through the same, so the posts on her blog is already helpful.  Judging by the many many questions from people in that exact same boat on these forums I'm inclined to think it has broader value.  Often the help people need is just moral support from others in the same boat.

Apart from that, the original post specifically talks about clothes and about wardrobe refreshing.  Perhaps out in Gozo you make your own clothes and never go to shops, the rest of us tend to do that at shops!

ww
Some people may make their own clothes, others like myself either go to shops or shop on line!!!

Gozo is pretty bad for all kinds of shopping. In Malta it really depends on where you live.

Personally I don't mind the fact that there aren't many decent shops (clothing or otherwise) in Gozo. We lived there for eight months and it was fine. Since most people tend to travel abroad at least 2-3 times a year stocking up on clothes shouldn't be a problem.

mantasmo wrote:

Gozo is pretty bad for all kinds of shopping. In Malta it really depends on where you live.

Personally I don't mind the fact that there aren't many decent shops (clothing or otherwise) in Gozo. We lived there for eight months and it was fine. Since most people tend to travel abroad at least 2-3 times a year stocking up on clothes shouldn't be a problem.

Gozo is improving, there have been several new shops open in the last year or so and it would
be spoilt with too many chain stores.

GozoMo wrote:
mantasmo wrote:

Gozo is improving, there have been several new shops open in the last year or so and it would
be spoilt with too many chain stores.

Good to hear that things are improving. I'm all for smaller boutiques/stores. As long as they actually sell wearable things and not just super weird and/or cheap/tacky stuff like they so often do in Malta.

Fun fact. The only chain-store clothing I own (Tom Tailor) was all bought in Gozo because there wasn't anything else on offer. So yea.. lol

Jazz45 wrote:

It's so windy I've had to chase my loungers, tables and chairs, and pot plants across my roof, and then tether them all together in a corner to stop them going over the side!! :)

I replaced the light plastic chairs and table with heavier wooden ones and put some stones at the bottom of the flower pots to make them wind resisting  :)
I had to get used to ALWAYS fix a window or door when opened, to put something heavy on papers and magazines when outside and to carry out some activities/works inside only (paperwork, spray painting, soldering, hair cutting ... )