Wanna Come to Cuba?

I have never written a Blog before, but decided to set one up today. Everybody is talking about Cuba and wants to come here. After 8 years in Cuba, I am in a pretty good position to help out with practical advice about where to stay, how to move around and to provide the benefit of my local knowledge.

With Obama's recent visit and the free Rolling Stones concert, Cuba is rarely out of the news these days. It is only a matter of time before tourism here explodes. It is worth noting that contrary to popular belief Cuba does NOT ban, nor stop Americans coming here. The restrictions are all on the American side.

Optimists are talking about 'an extra 10,000,000 visitors a year to Cuba' in the not-too-distant future. The question is where will they all stay? Currently, we have just over 3,000,000 visitors a year and already hotels and guest houses have a reasonable occupancy rate.

There are several large developments in the pipeline for the future, but it will be some before they come on stream.

Cubans are naturally welcoming and friendly - especially in the modest size town in which I live, just 1/2 an hour outside Havana, San Antonio de los Banos. I would not recommend a two week holiday here, but it is a nice place to start and finish your holiday.

Why not have us meet and greet you at the airport, arrange you first and last couple of nights here and assist with onward travel and accommodation arrangements, depending on your interests and how long you have here? This might suit first-timers here, who might be a little apprehensive about coming to Cuba and also those who haven't really decided what they want yet and will make it up as they go along.

Between us, my wife and I speak Spanish, English, French, German and even a little Swiss German.

I will do my best to provide a post once week with whatever is topical in Cuba and answer any questions you might have, as long as they are not about politics, religion nor anything that is illegal.

Hope to see you soon.

Questions and answers about Cuba

Ask your question
Are you happy in Cuba?
By Priscilla
Paying duty
By ayclin
Joyce Lalorku
Want to move Cuba
By Joyce Lalorku
Move to Cuba
By Mycubanlove