Bringing money out of Morocco

My family is travelling to Morocco this summer and a good friend of mine asked if her brother could send some money (in USD) that he owes her back with us. It would be a significant sum and I'm wondering if we would have issues leaving the country with it since we wouldn't have declared it upon arrival. Does anyone know if this will be a problem or how to avoid having a problem?

Hello UmmYasmeen :cheers:

How much is the significant amount of money you are referring to please?

How many people will be travelling? Maybe share the amount amongst each traveller so that the sum does not exceed maximum sum allowed per person during travel?  :/

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

First of all clarify which country you will be leaving since you stated that you will be travelling to Morocco but did not state from which country.  [Moderated] if you intend to come in inside Morocco with large lump sum then will not be much problem since Morocco loves people who brings money to the economy. If you plan to pass the moroccan airport with large sum then you may be stooped and asked by police to clarify the source of the money.  [Moderated] I suggest you to use the right path anyway.  If your money is hallall money then you have nothing to fear or to pay to help you

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exercise caution when providing infos. Do not provide illegal solutions.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

To Kenjee (sorry my reply is so late) thank you for your message. We will be travelling as a family of 5 (including 2 small children and a baby). The amount  her brother owes her is about $10,000. She did say that if it would be a problem to bring this large amount back, her brother will give us a smaller amount that will not be a hassle for us.  She will just try to figure out how to get the rest at a later date inshallah.  We won't be arriving with that kind of cash and I have heard on other groups that it can be very difficult bringing money out of Morocco which is why I asked here. I didn't expect to get insulted.

If it does matter to get a complete answer we are coming from the US.

blusky2015 wrote:

First of all clarify which country you will be leaving since you stated that you will be travelling to Morocco but did not state from which country.  [Moderated]. However- if you intend to come in inside Morocco with large lump sum then will not be much problem since Morocco loves people who brings money to the economy. If you plan to pass the moroccan airport with large sum then you may be stooped and asked by police to clarify the source of the money.  [Moderated]. I suggest you to use the right path anyway.  If your money is hallall money then you have nothing to fear or to pay to help you

My husband and I always strive to please Allah subhana wa ta'ala in our dealings so yes our money is halal as is the money my friend is asking me to bring back from her brother or otherwise I wouldn't be doing it!

Neither my husband nor I have any intention on bribing anyone.  You mention we should use the "right path", well that's why I posted here and asked the question.  We don't have the answer so we were asking to find someone who may know!

If it does matter to get a complete answer we are coming from the US.

Hi there.
So you are coming from USA to Morocco and you will have 10'000 dollars only.
The amount is not big since you are traveling with your husband too and children.  So nothing to worry..

You cannot take more than EUR 2,000 per person, when you travel from Morocco to any other country.

While if you are coming to Morocco, then there is no restriction on the amount of money.

Also the amount you intend to take from Morocco requires a bank letter, otherwise they ask you to many questions at the airport.

Hi
You should find out about the American rules not the Moroccan since I can bring any amount into Morocco no one will ask you a single question and 10.000$ is not a lot.
Reason I am telling you this its because last time I came from London with similar amount I was stopped and investigated by UK customs so Morocco is fine don't worry just make sure u clarify the source in case u get stopped by US police and make sure it's bank wrapped and u have bank receipt to show its clear and clean :)