Close

South African relocating to Belize

Hi All,

I am a 30 year old South African looking to relocate to Belize.

If any of you have some advise regarding traveling, visa, jobs and so on your response will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

you will not be getting a job legally in belize

You can set u or buy a business within Belize with a little patience and a good bank account, but the hoops you would need to go through to get a work permit would be long and tedious and only then if you had skills not available within the Belize work force.

Please will you elaborate?

Are you saying its not possible at all to find a job in Belize for a South African?

Please advise.

HI There,

Belize is probably one of the few countries you can travel to without a visa on an SA passport. You may have to come in through Mexico as it easier for you to get a Mexican entry visa than as US entry visa.

Regards

Martin

Not saying impossible but difficult and time consuming. You need a work permit which is not even available for a many categories of jobs I.E. catering ,building, the sort of jobs that are easily filled by Local Belize workers. If you found something it can take months for a work permit to come through and fees are involved. Belize is a poor country and has a high unemployment level so the government protect jobs for their people. If you do have some unique skills and can get a job offer from a company within Belize then the employer would apply for he work permit for you.
Another warning the pay scales in Belize are much lower than any western country. The minimum wage for unskilled workers is $3  Belize per hour, a GOOD wage is $20 Belize an hour That is $1.50 US.and $10. US respecively sorry if this is not looking too easy.

MartyP :

HI There,

Belize is probably one of the few countries you can travel to without a visa on an SA passport. You may have to come in through Mexico as it easier for you to get a Mexican entry visa than as US entry visa.

Regards

Martin

Thank you for you advise Martin, however. My aim is to enter Belize, are you saying I should enter Belize through Mexico or are you saying that If i want to enter the US I should enter through Mexico?

As I understand, as a South African Passport Holder, I can enter Belize without a visa and stay for up to 30 days, if longer you can apply there to prolong your stay.

Am I correct in that understanding?

Regards,

Chris

terrific :

Not saying impossible but difficult and time consuming. You need a work permit which is not even available for a many categories of jobs I.E. catering ,building, the sort of jobs that are easily filled by Local Belize workers. If you found something it can take months for a work permit to come through and fees are involved. Belize is a poor country and has a high unemployment level so the government protect jobs for their people. If you do have some unique skills and can get a job offer from a company within Belize then the employer would apply for he work permit for you.
Another warning the pay scales in Belize are much lower than any western country. The minimum wage for unskilled workers is $3  Belize per hour, a GOOD wage is $20 Belize an hour That is $1.50 US.and $10. US respecively sorry if this is not looking too easy.

Thank you for your response Terrific.

As I do understand where you are coming from. I am not looking for easy. I am aware that i will have to work hard to get somewhere, and that I am willing and able to do. I just wanted to know if it will be legal and possible.

I am also aware that the wages is less than the other Western Countries, I am not looking for wealth, I want sustain myself.

Are you from Belize? If not, where are you from? If I may ask, And how did you get there?

Your response will be appreciated.

Chris2Swan
Sent PM, I'm  a Brit, have travelled to many countries but Belize is the one I want to retire in. Spend as much time as possible at the moment in Belize looking forward to being there all the time It is  different but a South African friend who came with us a few years ago loved it and thought there were a lot of similarities to the less populated parts of SA.

There's a Facebook group for South Africans in Belize, should you also want to reach out there. Good luck with the transition!

Very helpfull!! Thanks a million!

Sorry about the late reply, im saying to get to Belize its easier for you to travel via Mexico rather than the US as more difficult to get the US Visa. We were turned down initially for the US visa but Mexican visa was not problem. We have since obtained the US visa but not traveled via the US as of yet.

Regards

Martin

Also, I know several South Africans who are working legally running resorts in Belize.

It all depends on your nationality. Some nationals from certain countries cannot get easily a Mexican visa, even for a few days, if an USA visa was not in the passport.  Never blend, experiences because it might not work for another country national,  i have a vivid experience with a family member who is from Central America, not too far from Mexico.

You can reach Belize not only rom Mexico or USA but also from Guatemala and Honduras and so on with South America countries.  Cuba to Cancun  or to Merida Yucatan is also a solution.

Hiya, I thought the whole point of this was to blend experiences ! I am speaking from experience as my partner is from SA. Correct me if im wrong  but most flights from SA Belize hub into Europe. There are no direct flights to Belize or some of the countries to mentioned. Getting a USA visa was difficult initially, however, the Mexican visa was obtained in a day. It was just an option we used to fly directly to Cancun and then traveled down from there. Maybe it wont work for everyone or even be the way they want to do it. Just trying to pass on some information.

Regards

Martin

Traveling the world is not only, unfortunately, done with direct flights and if adding the visa situation, then the traveller should have an open mind

Hi Chris,

See you have a very varied response. I have just moved to Belize (6 weeks ago) from the UK, My wife is South African and I grew up in SA (38 years). I will try clear a few things up for you, you will enter (which ever way you come) on a 30 day visa, this is easily renewable, 30 days at a time, for the 1st 6 months it will cost you BZ$50 and for the next 6 months BZ$100 a month, after you have been in the country for a year you can start the application for a residence visa. A work visa is required if you intend to work, this process is not quite so easy, in my case however, I have purchased a property that has 3 house on it, the main house is the family home (myself, wife, 26yr old son and 24yr old daughter), the other 2 I will be renting out, and I am told by the local employment offices that I can get a work visa, as I am a self employed landlord, and then the wife will qualify for a dependents work visa. Your work visa is valid for a year, but once you have a work visa you do not need to renew your original visa you issued with on entry, work visa's vary in price depending on what you do. For my son and daughter the best root is to find a job, already we have a local 'builder' who will support my son's application, all a local company has to do is provide proof that they have advertised a vacancy and have not received suitable applications from locals, my son is a electrician which are in great shortage in Belize.
Have you thought about what area you intend to live in, prices and weather vary tremendously.

Good Luck
Peter

I think, recently, a new flight route from Uk to Belize direct

New flights from UK start November, not direct but only a 2 hour stopover in the states instead of current overnight

But non US citizens still need a visa or ESTA to 'transit' through the US. Even for two hours in the airport.

As of last year, yes, some nationalities need a vida to transit to a USA airport.
To go to Belize, you can take flight with transit in Canada, Cuba, UK.
Something new, there are now flights from UK to Belize

I thought the way it was advertised there was no transit in  US. So of course that does not that as good as profiled.
Well, unless the USA law changed, a transit evenof two hours requires some nationalities to have a visa.
I know it is nuts. It happened to one of my grand children wh never got the visa when the other member of the family could travel.

Expatriate health insurance in Belize

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Belize

Moving to Belize

Find tips from professionals about moving to Belize

Travel insurance in Belize

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Belize

Flights to Belize

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Belize