WARNING- Ganga Talao Temple at Grand Bassin

For what it's worth, a warning to those individuals (probably mainly women alone) who visit the Hindu Ganga Talao Temple. After living in Mauritius for 3 absolutely great months, I decided to check out a few sites that I had wanted to visit before leaving. Since my husband was working I went by taxi to the Shiva monument (AWESOME) and then to the Ganga Temple nearby. My Hindu friends had told me about how special this place was. Inside the temple many other Western visitors were there, being respectful and being in awe of what was there. A man who appeared to be a priest approached me and asked me if I wanted him to say prayers for my family and also if I wanted to have my forehead annointed with vermillion. He assured me that it was fine to do and that all married women do this. At that point, he used the end of an insence stick,pressing and twisting it into my forehead to try to make a red mark. Then I could feel him making three large marks above my eyebrows. When I turned to leave, 5 or six men seated a few feet away were waiting to see my face. They had a good laugh as I exited the temple. When I got to the taxi, I saw that the marks were more like circus face painting.I later learned that the so-called 'priest' is a former Mauritus parliament member. He and his brother, a current member of parliament, were apparently instrumental in getting the temple built. I guess he needed a little entertainment that day. Luckily, we have met many wonderful people here in Mauritius, many of them Hindu, who have been so kind and accepting of us.  I don't believe that this incident at the Temple is exactly the kind of behavior that encourages foreigners to stay and/or return. So much for 'a priest' honoring a sacred place.

Julian09

Sorry to read about the treatment that you received at that temple. If I were in your shoes, I would let the media know about it . Either l'Express  or Radio One will convey your story and inform the Mauritians how some close to the politicos ( thus supposedly aiming to bring in 2M tourists per year) are behaving.

Just to add :

The "priest" is supposed to be a former Police Commissioner - makes one wonder :nothappy: - as per this :
http://santoshojha.wordpress.com/2008/0 … nga-talao/

So sorry to hear about your most distressing experience. It really is disgusting and I am very shocked.

I guess cracked pots are everywhere. You should report this!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  I wasn't sure exactly who to report this to, but you've given me a couple of ideas. Thanks!

well its shameful act...

i do observe that in mauritius people just gaze at European tourists as if they haven't seen a white girl ever .. sorry to say this but same thing i observed in india too....

i feel sorry about this incident and expect not to happen in future anywhere with anyone at all..

Be it India, Mauritius or Maldives, these acts are a Disgrace.
From what I know, rubbing Vermilion is done at many temples, but if it ended up looking like circus paint and if you were set up to be made fun of, Its a shameful thing!! I hope this one stupid act doesnt cause you to stop visiting other temples or religious sites of note as most people are very nice and treat others well.

@Vishal, I think most men tend to stare at goodlooking women, be it Mauritius, India, Florida or Bondi beach!!! Its a common thing. The thing that would be rude and crass would be if comments are made or if they misbehave.!!

Musheer

You have disgusting people all over the world! But the most annoying thing I've noticed in Mauritius (not been to India yet to confirm!) is that some men here tend to be a nuisance, they whistle when they see a girl/woman walk by, say dirty stuff or even try to grab you.

It used to be limited to girls/women who do not show any signs of commitment(rings, vermillon etc), but now they would hit on you even when you're walking with your kids or showing a huge belly!

But these disgraceful acts should be reported and NOT tolerated!EVER!

Hansa,

I completely agree, those men should be put behind bars.!! that is not looking, its lewd, it amounts to Eve-teasing (term used in India for such acts)and harassment !! I am in no way supporting these acts!

Sometimes I reckon, like in the case of smoking, its an influence of whats shown on TV and in Movies (esp Indian Films). They stupidly show how a girl who hates a guy, is wooed by a guy after the guy chases her and teases her etc.. and the girls falls for him... not only is it far from reality, but also a dangerous precedent.

This tends to encourage those thugs to try their luck. I wish policing in both our countries is more strict and punishing enough to cull these acts and make an example of these fools who go about making life difficult!!

I agree with MUNSEER, all men should be put behind bars!!!
I think we should start by locking Mr LASSANGE up !!!
That will solve a few problems !!!