Moving to Bucharest... Seeking help...

Hi everyone,

I work for a telecom company and will be moving to Bucharest shortly. I had a few questions about life in Bucharest and the living standards there. I would be glad if any one could help me by answering them.

1) What are the best areas to live in Bucharest for foreigners? I would be interested in an area which has ample bars and pubs where other expats live coz I would want to meet new people and network. Also, it would be great if it could be close to my work area also which is                   P-Ta Charles De Gaulle.

2) What is the income tax structure there? Since I am yet to negotiate the monetary terms with my organization, it would help if some-one could explain the tax structure.

3) How much does buying an SUV cost on an average? Though I am single, I would still like to own a car. Please suggest how much does it cost to buy an SUV, a mediocre one.

Hi Samarthrungta, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you with your questions about Bucharest.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi
Its good you are moving here in Bucharest.
the best place to live where all the expats and foreigner (mostly), is Baneasa. Its is just 10 minutes drive from International airport and also 5 minutes drive from the Baneasa airport.

they have also very nice exective apartment with 2, 3, 4 or 5 bedrooms starting from 1500 Euro to 2500 euros per month rent.
there are not many bars but some, however if your work place is near the charles D gaul, then Piata Dorobantilor is good for you, and there are bars and pubs.
However the best bars and pubs in bucharest are located in the down town (Centru) near Lipscan area and Mageru (near Piata Romana).

The night life is good and people up late till 2 or 3 am on weekend.

the tax system is i think 20% on salaried person. i have no idea about other taxes.. !there is 21% VAT ...!

a normal SUV may cost you from 10000 EURO to 25000 Euro (depends on brand) and used or new...! however cars are plenty and cheap.

hope it helps.

chees and good luck.

A good apartment in Bucharest should only cost between 300 to 500 Euros per month less for a single bedroom,we live in Aviatie which served by Aurel Vlaicu Metro station,3 or 4 stops (a few minutes) from city center. a good area to live ,plenty of amenities ,and easy to travel from,a taxi into or out of the center back to here is only about 3 or 4 Euros,also from here you can drive out to Banease shopping mall in a few minutes and both Airports even quicker.Most cars easy to buy and cheapish 10000 Euros is plenty ,probably to much even,Lipscani area in city center ok if you like Irish Pubs and sports bars also lots of good places to eat and drink.

Hi christine, malimm0a & tommideast,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the information. The information that you have provided will be very helpful to me in deciding my cost of living. I will negotiate accordingly with my company.

However, It would be great if someone could help me with the taxation part.
Also, what are the best available medical plans which are fully comprehensive and flexible? How much do they cost?

Income tax is a fixed rate of 16% regardless of income. On top of that you'll have to pay 9.5% to the CAS (social insurance, pensions, or something like that), 6.5% for national health insurance, 1% for unemployment benefit, plus a couple of other minor things. The government are always fiddling around with the actually percentages so mine might not be 100% uptodate.

Anyway, long and short of it is that you should figure on about losing a third of your gross income. As a very approximate calculations, just take the gross income and multiply it by 0.6 and that'll give you a rough idea of your net income (take home).

However, when you do negotiate your salary, check whether you are discussing the gross or net amount. Most Romanian companies/employees talk about net salaries (i.e., what you'll take home after tax).

Thanks a lot Maykal for the information. This will help me a lot while closing the negotiations with my company.

Hi kaush, why don't you start a new thread on Bucharest forum for better visibility? It may help.;)

Harmonie.

may friend i been in romania for just 11 days in constanza sorry iu cant help u bcz i been for short time but any way good choose also friendly and nice people in romania and they will help u

ahmed elmaghraby80 wrote:

may friend i been in romania for just 11 days in constanza sorry iu cant help u bcz i been for short time but any way good choose also friendly and nice people in romania and they will help u

I second that, Romanians are so nice, considerate and helpful to foreigners. They will usually go out of their way to try and help you out when you're in a pickle.