Dealing with emergency situations in the Netherlands

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in the Netherlands face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in the Netherlands?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in the Netherlands, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Hi,

I am not an expat and I am living in the Netherlands since birth (sorry if my English is not always correct).

Important emergency numbers:
For live threatening situations you call 112
If you need the police for non-live threatening situations you can call 0800-8844

When you are going to live in the Netherlands then you have to register yourself (and your family) at city hall in the BRP register (Municipal Personal Records Database). You probably need to make an appointment, but this varies with each city.

You can use your drivers license for max. 185 days. After this period you have to either convert it to a Dutch drivers license or take an exam to get a new drivers license depending on what country you came from.

It is advised to register yourself at a doctor and a dentist.

About insurances:
You need to have health insurance when you live in the Netherlands, it is mandatory.
Everyone needs to have basic health insurance, and based on your needs you can add several kinds of extra health insurance modules.
If you own a car then you need to have a liability insurance, also has the possibility to add insurance modules.
If you own a house then you need to have home insurance.

Not obligated insurances are:
- Liability insurance (for example when you damage or break stuff from someone else).
- Contents insurance (for the stuff in you home)
- Legal insurance

It is also wise to learn Dutch so you can understand and speak with Dutch people (a lot of Dutch people do speak English, but not all).

It is also advised to get a bank account so it is easier to pay for all monthly costs and to receive your pay-check from work.

When you want to use public transportation then I suggest you get a special chip-card to make it easier to use trains, the subway and buses (you can get tickets from a machine, but they cost €1 extra). You have to add money on the card before you can use it.

These are most of the things I could think of, if I think or more things, then I will add them to this topic.
Feel free to ask me questions about living in the Netherlands and I will try to answer them.

A lot of information can be found on the internet and several pages will also be available in English (besides in Dutch).

Martijn

good job..thanks