Dealing with emergency situations in Maldives

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in Maldives face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in Maldives?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in Maldives, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Dear All

I am living and working in Maldives since May 2010. In last 6 years i have seen all political instability issues and other related concerns highlighted by media around the world from my own eyes.
As per my views I dont feel any insecure aspects where professional expats need to worry at all. Even the emergency state was declared for few months there was nothing to be highlighted event occurred to make expats insecure about anything.

To be honest Maldives expatriates are not able to get high income job/ business due limitations geopolitical,geographical location aspects. On the other hand all expats are able to live here peacefully and with more secured in comparison to Middle East / South Asian countries.

As far as crime rates are concern its nill in comparison to other South Asian countries and locals here are very much supportive and friendly in nature which make us working here even with limited income growth opportunities.

Health & Education sector need immediate improvements as still there is no proper facilities around the country to get best standard facilities which lead to travel other neighborhood countries for any medical treatment mostly .

Therefore what i suggest to all expatriates , just in good contacts with the local & your respective Embassy and be relax and live and work.

Regards

Ranji