Dealing with emergency situations in Ireland

Hello everybody,

Dealing with unexpected situations abroad can be a very difficult matter. In order to better help expats and soon-to-be expats in Ireland face such tricky situations, we invite you to share your advice and experience.

What are the key emergency numbers you should know by heart?

In the event of a legal problem, an accident, a natural disaster, an injury or the death of a close family member, what are the first things to do in Ireland?

What are the things to plan ahead in order to better cope with such unexpected situations (registration at the Embassy, transport, medical, comprehensive insurance for instance)?

If you have gone through such experiences in Ireland, do not hesitate to share your story.

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

If you live in Rural Ireland, just hope you will never have to call an ambulance!  You'll be lucky if one will actually come out to you.  In my experience, my husband was kicked by a horse (my own horse :( ) in the ribs.  She was trying to get at another horse and he got in between the argument.  He was collapsed on the ground, and when I called 999, they asked me if I could take him to the hospital myself.  I reiterated that he was on the ground and unable to get up.  I was told that they were busy because there was a car accident.  I finally ended up calling South Doc, and our own Dr. came out and gave the ok for him to be taken to the hospital in the car.  He had 3 cracked ribs and was kept in the hospital for 3 days as he had gotten a kick in the kidneys. Further injury could have been caused by putting him in the car.  Don't even get me started on the hospital!  Kerry General has been written up several times since this incident happend a few years back.  I can't believe they're still open!  Luckily, my husband is fine, and we still have the horse...who was very sorry for her actions. :)