Comparison between Belize and Uruaguay

You are  all so knowledgeable. What are your thoughts on Belize and Uraugua. Problem is I cannot visit first.

Thank you.

Over on the “Low Altitude” thread, the OP ruled out Uruguay's capital and principal city for budget reasons, so that's out.

Belize has average high temperatures of 30-32 degrees Celsius during most months of the year.  That's 86 to 89.6 Fahrenheit, meaning a lot of days in the 90's.  Hot enough for you?  (Source:  weatherspark.com)

English is the official language in Belize and Britain's monarch is Belize's monarch.  But don't expect “the King's English.”  The locals typically speak a “pidgin” English, aka Creole or broken English.

cccmedia

Wow. thanks. Someone mentioned Puerto Caya.  I think I forgot.  1 mile S of Manta.  May I have your thoughts.  Seems to be very quiet there. E mailed       for more info.

That's  hot enough.  You seem to like Belize.

Thanks.

Puerto Cayo is not 1 mile south of Manta. Made that trip on the bus and it took hours. Pretty enough cove but not a paved street in the whole town that I remember.

I think most of us would agree, you absolutely should NOT move to a place you have never been to.

And choosing a new home by its relative elevation isn't the best idea.

You need to do a lot of research on cost of living comparisons, climate, available services, quality of life, and visa requirements. From there you can narrow down the options and visit the one[s] that seem like a good fit.

june0627 wrote:

Wow. thanks. Someone mentioned Puerto Caya.  I think I forgot. 1 mile S of Manta.  May I have your thoughts.  Seems to be very quiet there.

Puerto Cayo is about 30 miles south of Manta as the crow flies, although bus travel between the two communities involves a longer distance and takes over an hour.

Parts of Manta were devastated in the April 16th earthquake.  The Internet is littered with photos of the destruction there.

Any place on the Ring of Fire that is so geographically close to the recent earthquake devastation can't be recommended.  That includes Puerto Cayo.

Small beach towns and fishing villages may be cute, but the lack of infrastructure and supermarkets makes them questionable for Expats, regardless of earthquake factors. 

From retiringinecuador.blogspot.com, a site by Canadians:  “Puerto Cayo is a dusty and developing fishing community with about 5,000 population... largely in desperate need of basic goods and facilities."

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you.

june0627 wrote:

You seem to like Belize.

Nope.  With its temperatures near 90 degrees F. and its tortured English, I ruled out Belize long ago.

Belize City has a “tropical monsoon climate with short dry season,” according to weatherspark.com ... No thanks.

cccmedia

e-mail forthcoming.

I am coming to Cuenca on 5/27 for my exploratory visit, hoping to,find it a good place to retire. I will be there 9 days. Are there any particular parts of the city or places nearby that I should check out?
Billy

billy2633 wrote:

I am coming to Cuenca on 5/27 for my exploratory visit, hoping to find it a good place to retire. I will be there 9 days. Are there any particular parts of the city or places nearby that I should check out?
Billy

Dear Billy,

Please re-post this new question to the appropriate thread, which is titled “First Visit to Cuenca in May.”

I notice that you have posted on that Cuenca-forum thread before....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 65#3210081

-- cccmedia in Quito

I will send you a email.  wow, that was so very kind.  I cant make a trip like that.  My fur baby has a heart murmur so I have to stay low altitude town.  I'll give them to you.  Do you still want to do  it?  I have breathing issues too.

Thank you.