PR Taxes

So my 2014 PR Tax return bounced. I am currently in the US navy and stationed abroad. I called these fools 3 times and i have been on hold for 1 hr before i get tired and go to sleep. Have any of you spoken to the hacienda about the fix for the bounced checks?

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. I remember them discussing this in the "friends of Rincon" facebook group, happened to someone there. If no one can help you here, I would definitely check with them. If you are filing again for last year, I would opt for a direct deposit if possible with your current banking institution.

The last I heard on the subject, was that checks were bouncing because the money was moved to a different bank and the printed checks were for the old account, to my knowledge they will issue a new check maybe this time it will not be a rubber one.

I just read on the Hacienda website that if a check that the taxpayer sends for payment bounces, they charge $25.  Haha so you should charge them, haha!

Do as I say, not as I do.

I would not be surpriced if your bank does not charge you $25.00 for every Govermental rubber check you deposit.  :D

Hacienda is getting ready to start sending the 2015 refunds for those of you that submitted your "Planilla". How many returns they will send is hard to say.

I have been calling them for over 3 weeks and i can never get through. Did anyone ever get through

How can I find out the status of my personal tax refund in Puerto Rico? I am owed refunds for 2015 and 2016.

mcmartinez wrote:

How can I find out the status of my personal tax refund in Puerto Rico? I am owed refunds for 2015 and 2016.

The best way will be to go in person. If you are away from the island, ypu can authorize someone to represent you. You can call the main number, but as some folks had expressed, it may not get answered.

You can call hacienda through their automated system (787) 622 -0123 and enter your SSN, it'll tell you if it's been received, processed or if payment was issued.

MCMartinez, you should have received your 2015, you need to speak on the phone or visit them in Person. As to 2016 ...... Some already went out to the tune of about 10 million, typically they send out the smaller refunds first which is the majority of the people.

HOWEVER there may be trouble in the wind ..... As I understand now that the island filed for bankruptcy, the court could freeze all the refunds to pay the bond holders more. it has not happened yet but it could happen soon.

Hope you do not have a great dependency on that money, it may be a while.
Rey

The number of refunds send out for 2016 is over 189,000, representing about 60 millions in returns so far.

Just got my 2015 check in the mail last  week. Thanks for all the feedback, good to know I am not alone in this debacle. Still pending the 2016.

I need to be able to make the US company that hired me to work in PR that the withholdings are excessive. Their response is that they are following their accountant's opinion as to how much to withhold on behalf of PR. The withholding is more than twice what I end up owing, hence the refunds.

They should be withholding based on your W4, but ok.
PR refunds for 2016 are up to around 110 Million so far, they seem to pay the largest refunds later.

Nothing like an interest-free loan from you, the taxpayer, to the government.

Off topic but related to taxes: you can only qualify for child tax credit in PR if your have 3 kids under age 17.  😒

Justpeachyy wrote:

Off topic but related to taxes: you can only qualify for child tax credit in PR if your have 3 kids under age 17.  😒

Correct, for now that is the case, it may change for next year but unknown.