Can people from a western civilization live there for a lifetime ?

my name is Doro, I am 26 years old, female, a Cultural Anthropologist, come from Germany and I am still stuying. Doing my M.A. in Mongolian studies at the moment. I ve been in Mongolia twice as a volunteer in a horse riding company for tourists in the countryside near UB. In my studies I am learning a lot about Mongolia and of course also the language. I will be there this summer again to visit a Summer School and do some holidays as well.
Also, my boyfriend is from Mongolia, we´re still studing together in Germany and got to know each other here. We plan to move to Mongolia together as soon as we finish our studies, like in one or two years.
When I think about moving to Mongolia, many things come into my mind. It is so exciting - so far away from home, so cold there, and different. Can people from a western civilization really live there for a lifetime? I mean, for some years, definetely. But I wonder who would make it for all the time? Are there any people who plan to do so? Please share your experiences with me, thank you. ;)

Hi Doro and welcome on board  :)

This new thread has been created from your post on the Mongolia forum so that you may have some feedbacks.

Till members reply, you may also have a look at the Blogs from expats in Mongolia to have an idea of their experience so far.

All the very best,

Questions and answers about Mongolia

Ask your question
Are you happy in Mongolia?
By Priscilla
looking for basketball fans
By arkhorchin
By chibykenwaeze
Dealing with homesickness in Mongolia
By Priscilla
Buying a vehicle in Mongolia
By Mavutu

Expatriate health insurance in Mongolia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mongolia

Moving to Mongolia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mongolia

Travel insurance in Mongolia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Mongolia

Flights to Mongolia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mongolia