Will The Olympics Survive

he shouldn't! they were!....sorry I don't poke the bear only Pokemon :)

Hey Ex, understood for it will be awhile for all of this to settle for Rio is Rio and it is what it wants to be, yeah  the bashing can get ridiculous and if one buys into the hula Baloo then they get what they deserve, glad to hear your not buying into the BS and any of the hype for I also feel bad for the rap Brasil is taking these days for the real action will be after the folks and all supposed concern have returned to there homes. I wish it was simple yet I know all are taking it personal and I guess I'll take one for the team. Take care and enjoy the recline (lol) and strap in tight for its a ride and it won't be Sweet.

Seriously though, it's Rio.....from the view of an international tourist getting mugged in Rio is practically part of the experience. I guess it's unfortunate, but at the end of the day there will be a few bad headlines in the International press, a few unfortunate guests that got ripped off and that will be that.....life, Brasil , Rio will all just carry on "normally" afterwards.
I've been to Rio many times and never personally found it too dangerous, but of course you have to be careful and aleart at all times!....maybe it's spiked now from the olympics been targeted by criminal gangs

stevefunk wrote:

Seriously though, it's Rio.....from the view of an international tourist getting mugged in Rio is practically part of the experience. I guess it's unfortunate, but at the end of the day there will be a few bad headlines in the International press, a few unfortunate guests that got ripped off and that will be that.....life, Brasil , Rio will all just carry on "normally" afterwards.
I've been to Rio many times and never personally found it too dangerous, but of course you have to be careful and aleart at all times!....maybe it's spiked now from the olympics been targeted by criminal gangs

Agreed, there is too much cheese for the rats to ignore. But this is how to cope:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -dead.htmlhttp://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news … ad-8577392http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news … ty-8584340

And this was only day one!

U.S. Swimmer Ryan Lochte Robbed at Gunpoint in Brazil

AUG 14 2016, 2:50 PM ET

U.S. Olympic swimmers Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint while in Rio de Janeiro overnight Saturday, NBC News has confirmed.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, "Get down," and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-r … il-n630396

The good news is, no one was hurt. This applies to any robbery were guns are used. In Brasil life is less valuable. The atheletes were targeted and I'm sure that the fact that the crooks knew who they were robbing saved their lives.

Brasil is so not ready. :sick

After several frustrated attempts, the Rio 2016 committee decided to take a more radical approach to address the pool problem at the Maria Lenk Aquatic Center.

The organizers will drain part of the main pool to replace the water, with the expectation that the color will finally return to normal.

"We decided to pursue a more drastic measure. We will drain part of the pool and fill it with water again", said Mário Andrada, Director of Communications of Rio 2016 Committee.

Since the start of the week, the water in the pools where diving and water polo competitions take place has been green.

According to official statements, the water was not treated correctly, leading to the appearance of algae, which changed the coloring of the water.

The committee insists that the issue does not pose a health risk to the athletes, despite some complaints, such as the one from Australian athletes who said their eyes were burning.

On Friday (12), the Director of Communications said that one of the discoveries made during this round of the Olympics is that chemistry is not an exact science.

"chemistry is not an exact science" SMH :dumbom:

@ Gardener1, I see the boys are busy, yet so far it's been 3 Officers Shot, 1 died 2 wounded for they took a wrong turn into a favela using a GPS,  As for the petty stuff not a lot being reported.
@ Ex, I've read several articles on the Green Pool and I'm sticking with this Science Story: Someone used "Hydrogen Peroxide" instead of "Chlorine" how's that for "Science".  In my small mind
Green and Blue are the Brazilian colors, just keeping the "Theme".
It ain't over yet. We still got a week and the "Paralympics" to get through.  :sick

I forgot the "Yellow" I apologize my error/ lol, now if we can make a Yellow pool, life would be good!/ lol

All these tragic events are indicative to the Brasilian mindset. Don't fix the problem, fix the blame. If someone gets killed for making a wrong turn, it's their fault. If you have more than the next guy and he takes it from you, good for him.

Algae in the pool? 100 years of science wuz wrong and nobody is responsible. Change the water and viola! It's all good!

The Olympics and the glimpses of real life here in Brasil will teach people to look past the beaches, beer and boobs........ I hope.......

Maybe the government will be embarrassed enough to put a better quality of life for the people ahead of greed and self service.

or maybe the people got it commin'.

Rio resident spots a SEVERED LEG floating in the water just a few miles from Olympics sailing events

15 August 2016

Sailors competing in the Rio Olympics could have bumped in to a severed leg - if a local hadn't have spotted the body part floating near the competition.

Police were called after residents of Ilha do Governador saw the male leg, which had been chopped off at the hip, bobbing in waters near the coastline.

The leg had the name 'Kauan' tattooed on the calf, police said. But a source at the city's homicide police department said the victim is unlikely to be identified.

He said: ‘The leg was taken away to be examined. Samples will be taken in case anyone comes forward to report anyone missing.

'But they will not be compared with lists of people already reported as missing. It is very common to find body parts in the Guanabara Bay.

'It was probably someone murdered by the drugs gangs who was dumped in one of the rivers that flow into the bay.'

The waters of Guanabara Bay were criticised ahead of the Games, with sailors complaining of coming across debris, plastic bags and even sofas while training.

:(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … vents.html

another layer to the rotten onion.

excuse me gotta go throw up.........................  :nothappy:

Maybe the Leg belongs with the body that was found near the beach volleyball stadium awhile back. That Bay is Amazing for it just keeps on giving and giving.

I guess this one could call a "Nutshell" of Happenings, enjoy if one has time and interest.
Gunfire, logistical chaos? All things considered, Rio is going rather well | Sport | The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ … oc-gunfire
Not bad yet I know somethings are not what they seem.

Barcelona used the Olympics to pull tourists from Madrid. London controlled costs and prevented violence producing a successful if boring show. Beijing wowed us with their mastery of suppressing human rights and smog production.

The last truly profitable Olympics was Los Angeles in 1984. Olympic legacy is a real mark on a nations world reputation.

FYI- Temer will not be attending the closing ceremonies after losing an appeal that would have allowed the suppression of the "freedom of speech" we call booing.

Brasilians have booed so much in these Olympic games, It's grown meaningless,  if crude and unsportsmanlike.

Brasil's legacy is still being formed but, I see it solidifying into something less than would be desired.

It's almost over.....stay tuned.

This is what I have to say for the people complaining about the booing and heckling in the stands: YES, it is unsportsmanlike and YES, the booing is annoying, and YES, I wish the Brazilian spectators would take it down a notch...BUT what did the IOC expect when they chose Rio to host this year's Olympics? C'mon! When it comes to sporting events, the general Brazilian population only cares about soccer, and in Brazilian soccer culture, it's perfectly acceptable to root for one's own team while booing the opposing team. Anyone who is surprised by the booing needs to wake up and smell the coffee. This is Brazil! Love it or hate it, one can't change the minds of Brazilians - or their culture - overnight. If the IOC didn't want unruly fans booing athletes, then they shouldn't have held the Olympics in a city like Rio. Hold the Olympics in cities like Tokyo and London, where fans are more "polite" - at least outwardly.  ;)

My point:  Blame the IOC, not Brazilians.

gardener1 wrote:

U.S. Swimmer Ryan Lochte Robbed at Gunpoint in Brazil

AUG 14 2016, 2:50 PM ET

U.S. Olympic swimmers Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint while in Rio de Janeiro overnight Saturday, NBC News has confirmed.

"We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground.

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, "Get down," and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-r … il-n630396

Now the Rio police are saying that Ryan Lochte and Jimmy Feigen's accounts of what happened that night are conflicting. I don't know what happened (or didn't happen), but something smells fishy.  Why would the swimmers have made up such a story if it weren't true? For attention? It just doesn't make sense.  :unsure

At the same time, how could their accounts be so different? (One gunman or two gunmen?)  And why would robbers have taken their money but allowed them to keep their cell phones? This is Brazil! People here get robbed for their cell phones alone! This also makes no sense!  :/http://www.wsj.com/articles/rio-2016-ju … 1471453497

First, while Mr. Lochte told police there was more than one robber, Mr. Feigen reported the presence of only one, according to the court order and police officers.

The swimmers also said in their testimony that cellphones weren't taken, something uncommon in Rio, where phone robberies are on the rise, and unusual for robbers as their victims would have been able to reach out to authorities immediately afterward.

VC,

Brasil is the HOST NATION. As such a certain amount of decorum is promised and expected. I understand your reference to the hooliganism that plagues soccer but, those counties that have been exposed to hooliganism and racism in soccer have taken action against this type of fanatic (as in fan) behavior.

Just because everyone is doing it, don't make it right.

PS: The number of top countries that want to host the Olympics is getting smaller as the costs and logistics are greater than the gains.

That said and memory being what it is, no one will remember in a few months exactly why they don't see Brasil in the same way.

Apparently the judge is using video of the swimmers entering the police station as "evidence" that two highly trained athletes who have been in high pressure situations all their lives, did not "seem" upset enough.

Way to blame the victim.

Well it seems the Paralympics has only sold 12% of the Tickets and needs a 79 million loan and Grants for Transportation for the Athletes now maybe I am delusional for what is the IOC doing for my understanding the 79 mill is to come from Brasil, good luck with that! More debt,More problems.
Paralympics faces further cuts amid Rio funding crisis
https://www.yahoo.com/news/paralympics- … html?nhp=1
Football/Soccer booing is the Thing for I read that the Interim Prez went to have booing outlawed and will not be attending the Closing Ceremony what a nice host! Yes and blame the victim for the crime (oh boy)
Every Country that has held the Olympics is still wondering why. Tokyo is broke so they will be boo-hooing asking what have we done. I'm in agreement with the above posts   for we will only see the affect after all who created this go back to there cushy lives plotting the next debacles for there will be many. I want be surprised if Japan says no to holding the event with in the next 12 months and yes this is a rant and rave all in one! Just venting!/lol
:sick

Al,

As some have stated before, this is Brasil. Not just the 3 B's (beer,beach,boobs). Brasilians hate to be embarrassed but they react by ignoring the cause.

I truly hope that the result of these Olympics is a better Brasil but it would require a drastic change in the way Brasil handles responsibility.

So grab another beer my friend, it's almost over   ;)

exnyer wrote:

Apparently the judge is using video of the swimmers entering the police station as "evidence" that two highly trained athletes who have been in high pressure situations all their lives, did not "seem" upset enough.

Way to blame the victim.

"Way to blame the victim." Well, that's the problem. You see, there is no "evidence" that a crime was committed, and there is no "evidence" that anyone was "victimized" in this case. All we have is the word of Lochte and Feigen. And as of the time of this posting, since Lochte is in the U.S. and Feigen's whereabouts are unknown  :unsure , we may not get to the bottom of this anytime soon.

Obviously, I wasn't there, so I can only speculate as to what happened, but in my opinion, this is FAR from an open-and-shut case. We have to entertain the possibility that Lochte and his fellow athletes may have lied. Why? The robbers stole the athletes' money...er, but let them keep their cell phones?  I may not be Brazilian but I have been living in Brazil long enough to know that thieves here steal cell phones whenever they get a chance. Surely, their cell phones were worth more than any cash they were carrying. (Do you all know how much a top-of-the-line cell phone costs here in Brazil?  :mad: ) Also, no matter how drunk they were, they couldn't have been so drunk that they couldn't remember whether there was more than one gunman. (Having a gun pointed at my head would sober me the f*ck up for sure!) Something smells fishy. Let's not let blind patriotism or prejudice - on either side - distort the facts.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym … 96331.html

Additionally, X-ray scan documents reviewed by investigators showed that the swimmers had their wallets – which they claimed were among the items stolen in the Saturday robbery. It remains unclear whether or not they replaced the stolen items prior to appearing in the surveillance footage.

Like I said, something smells fishy. But based on what little evidence there is - both in support of and against Lochte's story - it's hard to come to any concrete conclusions.

Good evening,

it is no small point that the judge waited until after the swim team had left the country to issue the warrant.

I am not trying to upset you, but it seems you are dead set on going native on this issue so.....

If we ignore the facts, investigate nothing, blame the victims and hide our heads in the sand

you win,

Good night,

exnyer wrote:

Good evening,

it is no small point that the judge waited until after the swim team had left the country to issue the warrant.

I am not trying to upset you, but it seems you are dead set on going native on this issue so.....

If we ignore the facts, investigate nothing, blame the victims and hide our heads in the sand

you win,

Good night,

Er...I'm not upset. I don't think I said anything in my previous posts that suggested I was upset.  :cool:

Also, I didn't suggest ignoring the facts; on the contrary, if you read my post, I suggested keeping a cool head and not jumping to conclusions without concrete evidence. However, you seem dead set on doing the opposite. If the evidence shows that they were indeed mugged by Brazilian police (or men posing as Brazilian police), then we don't have an issue. When I first heard the story, I had no reason to doubt Lochte and Feigen's side of the story, but now, I'm not so sure.

Good night to you as well.  :cheers:

Two men walk into a police station and report a robbery. They report being robbed by people brandishing guns and police badges.

I don't think you would argue that anything said against the police would go well for the speaker.
(please don't make me elaborate, Victoria)

The action taken by the judge plays squarley into the practice of sweeping the problem under the rug. That is why the judge did it.

So why would the victims do it?

VictoriaChandler wrote:

This is what I have to say for the people complaining about the booing and heckling in the stands: YES, it is unsportsmanlike and YES, the booing is annoying, and YES, I wish the Brazilian spectators would take it down a notch...BUT what did the IOC expect when they chose Rio to host this year's Olympics? C'mon! When it comes to sporting events, the general Brazilian population only cares about soccer, and in Brazilian soccer culture, it's perfectly acceptable to root for one's own team while booing the opposing team. Anyone who is surprised by the booing needs to wake up and smell the coffee. This is Brazil! Love it or hate it, one can't change the minds of Brazilians - or their culture - overnight. If the IOC didn't want unruly fans booing athletes, then they shouldn't have held the Olympics in a city like Rio. Hold the Olympics in cities like Tokyo and London, where fans are more "polite" - at least outwardly.  ;)

My point:  Blame the IOC, not Brazilians.

I just discovered that Brazilian spectators booed the French pole vaulter Renaud Lavillenie while he was on the podium and being awarded his silver medal. This is unacceptable! Booing during a competition is one thing but booing a medalist as he's being honored for his achievement? How embarrassing for Brazil! :( 

I don't care if Lavillenie complained to the press about the booing the previous night after having lost to his Brazilian opponent, Thiago Braz da Silva. (I watched their showdown on TV and had cheered for Da Silva. Lavillenie looked completely distraught and upset, but I'd thought it was because he'd lost.) There is no excuse for this kind of petty behavior.

My husband just said, "Brazilians need to get their athletes booed at every event during the next Olympics, and then - and only then - will they know how it feels."  ;)

How many times can the same story change?   :/ One gunman or several gunmen? Were they robbed at a gas station while fueling up, or were they "pulled over" and robbed? Did Lochte have a gun pointed at his forehead when he (supposedly) bravely defied the police/fake police, or did he not?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37115680

As an American, I'd really wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to Lochte and his fellow athletes, but now, I just don't know what to think.  :|  I really hope for Lochte's  sake (because this is really about HIM more than the other athletes, isn't it?) that he is telling the truth. Because any idiot that might have concocted such an outrageous story of bravery to tell to his friends and family back home would be just that - an idiot! But once you make a false statement to the media AND to the police, you are no longer just an idiot - you are a criminal!

The thing to do is.... wait. There are others who are in a better position to get to the truth than we are. The truth will present itself.

It is not about nationalism, race, religion or anything that can divide us. The fact is, I never really thought about the young men being American until you brought it up.

I just remember being taught as a child to find a policeman if I was in trouble. Somehow they would make it all right.

Later I learned about injustice. Then I learned about Ghandi, King, Chavez, Keller. Hope.

Hope is the key. I hope for a better Brasil and so do you.

Good morning Victoria.

Good morning!  :cheers:  *sips coffee and checks the news for updates*

Seems as if there is a new twist to this as there was an altercation at the gas station part of this story, uh oh!
Detained U.S. swimmers to meet with authorities amid report of altercation at gas station
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-s-swimmers … html?nhp=1
Waiting on who will get the Gold for being untruthful! :cool:  for this is getting shady!

G'Morning to you too, Al :D

Good morning Ex and VC as I wait to see how the World Churns this day for it looks like some one got out of town before the fiasco. Smart or Dumb. I think by the time it shakes out Mr.Lochte will be returning to Rio for a interview and explain his side of this Story? :one

Well here we go, Taxes! The Games are not finished, yet the Tax Man cometh! It is a "Legacy" and legacies last for ???. No Rant
Calma, all remain calm.
The Olympics Overspent In Rio And Stuck Taxpayers With The Bill — ThinkProgress
https://thinkprogress.org/rio-olympics- … .hr1vk8l04
It's Churning. Beer day :joking:
But W8, there's more to the Robbery Story!
How Ryan Lochte turned a drunken, frat-boy night into an international mess
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-ryan-l … 34189.html
Might be a day to say 4 get About it.
Enjoy if one has time. Also a Brit was robbed after a night away from the Olympic Villiage.

Can't say we didn't see this commin! :cool:

exnyer wrote:

Can't say we didn't see this commin! :cool:

Many of us saw it comin'...from a mile away.  :cool:

Jury's still out, but it doesn't look good for Lochte and his buddies.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/in … story.html

Is this the official story coming out?

He said that around 6 a.m. on Sunday, Lochte, along with fellow swimmers Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen, stopped at a gas station in Barra da Tijuca, a suburb of Rio where many Olympic venues are located. One of the swimmers tried but failed to open the door of an outside bathroom.

A few of the swimmers then pushed on the door and broke it. A security guard appeared and confronted them, the official said.

The official says the guard was armed with a pistol, but he never took it out or pointed it at the swimmers.

According to the official, the gas station manager then arrived. Using a customer to translate, the manager asked the swimmers to pay for the broken door. After a discussion, they did pay him an unknown amount of money and then left.

Idiots!!!

Well we see Who will not being paying Taxes :proud
World's Biggest Corporations Won't Pay Taxes at the Olympics | News | teleSUR English
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/W … -0018.html
One Billion here, one billion there and Billionaires and Millionaires everywhere. It just doesn't stop coming, I'm waiting on a flying pig and elephant with lipstick for the lipstick changes things. There are a couple of videos in the article if you have time to view.
I think Rio could use the Billion, when I grow up I want to be a accountant and my second degree will be in political science and then a law degree and finally a Brain surgeon my future is so bright  :cool.
Breaking News: There is some good video coming on the Lochte gas station incident for there is a report of a patron at the gas station pulled a weapon and that's where the hands went up in the air, no the robbery was that when the athletes paid the gas station manager for the damages to the restroom door?/ lol for to try to pay for a door when possibly/ allegedly intoxicated it could be classified as robbery, just a thought. I think they should extradite the guy back to Brasil and maybe spend a few days in jail and see how the story will change./ crazy guy and when he made the comment of it possibly being the police it will become a omg moment and we'll have the "Lochte Legacy".

So much schadenfreude, so little time. ;)

exnyer wrote:

So much schadenfreude, so little time. ;)

You bet ya!  :cool:

Admittedly, when someone is forced to eat his words, yes, it feels good. And when that same someone can't seem to admit that he was wrong and keeps embarrassing himself with comments meant to provoke me, yes, it feels good. After all, I'm not perfect - like Lochte, I'm only human.  ;) If I had found myself in your shoes, I would have had the decency to admit that I was wrong and then would have let the issue drop instead of dragging it out. But if you're a glutton for punishment and want to keep engaging me, feel free!

Unfortunately, this Lochte Gate situation has overshadowed the real story about crime during Rio's Olympics...

It looks like the tourist police station(s) in Rio is very busy.  :(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … Games.html

MailOnline spent two hours at the city's special police unit for tourists. In that time 21 cases of theft, muggings and crimes were reported.

They are mostly stories of "scared" tourists who have been robbed at knifepoint or gunpoint; I don't think any tourists or athletes targeted by Rio's criminal element have been seriously hurt...yet. These people are lucky that they are still alive (we all know that it could have been MUCH worse for them); however, I can't help but wonder if some of these tourists took even the most basic precautions in a city as dangerous as Rio. No, I'm NOT blaming the victims. However, there is something known as common sense or in this case, "travel sense," and if someone just leaves their bag with their passports, plane tickets, and all their Olympic game tickets on the beach, then I'm sorry, but I find it difficult to sympathize with them.  :(

Armando said: 'We put out things on the beach. There were lots of people around, including English people. I asked if they'd keep an eye on my bag so we could just have a quick dip in the sea. 'We were walking to the sea and I looked back, and my bag was gone. We'd only turned around for seconds. No-one had seen anything. 'The bag had everything in it, all my money, our passports, mobile phones, our plane tickets and Games tickets. We lost everything.'

Did they not read or hear about how dangerous Rio was? Did they actually think that the Brazilian police here would do something to catch the people who stole their bag? No, the police here are overwhelmed with cases, and apparently, they're only motivated to solve crimes (or in Lochte Gate's case, solve a "non-crime"  :lol: ) when their pride is at stake. Speaking of Lochte Gate - now, if only the Brazilian  police were this dedicated to solving ALL their crimes. "Stupid Americans, you lied to our faces about getting robbed by the Brazilian police! How dare you humiliate us in front of the whole world! We'll get you!" Case closed in 3 days.  :top: