Myself Mayur a young Indian Postgraduate ( M.Eng) in Construction management currently working in Muscat as Planning Engineer. I am looking forward to pursue a PhD in Civil Engineering from Any of the universities in South Africa. I have gone through the websites of the universities and discussed with their delegates too.
Due to similarities in economy of India and South Africa is too a developing Country. I find it better rather than to go for European and other universities. I can formulate a better and realistic problem in south Africa as the country is also facing the same problems in Infrastructure as India is facing these days
Following are my few doubts. it will be really very great full if I will get a guidance for the same.
1. Where the south African Universities stand in World Rankings. & Which university is much better
2. The rough educational/ Academic expense is around R 20000 per year. I am concerned about a living cost. ( I understand it will vary per cities still I need a rough number.what will be the annual living expense for a average spending student.
3. Most Important IF i come on Study visa, will I be able to work part time so as to cover my expenses.
4. As PhD is 3 years course. Suggest me the best possible way to cover my expenses while my stay.
5. I have checked for scholarships also but 80 % of those are reserved for south Africans.
Hope so I will get a good guidance for the same.
P.S my area of interest is Urban Infrastructure and its facilities management and its impact on society if any one who is interested to help me on this topic.it will be a great pleasure for me.
Universities I have shortlisted.
1. University of Cape town
2. University of Johannesburg
3. Stellonbosch University
4. University of the Witwatersrand
Current savings I have with me is 6,00,000 INR. kindly suggest me the best way.
Thank you very much