In retrospect, would you move again to Vietnam?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Vietnam, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Vietnam so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

Yes. If it had been possible at that time, I would have moved here and married my wife twenty years ago.

It might be corrupt and many other things but I am happy here for the first time in many years.

And the weather is much better than UK.

I)  I love food in Vietnam ( Fresh)

2)  I love nature  in Vietnam then  any other Asian.

So far feel good in Vietnam  nice people  nice hospitality warn welcome. And i would like to live in here more for long.

Yes I forgot about the food. Banh Mi for breakfast - manna from heaven!

My wifes' spring rolls - to die for and not full of rice and noodles like some.

A thousand ways of cooking pork.

Beef...... hmmm well ok if its well cooked ...

Vietnamese pancakes - the ones my wifes' niece makes are stunning.

Fish .... not my favourite especially not fresh water fish from ponds with latrine toilets over them.

Fresh sea food, yummy!

those rice cakes wrapped in banana leaves with cooked pork in the middle.

The food is endlessly good.

I have worked and lived in various countries during my career so far, but Vietnam is the first foreign country that I have lived in not related to my work. I moved here solely on the basis that my wife is Vietnamese, however, saying that its a country that I enjoy living in of course there are some frustrations but generally if the opportunity had come my way sooner I would have certainly jumped at the chance of living here earlier.
I enjoy the culture, the food obviously, my wife's family and generally most Vietnamese I meet, I enjoy the fact that its in the region of so many other great places to visit.
the downside is I get annoyed with bikes jumping red lights when crossing the road with my wife and daughter, I get annoyed at some expats who think they are a bit special and think that they are the only expat ever to have lived in Vietnam, but would I do it all again yes...working and living in other countries is an education in itself.

I had a three month stint which has only just finished. I found it quite a shock from a cultural, language and noise, dirty air and poor infrastructure point of view. However the people were incredibly hospitable. I became very close to one woman who I could have married quite easily (despite being 20 years younger) except I had to return to Australia to my wife and family.
Now I am back, I am finding life in Australia boring, and constantly reflecting on how life could be back there if I could get a long term job and renew relationships with my Viet friend.

I've been living here since January 2016. In this few short months, I have married a lovely Vietnamese lady, opened a bank account, found a great job, been to the border of Cambodia to get my business visa (never come on a tourist visa) and experienced many other wonderful things. Yes, there are hassles -  government "red tape," but it circles the globe everywhere you go. If I had it to do over again - I would do it in a heartbeat! Vietnam is a Great Place to Live!

..so you see..?   All the smart people come here!      :cool:

..to live!

This is amazing. I moved to Hanoi in mid January 2016. It took 2 weeks to meet the girl who is 20 years younger than me but we have fallen head over heels in love. We both want to live together long-term (marriage) but unfortunately I had to return to Australia last week to my home and wife, who I care for but have fallen out lof love with, hence my interest in doing overseas aid work.

I am aching with loneliness and grief about leaving my new friend behind in Hanoi. I cannot stop thinking about the times we spent together in the last 10 weeks.

Quiettall wrote:

I had a three month stint which has only just finished. I found it quite a shock from a cultural, language and noise, dirty air and poor infrastructure point of view. However the people were incredibly hospitable. I became very close to one woman who I could have married quite easily (despite being 20 years younger) except I had to return to Australia to my wife and family.
Now I am back, I am finding life in Australia boring, and constantly reflecting on how life could be back there if I could get a long term job and renew relationships with my Viet friend.

The grass is always greener .......

Agreed.  If only..?

..we would spend time watering our own grass instead of envying our neighbours...                                Perhaps our grass would be green enough..?   

But then, maybe I'm just a dreamer...        :idontagree:

Two weeks eh?    Fast growing grass...    Market the stuff and you'll be rich (and famous!)

I met the girl after being there for 2 weeks. It took some more weeks to get to know each other and fell in love about 4-6 weeks later

My apologies

I really must stop being so Snarky.      Or Jealous..?      :mad:

..besides, the grass (really) is greener here...

I have been here for 31/2 years. Yes, I would do this again. Vietnam has been a fascinating place. I have also really enjoyed travelling in Asia.

Things I might do differently: I wouldn't live in an apartment block. But I think I'm a rarity.

The only warning is, if you are a woman and single, it is tough to find someone out here.

hi Chrstine

I stayed 6 months in Vung Tau in 2013 and 1 year in Thai Nguyen in 2015. My experience is wonderful and I love Vietnam.

I travelled a lot in Vietnam to see the culture and heritage which include, Dalat, HCM, Hanoi, Cu Chi tunnel, Danang, Ninh Binh, Meckon Delta, Hoi An, Halong Bay, Hai Phong, Cat Ba, Vinh Yen, Perfume Pagoda, Bien Hoa etc. and loved these places, Only one, regret is could not visit Phu Quoc, Sapa and Thien Dung Cave. I will again come back to Vietnam and this time will love to settle there.

Quiettall wrote:

This is amazing. I moved to Hanoi in mid January 2016. It took 2 weeks to meet the girl who is 20 years younger than me but we have fallen head over heels in love. We both want to live together long-term (marriage) but unfortunately I had to return to Australia last week to my home and wife, who I care for but have fallen out lof love with, hence my interest in doing overseas aid work.

I am aching with loneliness and grief about leaving my new friend behind in Hanoi. I cannot stop thinking about the times we spent together in the last 10 weeks.

I don't mean to be brutal but this sounds a bit like one of those holiday romances that you hear so often when a guy meets a nice looking girl a lot younger then ones self which maybe wouldn't be possible in his own country, he gets swept away with all the excitement of this land of beautiful women and culture and then its time to leave this fantasy behind and go back home to reality and the wife and family doing the same o same o day in day out....I hope I'm wrong....

Yes I understand.......... The competition is to great if you are a woman ..
Women in Vietnam are petite, pretty and very good looking...!
I'm sorry for you..!

Tabikat wrote:

I have been here for 31/2 years. Yes, I would do this again. Vietnam has been a fascinating place. I have also really enjoyed travelling in Asia.

Things I might do differently: I wouldn't live in an apartment block. But I think I'm a rarity.

The only warning is, if you are a woman and single, it is tough to find someone out here.

You are absolutely right. When I first came here I lived in an apartment in Q2 and then moved to an apartment in Q8. Never again, we now live in a house on a private estate in Q9 and it is very good.

As for meeting blokes...... well, there are quite a few single blokes here in Saigon and not all are looking for Vietnamese girls. You maybe need to spread your wings a bit more.

In 1970, I was a 26 year old Sailor stationed in the Mekong Delta and met a 17 year old Vietnamese girl who was a Civilian employee of the U.S. Navy. She wanted to learn English and I wanted to learn Vietnamese. So, we started studying languages together when our schedules allowed. In 1973, we were married. 15 April 1975, we left Viet Nam and went to America.

In 1995, we returned for a couple of weeks and started setting up our retirement here. Over the years, we set up a comfortable retirement here. Sadly, my wife's health is declining and we don't have a lot of time together left.

I'm in my 70's. Our kids are grown and have their own lives. Continuing our planed retirement in Viet Nam after my wife is gone, looks a lot better to me than spending the rest of my life in an American old folks home.

I didn't have any preparation time to begin with, I came to Vietnam for a vacation and to see how it has changed since the first time I was here many years ago. I met a beautiful lady here and married her and ended up staying.  Like some other people said if I would have known I would have done it 20 years ago. I have enjoyed the people and the food, and the beautiful country and don't plan on leaving any time soon. Their are problems like language but I have my wife to translate for me when I need it. My time here has been the best I have experienced in a long time.

That's great do hear brother! So happy for you.
Been talking to a great Vietnamese lady for a year now.....a good girl! Planning on visiting Vietnam in June for the first time :)

NO WAY. Having spent 12 hideous months in Vietnam I have no desire to return. Being verbally and physically abused, being lied to continuously and being expected to condone academic fraud I would not place my professional reputation in jeopardy again.

Other Asian countries - no problems, had four professionally productive years and would consider doing it all again in a heartbeat.

Hi Christine,

I wonder if you're a researcher or just curious. Anyway, I have honest to goodness statements for you.

1. I've been here since 2006 and I'm still happy and contented of what I'm doing in Vietnam.

2. What I enjoyed? I think my family with 2 kids, the food, fitness exercise and the penny I earned every month. I think food is the cheapest and other than that is more expensive.

3. As a job seeker - I make sure I can maximize my knowledge, talent and skills and make a profit of it. If it doesn't work, try a new one,,,learn a new one until I'm equipped and ready for work. The bottom line is that you're making a profit more than what you had done before. If you've got 2000 USD or more a month, that's pretty cool and lucrative for survival and savings. Right now, you can find a work place where the employer can pay you that much or VN workers can speak English or any foreign languages. Also, you can find a place where you become superior (in a sense of knowledge, talent and skills) than locals. For me, don't lose hope. We can "think outside the box" and can "go out from our comfort zone" if you really want to succeed in life.

In addition, learning to understanding a culture is a plus factor. If I really want to live here and understand them, it's better to learn VN language. A person will not only be acculturated, but also become more useful in life and work compared to any workers (both local and foreign). It's a big plus (factor) if you're really can immerse yourself and could speak their own language (though it's not required, but useful). I've been learning until now (as a beginner), and age doesn't matter for me as long as I have a passion in language.

4. A. Marrying a VN woman is a plus, yet maybe a minus for all. It depends on how you look at it - beauty, brain, hard work or luck. You can pretend to be loved is blind to avoid seeing any flaws in life. For sure, the  root of all evil is money if not settled properly.

B. In my opinion, working in VN is much better than any Asian countries. Some other Asian countries pay less or pay the same. If you're married and paid the same amount from others, you better stay here and take care of your family and live like a royal family.

C. One more, less discriminatory in terms of race compared to others. Overall, they don't care much of race. As long as you "don't touch any territorial property" of VN government, you know how to speak English well, producing quality job/outputs at work....and you're truthful, concerned and hard-working for them,  they don't despise you. For sure, if you have all these qualities in your being, you will be loved by them.

In brief, I am looking forward to living for more years, or looking for a greener pasture in life and work in the near future.

Yours faithfully,
Ricardo

70 I'm so happy you and your bride have had a great life together! I'm deeply sorry to hear of her declining health. May you both both have comfort and peace and tranquility with whatever time you have and o hope it's more than you think....I don't know you but you seem like a kind and knowledgeable man. I enjoy reading your posts just like I enjoy bazza and yogis and some others. From listening to you guys or excuse me reading I see one thing that I've also come to believe from the Vietnamese people I know is that it is just great people there! I just hope and I pray with every fiber of my soul that things will work out for me that I can have success and my plans so I can know firsthand of course there's no way of being sure but I believe I could be very happy inVietnam. And the more me and my lady friend get to know each other the more convinced I am that she is an awesome person despite everyone's mornings and I know if they give those with good intentions but all indicators are she's awesome

I hope you will enjoy it here Jim it's a wonderful country and alot of good people and great food. I live in Thu Duc district of Saigon which is basically the working class people poor but happy. I hope your lady friend is as wonderful as my wife and that you will have great times with her while you are here.

Nah, its dump. I've lived in Asia all my adult life. Some Viet people r revolving, shameless thieves.

Cheap beer and nice coastline ain't worth it.

Thaiger wrote:

Nah, its dump. I've lived in Asia all my adult life. Some Viet people r revolving, shameless thieves.

Cheap beer and nice coastline ain't worth it.

Boy oh boy, you just be a load of fun at a party.  :lol:

Hey, c'mon Matt!

..there's always one in every basket...   

..but how come I never seem to meet the exciting people mentioned..?     I guess I just hang out with the wrong crowd..?   (or is it a party?)      :blink:

Well, I mean to say, better an empty house than a bad lodger!  :top:

Yeah, that's me; the lights are on, but nobody's home...       :unsure

Bazza139 wrote:

Yeah, that's me; the lights are on, but nobody's home...       :unsure

I wasn't referring to YOU Bazza. I do self esteem training, only 5000 US dollars an hour if you are interested?

At last!   ..all my problems solved (forever?)      (Sob!)         :sosad:

..will you accept USD$9,000..?       :one

As well, I can only Hate in 30 sec. segments.   I need help here too...

Wandering  :offtopic:  is (yet) another issue we need to address.   (Sorry, (I) need...)

Personal neuroses aside (can they ever be..?)

I formally apologise to the long-suffering moderators.

However, in my defence, I have previously claimed that Belinda Carlisle got it wrong...

Heaven is a place on Earth.   Right here in Vietnam.

Of course, you have to be in the right mind to see this...

Oops!   ..disqualified (yet) again...           :whistle:

@Thaiger & Katielou

I avoid places in any country that are a concentration of Foreign Tourists, like the main shopping and hotel area in District One, because I find them distasteful. I also prefer to live in areas where there are few if any foreigners. In TP HCM Binh Tan fits the bill quite well as do many other Districts and areas with in Districts.

Having come from a part of America where Spanish is widely spoken, I refuse to speak either English or Vietnamese when being hounded by assorted beggars etc. I've yet to come across any of these sort of people who speak Spanish. As a person appearing to speak no English or Vietnamese and only Spanish, I am pretty well left alone.

My main point is that the shopping/hotel area and the Viet Nam that virtually all Vietnamese live in are very different places. Real Viet Nam is a very pleasant place full of helpful people. The main shopping and hotel area in District One is very different.

70's main point reveals a nasty truth: the barbarians are at the gates...

Sadly, the (economic) invasion has already begun.

You guys are awesome!

70 years old wrote:

@Thaiger & Katielou

I avoid places in any country that are a concentration of Foreign Tourists, like the main shopping and hotel area in District One, because I find them distasteful. I also prefer to live in areas where there are few if any foreigners. In TP HCM Binh Tan fits the bill quite well as do many other Districts and areas with in Districts.

Having come from a part of America where Spanish is widely spoken, I refuse to speak either English or Vietnamese when being hounded by assorted beggars etc. I've yet to come across any of these sort of people who speak Spanish. As a person appearing to speak no English or Vietnamese and only Spanish, I am pretty well left alone.

My main point is that the shopping/hotel area and the Viet Nam that virtually all Vietnamese live in are very different places. Real Viet Nam is a very pleasant place full of helpful people. The main shopping and hotel area in District One is very different.

Aha! We use the same ruse. Whenever I am being pestered by anyone for whatever reason, I speak German to them. Works in Hong Kong too with the pestilential tailors touts.

philonguc wrote:

Yes I understand.......... The competition is to great if you are a woman ..
Women in Vietnam are petite, pretty and very good looking...!
I'm sorry for you..!

Um.... Phil, are you by any chance a diplomat? :)

Bazza139 wrote:

My apologies

I really must stop being so Snarky.      Or Jealous..?      :mad:

..besides, the grass (really) is greener here...

But Bazza..... you live in Brissy, Australia......

Not true.    ..as I suspect, more than a few posts here - and elsewhere..?

..or Vietnam.   I write from the deep jungles of Laos, but like my voiceover: Ah'll b' Bach! (shortly)    Or like Mr Walker, strolling the streets like an ordinary man...

Feel safe, (but keep the windows barred)    Who knows where I'll turn up next..?

..But Uranus is out (for some time yet)     I remain a citizen of Planet Earth...     

..and yes, Heaven (for me) will always be Vietnam.

There is nowhere else closer.       :happy: