In retrospect, would you move again to the Netherlands?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in the Netherlands, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in the Netherlands so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

We moved to Holland in 1994, then moved back to the UK a few years later with my job; we're moving back to Holland again when we retire.

With regards to preparation, we were lucky, we only lived an hour away in Germany when we moved and had family in Holland already who could help.

The thing that surprised me the most was how important it was that I learnt Dutch; yes, most Dutch people can speak English, but when you find yourself on your own with the worlds biggest toothache and looking for a Dentist on a Bank Holiday, suddenly they were very thin on the ground.

The benefits; my family are much happier in Holland than they are in England; a happy family is a happy life. :)

Next time, I will not be renting a truck and doing the removals myself!!!

Yes. I would. And if not permanently -I would love to learn the language and work there as well.

I moved here 15 years ago (today) and would not have changed a thing. My expat life has had its ups and downs. I came here by accident and I almost have up and left twice but I'm glad I struggled through it and stayed. I'm now married to an amazing Dutch lady and we have two children. Moving here was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I wrote about the experience in more detail over on my blog today:
How I Survived My First 15 Years In The Netherlands

... and made this cartoon that shows how I spent most those 15 years :D

http://i0.wp.com/www.invadingholland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/inv_15_years.png?w=550

Hi Invader_Stu,

I am contemplating taking the leap. But when I think about moving to NL, I get this (not so) funny feeling - I think it's the fear of the unknown.

However, your cartoon made me feel more at ease. So I will read your blog later when I get home.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Greetings from Malta.

Charlo

Hi Charlo

You're welcome. I hope it helps. I certainly understand the feeling of a fear of the unknown. I had that a lot in the beginning.

Stuart

The biggest challenge is finding a job. Yesterday I came across one in which my skills and experience fit nicely. I also started writing the cover letter to send out together with my CV. But then, I stopped.
Maybe I should stop overthinking and act.

@ chseychell > I also think that you should act. If you have any questions, please feel free to create a new thread on the Netherlands forum so that members can see your questions clearly.

Have a nice day,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Nooo way. I live in Tilburg and I traveled almost every weekend in the country. I am astonished. Some of my coworkers started using deodorant and shampoo after I met them.
Basically a redneck culture. Very gossipy, very small townish, very reduced vegetable lives. I've often met coworkers who were never to other Dutch places 60km away or indeed never heard of them.
I tried calisthenics exercising in parks as I did in London and Budapest. Lots of embellished websites, park here, park there from Breda to Eindhoven, to Rotterdam "hot een cool", so I discovered them. A laughing stock. Some didn't even existed. When I resigned to train in a local park, ETZ Elisabeth, I kid you not, people found my secluded place and congregated in astonishment "you sporten?!".
I went pubbing on Saturdays. Big mistake : basically the neighborhood regurgitated for months in disbelief :"he parties!"
And I could go on with the "plus-minus" work ethic. Not a place to aspire, they resent personal achievement.

JakubSzymon wrote:

Nooo way. .....

Interesting view.  I've removed your post that says virtually the same thing elsewhere in the Forum.

Cynic
Expat Team

But why??? I want to let people know of these experiences. I want to create one topic for this genuine experience.

Hi again.

Why - because it's a breach of our T&C's to spam.  You may have views about life in the Netherlands, but you don't need to repeat them in more than one thread.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team