In retrospect, would you move again to Laos?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Laos, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Laos so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

Irrespective of the fact I have family and friends there, if was to do it all again I would.

Starting from the beginning I would make sure I learnt a bit of the language and had a good grounding in the customs, do's and don'ts. I enjoyed the friendliness, ease of acceptance,openness of the Lao people and their mile of smiles coupled with "baw penh yang" it doesn't matter.

The benefits for me are my Lao family and friends there.

I am always up n down Laos n Thailand

I wouldn't change those wonderful early years for anything.  Sure I was younger then and Laos was a lot poorer.  But if by 'do it again' I would be starting out in the Laos of today, I would definitely think a few times before deciding.  Okay, it's a paradox:  I was always working to develop the country and now it is developed, sort of, young Lao much prefer it to the way it now is.  It's selfish, but I enjoyed the old days much more than I enjoy modern Laos.

So, the question is two in one.  Would I do it all again if I could have the same experiences?  With a couple of mistakes erased, yes.  Would I start now  thinking to do what I did in the past?  No.  That's not possible any more.

Maybe it's three in one.  Would I voluntarily leave now?  No, but that's not so much for love of Laos as is, more because I am too involved with Lao family, property and growing old disgracefully ~ and don't have an acceptable or more attractive alternative.

Maybe, maybe not. Anyway like Robert and a few others, I am stuck here now.

To sum up: there are worse places.