In retrospect, would you move again to France?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in France, would you heartily say "let’s do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in France so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Yes.. it's the best decision we ever took. We've been here almost 10 years now and it suits us down to the ground. I should say though that we moved here on retirement and so I can't speak for those who are in the workplace.  I think that group might have a different viewpoint.

Occasionally we've been asked by visitors from the UK if we miss England and have we ever thought of returning? No - and we've never contemplated anything other than staying here.

Thinking about all the 'ifs' and 'buts' in the UK, the one variable that we couldn't control was the £/€ exchange rate. I thought the pound might drift down slowly against the euro but we had enough margin in our finances (I thought!) to allow for that. This theory was put to the test shortly after we moved here when the pound plummeted to almost parity with the euro.  OK, we tightened our belts a little and we managed. (still didn't think about returning - even though if we'd sold our house there and then the exchange rate would have been heavily weighted in our favour if we'd gone back).

We sold up in the UK and came here in a white van with no property here (in at the deep end!). We were very lucky to find our house almost immediately - which was exactly what we wanted - and we signed within 10 days of arriving. We lived in a rented gite for 5 months until the house was ready to move in to.

If I was to make a list of do's and don't's, at the top of the do's list would be: do all your thinking up front - before you make the decision to move here (repeat after me). Try visiting your chosen region out of season.. and if necessary and if possible try living here for a few months to see if the dream matches the reality. Don't skimp on doing your homework.

A very close second on the list would be to ensure that both of you have a workable grasp of French. I can't stress this enough.

If you are dependent upon a sterling income/pension, make sure your finances have a sufficient margin in them to allow for any violent changes in the £/€ exchange rate (especially with that UK referendum looming). Sat in the UK, I found it difficult to quantify how much would be enough to live here? In the end, I made a stab at it and I was pretty close.

There's no shortage of seductively-priced properties on the market.. many of them in 'la France profonde' (ie, buried deep in the countryside). Yes, there might be glorious to-die-for-views (as they say in the property programmes) but how would you manage there day-to-day..? And in winter.. Do you really want to live at the end of a lane with no neighbours? And to have to use the car each time you want a packet of drawing pins? Try not to let yourself be sucked in by the charm of a property without considering the practicalities.. (think: where are the nearest shops, doctor, school, dentist, tax office, hospital etc etc) 

What are the benefits of living in France? We constantly pinch ourselves that we are lucky enough to live here.. we've made more friends than ever before.. and both of us have joined hobby groups, associations and sporting clubs. We've been made very welcome by one and all..

So - all-in-all, our move here worked very well for us. However, all our circumstances are different so, if you're thinking/dreaming/planning about a move here, think very hard about what your priorities are and make a plan; make sure your finances add up and above all - learn French!       

France is all about tax, tax, and more tax.
10,000 millionaires moved out of France in the 1st quarter of 2016.
We will be joining them.

We are feed up with their politics and their wealth and capital gains taxes.

^you definitely don't belong in France.

Questions and answers about France

Ask your question
Good morning paris
By tunisianman2013
Looking for an internship
By zuzanabalkova
Are you happy in France?
By Priscilla
Internship in France / Conventio de stage
By andrea666
Convention de stage/Paris Language school