In retrospect, would you move again to Argentina?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Argentina, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Argentina so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

Honestly, if I had to do it over again I would not have moved to Argentina simply because there are so many cultural differences. I personally had a really rough time adjusting. You should only move here if you're okay dealing with leaving your old life behind for a long period of time or forever.

I'm from the States and unfortunately I've encountered a great deal of bigotry from people who deem the U.S. as a horrible colonizing force. I've had people challenge me and tell me that the U.S. is responsible for the Falkland Wars, The military dictatorship and Argentina's economic collapse ... none of which are true.

My advice is you either have to coat yourself in 10 inches of grease so that people's negativity slides off or limit your social interactions to other expats.

If you speak another Spanish that's not Argentine Castillian, they tend to frown upon that and force you to correct yourself, which my partner and I have always refused to do.

I can't speak for everyone's experience but based on ours alone, if we could leave, we would likely not come back even for a visit ... except maybe B.A.

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!
Being parsimonious, moving to BA was a no brainer. Everything was Very cheap. Those days are over. As a vegetarian, in the not too distant past, finding great quality produce was simple. Now,not only have prices skyrocketed, the quality has really gone done. One plus is that recently, many new produce stores in my area have opened.
I'm glad that I bought an apartment. I've been told that folks get 12% or more apartment rent increases TWICE a year. Also, a prospective renter might have to pay a years' rent in advance.
My one regret that I've had is that I didn't keepa diary.Even I wouldn't believe what I've' gone through.
PC? Not I.

I read on today's (9 May) mercopress.com that inflation is 40%. Could that be why I refer to Argentina as "Argenuela) ? Could that be why the number of homeless people sleeping in doorways is probably increasing daily?

About the problems in Argentina caused by the US--------The US was behind the government overthrow and installation of the military dictatorship. The CIA designed, directed, paid for and conducted the entire thing. They did the same in other South America countries during the same time period.  Read some books and you will find out about this. Especially read books by Noam Chomsky. Thankfully the US influence is not so strong in South America anymore, except maybe Columbia. However the CIA is probably still around down there in some form.

ON another subject---I was in B.A. in 2002 and saw people sleeping on the street. A few years later didn't see this anymore, or not very much.  Was there in March of this year(2017) and now the street sleepers are back. A good indication things are again very bad.

I would advise you not to buy property here as it is very difficult to sell.  There are effectively no mortgages here, so the vendor ends up funding the buyer and has to take the money over five or six years.

Lots of things are infuriating, frequent power cuts and inflation running at 40 percent.  However, there is sometimes a wonderful moment when someone turns up on time and does what they are meant to do, properly.

The middle classes are very hard working and stressed and a lot use psychiatrists.  They are mostly charming

Bring handtools and kitchen equipment.  Those are either unavailable, poor quality or twice the price.

I live here for a lot of the year in preference to England and now I have come to accept 'this is Argentina,;  I am a lot happier.  And don't expect them to be on time.  Many shops close between 1pm and 4pm.

I am lying here, having a siesta and can hear the music and it is too hot to work in the garden.  Suerte

I have lived in central Mexico as an expat for the past 10.5 years and all of this sounds very much like the Mexican experience.  So I expect just more of the same in March when I make the move to Buenos Aires.  Buen suerte!