Vivir en Argentina

Ola
Soy Frances. Desde anos, quierro vivir en Argentina. Ahora tengo 43 anos y me dice que  es el tiempo de irme a Argentina. Pero no conozco nadie en este pais. Quizas alguien puede ayudarme en este Website ?( con contactos, informaciones, ...)? Gracias muchas.

Hi,
I'm french. Since years, i want to live in Argentina. I'm 43 years old now, and i know it's time for me to make my dream com true. So i'm loooking for someone who could help me, with contacts in Argentina, job offers ( I'm Dr.in Psychology and i have a International MBA), or good informations.
Thanks for all.

Welcome on Expat-blog JMMATHIEU! :)

I hope that other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck :)
Christine

Thanks for your engouragement Christine,
I'm sure someone will help me on this  blog.
Have a nice day
Jean-Michel

Acquiring a job here in Buenos Aires can be quite challenging, regardless of profession or experience.  For example, unemployment in France is typically ranked at around 7% this year, but in Argentina the latest figures I could find rank it close to 9%.  However, I think that figure is a bit misleading.  For instance the greater metropolitan area of Buenos Aires is around 14 million people constituting around 36% of the total population of the country.  In my opinion, unemployement is significantly higher here in the metro area than it is nation wide. 

Due in part to unemployment, people here tend to live with their parents until they reach their 30s.  At the same time, Argentina offers a free university education for undergraduate level and very cheap graduate degree programs.  So what happens is since there are not enough jobs here, a lot of people attend university as there is nothing else to do when you are younger.  So there seems to be one of the highest unemployment rates in the world for a country developed to the level of Argentina and there is a much higher rate of unemployment amongst college graduates here than anywhere else in the world that I am aware of.  I did not take the time to look up actual statistics on that, but am confident making those statements.

I can tell you this:  I have more Argentine friends than I can count on both hands and feet with advanced university degrees who are either unemployed or not working in their chosen field and the number are much more pitiful amongst my expat friends.  I have friends who are doctors who are teaching English.  I have a friend who is a psychiatrist who works teaching economics. I have friends who are architects working as tour guides.  I have friends from all kinds of professional backgrounds renting apartments, etc....

Argentina presents a very challenging and difficult employment market.  There are jobs here and you can most certainly find something.  However, there does not appear to be enough decent jobs for locals and there are obvious handicaps to seeking employement as an immigrant.

With this in mind, I would strongly encourage you to research the job market here in earnest and find a job with a company that will provide effective assistance in obtaining a work visa before you consider a permanent move here.  The number one issue I have seen with immigrants is a lack of meaningful and effective preparation before arriving here particularly when it comes to finding work.

There are plenty of websites out there offering general job listings such as www.craigslist.org and www.zonajobs.com.ar.  However, in your instance I would strongly encourage you to look deeper at how to find a job.  If it were me, I would begin with checking with the employment assistance offices at the major universities here;  look for guidance from job placement agencies; look for applicable groups and/or professionals on sites such as LinkedIn.com to connect and network with.....

tengo un blog para que te hagas la idea de como es todo aqui para un extranjero http://emigrarargentina.blogspot.com/

The costs noted in the blog linked above are pretty good with the exception that most tourists/short term visitors here will typically pay at least USD500 per month for a decent studio, however in the USD500 to USD600 price range for temporary rentals you should not expect to pay anything additional for telephone, internet, electricity, water, gas or building expenses. 

I have lived here for slightly over 4 years now and live quite comfortable for around USD1000 a month which includes going out to eat too often and drinking more wine that is probably recommended. 

The noted minimum wage is not particularly relevant to most foreigners I know who live here as most of them either work freelance, have their own businesses (typically working online), or do some side work.

As a local it is certainly possible to live on Argentina's minimum wage;  for foreigners who cannot come up with the necessary documentation and guarantia for rental property it is nearly impossible.

A problem in Argentina is not just finding a job, but finding one with a decent wage. Inflation is also making this equation worse.
I am up for you living your dreams. My input would be to look carefully at the financial side. If you can afford to live your dream here then great, bienvenido!

Correct Chaz and if you look at the real figures for inflation here, prices basically double every 3 years and I know this to be true as I have been here 4 years and things are over double what they were upon my arrival.

Bonjour mathieu,

je pars pr 1 mois et demi en argentine a la fin du mois, je te dirais ça a mon retour ;)
bonne chance
estelle