Visa run or 30 days visa exemption?...

Hi everyone!

I came here to share my latest experience.
My personnal situation (job seeker) made me think about the kind of visa I should take to stay a bit longer.

Just to note that I'm here for one year and a half and has been on non resident B for one year and then tourist visa until now (with few overstays...).
The cost of a new visa run made me think a bit more about what I should do to stay longer.

I heard about some people flying out to Malaysia and come back on the next flight.
So I decided to make my own experience.
I checked the flights tickets and the cheapests (in the Songkran period) was to Siem Reap: 4000 THB return ticket.
I checked again if anyone has done this in the past, on internet, I haven't had any information...
While I booked the ticket I saw a note saying that I would have to stay for a night before I was going back to Thailand but no problem, that was my plan anyway.
One thing I forgot was that, if you want to go to cambodia, you must pay a 30 $ visa (plus an extra 2$ if you don't have any ID photo on you) even for one day....
Plus the one night stay in a guest house (5$ a night in a dorm, much enough for me), the taxi from the airport and going back (12$ in total), few beers and food (5-6$).

On the way back, I was a bit under pressure that the thai immigration won't let me in (my passport is full of thai/lao/myanmar/cambodian visas and stamps...) but at the end there were no problem.

So it is possible!

Total cost: 6000 thb (songkran period and with cambodian visa) a bit too expensive compare to a visa run (2 month)
Also: that way is not exhausting at all (taxis and flights only). Compare to the visa runs (transport in van/queuing under the sun outside...)

Maybe it would be interesting to see on an other period (out of songkran), and see if there's a cheaper visa that the Cambodian around.

Clément.

If you are french you must know that visa run is no more allowed, you can read the letter of french embassy number 5 dated on October 2014 "INTERDICTION DU RECOURS AU « VISA RUN » " : http://www.ambafrance-th.org/La-Lettre-de-l-Ambassade ( sorry in french for others ).

Meanwhile, company who assist in France to get tourist visa specified that :

Attention : pour obtenir un visa simple entrée en France, les séjours doivent désormais être espacés d'au moins 3 mois et ne pas dépasser 180 jours par an (tampons vérifiés).

quick english translation as it is an english forum :

Attention : to get tourist visa single entry in France, stays must spaced of at least 3 months and not exceed 180 days per years ( passport stamps checked )

After you can take any risks you want by traveling in neighbour countries as some do not apply the rules and laws are not enforced... but one day you can be in trouble... you can not live permanently in Thailand with tourist visa and visa run.

Good luck to you

After you can take any risks you want by traveling in neighbour countries as some do not apply the rules and laws are not enforced... but one day you can be in trouble... you can not live permanently in Thailand with tourist visa and visa run.
Good luck to you

Lol! thank you!

I have a friend that lives & works in Bangkok, he and his wife & children do not ever have to go to im.  as long as he is working his company takes care of everything.  Seems like if you are working here you have priory over everyone else.

I was, at this time, a job seeker, as I noticed in my first message.

By the way, now I have a job and indeed, a visa non resident B and willing to get the work permit.