Maybe moving to Ecuador.

Hi my name is Linda.  I am 66 and have been researching Ecuador for about a year now.  I am 66 and recently retired and plan to visit first. 
My questions are:  Where do I come in to Ecuador at?   
Whats the name of a decent motel to stay while I am there? 
Can I live off 1000.00 a month? 
Where is the best place to live?
I don't know a lot of Spanish but am willing to learn.  I have found that spanish is different in every country.  I know there has been a recent earthquake but I am currently a school crossing guard so I wouldn't be able to come for a few months.  I like to fish, hike, read and garden.  I don't mind living alone as I have off and on most of my life.  My home here in Jacksonville would have to be sold before I could move permanently.  I was an export clerk for 20 years and loved it.

From your research, what city or town did you narrow your search to? That would be helpful in determining if 1000 would be enough.

That's the problem.  Wasn't really sure.  Cuenca was mentioned and Quito plus Loja a lot but to be honest with you I don't care about a city as long as I can be safe and find transportation to get into town.  I have lived in Jacksonville for 25 years and was brought up on a farm in Illinois so the outskirts is fine with me.

In Quito your budget will not be enough to include a house (you mentioned gardening) in safe neighborhood. Another member mentioned house rental in 600-700 in Cumbaya. I don't know if those houses include yards. But at that rate that would be 60-70% of your budget. So I think it's possible but you'll need to lower expectations in terms of housing, and ideally your budget for a rental should not be more than 400 or 40% of your budget. This rental % is also wise for Cuenca. Hopefully other members who live in Loja and smaller cities will chime in.

Thanks I was just going by internet info.  I'm not apposed to a small bungalow or even an apartment on the outskirts somewhere.  I can always garden by bucket as i do now at my house since it's only me.

Cuenca on the whole may be pricier than other places for Expats, but it's a relatively safe place for a retiring female Expat.

Do not get started by living alone on the so-called outskirts of anywhere in Ecuador.  As a rule that is not secure.

There are still apartments available in Cuenca in the low-400's-per-month range.  Cut that almost in half with an apartment share of a two-bedroom.

Cuenca and Vilcabamba have the highest percentages of Expats from North America.

Cuenca has more Expat meetups, events, gatherings and field trips than any other city.

cccmedia

Holloway wrote:

Thanks I was just going by internet info.  I'm not apposed to a small bungalow or even an apartment on the outskirts somewhere.  I can always garden by bucket as i do now at my house since it's only me.

Alright, with those expectations then your 1000 will suffice albeit tightly for you supporting only yourself and living a simple basic life. So let's assume 400 rent for simple apartment, 35 for internet and mobile recharge, 40 for transportation, 6 drinkable water, 20 electric, 4 gas, 73 insurance. So that's about 580. Then there's everything else.

When you scrutinize online budgets, notice that the low number ones don't include health insurance, travel expenses within Ecuador and flying back home, or pocket money, etc. And taking only buses, and I will tell you some of the buses here in Quito are a workout holding on to your bit of space, and also by they way they bop up and own, and turn.

Groceries are more expensive here, and people who argue otherwise are simply talking about some fruits and vegetables. Also the government announced today they are raising IVA tax from 12 to 14% to help pay for the rebuilding (they state it's only for 365 days, but you never know), there are also ATM fees you have to add. Be realistic with your budget and if your budget is 1000 then deduct 10% to give yourself some flexibility and also because things always come up including prices increases.

Also CCC is advice about avoiding the outskirts is sound advice, it's wiser to understand the dynamics of the country first. Same with renting furnished vs unfurnished. You just never know.   

Source for tax increases: El-Comercio

Perhaps the question that needs asking  is how can you live on $1,000/ month in the USA?  Do you have any special medical problems?  Are you willing to stop paying Medicare Part B and take up Ecuadorian health care?  At age 66 these are major issues.

I do not taked any scripts and would get rid of medicare if possible.  What little medical problems I have I take natural herbs for .  Tumeric is an anti-inflammitory and works well for aches and pain.  Does this help?

Holloway wrote:

I do not taked any scripts and would get rid of medicare if possible.  What little medical problems I have I take natural herbs for .  Tumeric is an anti-inflammitory and works well for aches and pain.  Does this help?

It is always possible to get rid of medicare, the only future problem could be if you return to the USA then it will cost you more per month to make up for the months you paid nothing.

Although the $ amount mentioned for rent maybe correct, it depends in the area you choose to live in.
As an example, I personally know a great "outskirts" zone 20 minutes from Main Quito North (Ciudad Mitad del Mundo), where you can rent a "townhouse like" for about $250.00/month.
Don't get discourage, a bit of patience and exploration will provide you with great opportunities.

Marco

Thank you so much.  How do things look after the earthquake?

On the coast: rough, to say the least.

Visit the expat.com thread on “Powerful 7.8 Earthquake” which is listed on the Ecuador forum welcome-page .. and updates at www.cuencahighlife.com

cccmedia