Close

FILIPINO culture

I am an expat living in Kuwait with my wife.  My wife is Filipina.  I am an American.  Help me out in figuring out the FILIPINO culture.

Hi SjSinjuwait,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Philipines forum so that it may encourage members to interact with you.

Thanks,

Priscilla

SJSinKuwait wrote:

I am an expat living in Kuwait with my wife.  My wife is Filipina.  I am an American.  Help me out in figuring out the FILIPINO culture.

Best way to know the culture is learning it from her, and trust me as time goes on you will notice the culture and the difference between yours. However if you still feel like being with her is not enough, then the good advice is visiting the Philippines for a few months.

Well i don't know much about Philippines culture,but i meet so many guys and girls here ,, and from what i knew and saw  .. girls are very loyal when its serious relationship and stands in your back in whatever  the situation you are in . For only taking good care of her and be nice and i believe that's the best about Philippines girls or for what i know and met so far .
if i weren't already married i would marry one for sure :)

You can never adjust to the Filipino culture. Best would be your wife to adjust to your culture, just explain her how you are and what you want.
If you come to live here, then it's another story, she will have to advise and teach you accordingly.

Extended families and as an expat we are very lucky not to escape support of some kind normally financial.  I wouldn’t mind if the support was gratefully received but it seems that it is accepted as the “norm” and if it stops you can expect to be ignored for the rest of your life by the family.
The culprits are, from what we have experienced are the mothers and unmarried adult ladies. Even when there is a family earning money we are asked on every visit for cash and my wife became ill with the insistent demands.  In our case 5 adult relatives have abused our kindness, one of them with three youngsters and a druggy husband who has been accepted back into the family despite assurances that he was not wanted and she was separated.
All the family now are not accepted into our house. Two of the youngsters have Facebook accounts with connection to me but any chat…never! Of course they would like to go to university or attend a training course when the time comes but if they don’t make some effort to be friends then as strangers their requests will be ignored.
I’ve downloaded English comprehension lessons and spent some time helping 2 of the kids with pronunciations but do they want to repeat the exercise…….no words!
There must be an advantage of improving English directly with a relative but no requests. We get the feeling that the parents are not keen for us to shower help with their children because the loyalties will move to us and leave them nothing for support in later life.  An Australian friend said that you can help them with their education but afterwards you’ll never see them again. I think that’s true, sadly.
Maybe there are are expats with a better and more pleasant experience of helping out extended Philippine families.

once a ...CASH COW ...always a CASH COW....and thats all we are...the hands are always out....we are the givers and the FILIPINAS are the takers....GOOD LUCK...

Questions and answers about the Philippines

Ask your question
FCStraight
How safe is it NOW in the Philippines?
By FCStraight
jevy12
filipina - fiance visa
By jevy12
Bucko
Setting up a business and getting visas
By Bucko
MrsBorsic
Visa application through Embassy of Belgium
By MrsBorsic
Wolf0201
Wanted...: Toyota RAV4
By Wolf0201
Geee27

Expatriate health insurance in the Philippines

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Philippines

Moving to the Philippines

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Philippines

Travel insurance in the Philippines

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Philippines

Flights to the Philippines

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Philippines