Employer Pension Contributions

So... do employer pension contributions just not exist in Malta?

And by that I don't mean the equivalent to UK National Insurance payments (by employee and employer) that lead to you getting a state pension. I mean where an employer will match (at least) the payment you make into a private pension scheme, the money is invested and you can get a private pension/lump sum etc later in life to add to your state pension income.

(Sorry if this is a basic description, I've never totally understood the whole pension thing :S )

I noticed in my draft contract that it mentioned 'other benefits' and enquired (via my recruitment agent) whether this included pension contributions, only to be told that they weren't sure and would need to check with the employer.

While waiting I've so far been sent links and generic info suggesting that private pension funds don't really exist for Maltese employees yet. Searching on the net finds some conflicting articles.

Does anyone out there work and pay into a private pension? Obviously I'd still be able to make personal contributions into a UK pension fund, but missing out on the employer contribution actually makes a big difference to the package I've been offered.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I've looked into the whole pension thing for myself and found that private pension is an unknown concept in Malta.  If your employer did make a contribution into 'a pension' this would be a taxable benefit unlike in the UK where its paid without deduction of tax.  Likewise there is no tax benefits contributing towards your pension.  I've opted instead for my company to pay an annual lump sum equivalent to 5% of my base salary, pay tax on that then put into an investment fund.

Third Pillar pensions savings are available in Malta, although its a new area. There is also tax relief of sorts although minimal.

Taken from Ganado Associates website;

"Legal Notice 117 of 2015, published on the 2 June 2015, has raised the maximum amount of tax credit provided for by Article 57(1)(b) of the Income Tax Act from €150 to €300.

Through this provision, any tax payer will be able to obtain a tax credit against income tax chargeable in Malta. This will be applicable on any contributions made by a person to any personal retirement scheme or premiums paid in respect of a qualifying policy of insurance. The tax credit will be equal to the lower of:

• 15% of the aggregate of the contributions or premiums paid; and

• €300.

This means that if a taxpayer falls within the 15 per cent income tax bracket, s/he can utilise €2,000 of his/her annual income to contribute to a personal retirement scheme or a qualifying insurance policy without paying tax on that €2,000. If, on the other hand, a taxpayer falls within a higher tax bracket, the maximum tax saving by the taxpayer would be €300.

This Legal Notice has therefore doubled the fiscal incentive for Maltese residents to save up for their personal pension by investing in private products offered by local banks, life insurance companies and financial institutions."

There are a number of (Q)ROPS (Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme) providers in Malta who operate schemes, but also some local insurance companies and Banks.

Thanks for your help. I'll just stack it up to another difference in salary/package.