How can we move to Indonesia

Good Day

I am hoping someone could give some advice. Myself and my partner are currently living in South Africa. We work as a travel agent and retail supervisor.

We came to Bali a month ago and fell inlove.
We would love any tips on how we could possible live and work in Indonesia and if it is possible for South Africans without a degree?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Bianca

To work in Indonesia, you must have a KITAS immigration document and an IMTA work permit.
The work permit will only be granted if you get a job an Indonesian can't do.

Whilst the OP hasn't mentioned this, the general advice and warning is probably handy for other readers.
Teaching English is only possible if you are from one of the five native English speaking countries (as defined by Indonesia), and you must have a degree in the appropriate subject.
That means any such work is illegal for most, and absolutely so for anyone from the African continent (unless they have a second passport).

For the OP, unless they has money to invest in Indonesia, that path is less than likely, but the possibility is there.

The jobs mentioned in the OP would be pretty much impossible for an expat to do legally in Indonesia, unless they were working in their Indonesian spouse's business, and without any overt signs of them working there, something that would be impossible for the OP as the two people involved don't seem to be married to Indonesian or Indonesian themselves.
For other posters with similar questions but are married to an Indonesian, a spouse sponsored KITAS holder can't do such work legally, but would probably be ignored unless he shouted about it, but a spouse sponsored KITAP holder can do so legally, and without a work permit.
The latter would (Arguably) need a work permit to work anywhere other than their spouse's business.

I gather Bali immigration has a poor view of foreigners working illegally, so it would be extremely wise to stick to the law.

The dream is lovely, but might well have to remain a dream.

**You need to work for others to get Kitas or you need retirement visa as an alternative.
Whereas, Investment is also a possibility.

Indonesian government wants investment, and not only expertise.
And the government has set up a single window called BKPM -  Badan Koordinasi Penanaman Modal in provinces to assist in these processes.
For example 3 hours - same day service. or 3 to 5 days services to get your company started up.
http://www.bkpm.go.id/

Please review these 3 newspaper articles.
http://www.indonesia-investments.com/ne … p/item6487http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016 … thers.htmlhttp://www.dealstreetasia.com/stories/28156-28156/

The recent February Indonesian Economic Package.
New versus Old Maximum Allowed Foreign Ownership:

Industry                                                     New %Share                 Old %Share
Warehouse Distributor                         67%                                  33%
Cold Storage                                            100%                                  33%
Business Training                                         67%                                  49%
Travel Agency                                        67%                                 49%
Golf Course                                                67%                                 49%
Transport Supporting Services                 67%                                49%
Sport Center                                               100%                                49%
Film Production Houses                      100%                                49%
Crumb Rubber                                      100%                                49%
Museums                                              67%                               51%
Catering                                                     67%                                51%
Convention Services                              67%                                51%
Exhibitions & Travel Incentives           67%                               51%
Restaurant                                              100%                                51%
Construction Consultancy                    67%                                       55%
Telecommunication Services            67%                                      65%
Raw Materials for Medicines          100%                                       85%
Toll Road                                           100%                                    95%
Telecommunication Testing Agency     100%                     95%

I will launch a new topic to get more forum readers interested.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : inappropriate content

OP wrote:

We work as a travel agent and retail supervisor.

Perhaps the OP wants to work as a travel agent and retail supervisor, not invest in toll roads.

There is easing up ownership to more than 50%. For example, business training. Can run a business consultancy and trainer business.

And there is even 100% foreign ownership such as restaurant business.

Easing up is even more likely in the future and sectors have to be reviewed over time.
Unfortunately, travel guide is restricted for now, who knows the future.

If a person loves to come to Indonesia, they will find ways or opportunities to make it work - including changing business skills or matching business skills in Indonesia.

For the past 17 years I have been around the business segment, (also daily).  During the course of my tenure in Bali I have established one CV and two PT businesses.  It is not a simple, nor an inexpensive process, of that I can assure you. 

The OP is asking about Bali…and I must say that setting up a new business in Bali has its own challenges, most notably that the competition here is fierce in every category of business.

I hope, that for that service to apply the investor must be investing at least 100 billion IDR (about US $ 7.6 million) and going to employ at least 1,000 locals.  What possible bearing does this have to the very simple question raised by the OP...about jobs?   

To the OP, “Hi Bianca” I would advise that they consider coming back to Bali for a long stay…(an advance 180 day visit visa for example) and do a great deal of study and homework before jumping in with both feet.  I can understand how you “fell in love with Bali” as we all did, but please be aware that the vast majority of new businesses established in Bali are closed in three years or less. 

However, your post didn't ask about opening a business in Bali, but rather about working in Bali, presumably in the fields you are both currently involved with…travel and retail (as supervisor). 

The first response you received from Fred was unfortunately spot on accurate.  Unless a foreigner has job skills which cannot be readily found within the Indonesian community, they will not be issued a work permit.  And without a work permit one cannot legally work in Indonesia. 

In those fields you mention there is plenty of very capable local talent available, especially here in Bali, so I'm afraid the chances of you being legally employed here in those fields is very, very slim. 

I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you, but I would hope you will find direct and accurate information to be far more beneficial to you.

enduringword wrote:

If a person loves to come to Indonesia, they will find ways or opportunities to make it work - including changing business skills or matching business skills in Indonesia.

I strongly agree with that statement. Think positively.

These days one should be prepared to make a complete change in direction in order to succeed. I have been doing it throughout my life.

You might even consider doing a one month TEFL course to fall back on. The Certificate might help you find a job in Indonesia, perhaps not in Bali but possibly somewhere else in Indonesia, or at least in one of the other wonderful places in Asia.

@ Hansson

“You might even consider doing a one month TEFL course to fall back on. The Certificate might help you find a job in Indonesia, perhaps not in Bali but possibly somewhere else in Indonesia, or at least in one of the other wonderful places in Asia.”

I guess you missed this part that the OP wrote,

“We would love any tips on how we could possible live and work in Indonesia and if it is possible for South Africans without a degree?”  Note, “without a degree.”

Harsh as it is, it's unlikely the OP will find legal work in Indonesia.

I didn't realise that the OP isn't a native English speaker. Thanks for pointing that out Fred. Actually, what is their native tongue?

Jobs for foreigners teaching English in Indonesia are almost exclusively limited to native English speakers who are defined as coming from and holding passports from either of the following countries:  The United Kingdom, The United States, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand.

Any job teaching English in Indonesia without being a native speaker as described above, or without a bachelor level college degree (and teaching certificate) is most likely to be either as a non paid volunteer, or a very, very low paying job in the most remote areas of Indonesia.

May I remind you that the OP was primarily asking about Bali, and in that case, the most stringent of qualifications apply for English teachers.

Hansson wrote:

I didn't realise that the OP isn't a native English speaker. Thanks for pointing that out Fred. Actually, what is their native tongue?

I believe that the OP has very good English skills in expressing ideas in the blog and the expat forum here.. In South Africa, English is spoken there and has a caucasian population too.

"I believe that the OP has very good English skills in expressing ideas in the blog and the expat forum here.. In South Africa, English is spoken there and has a caucasian population too."

You might want to read the post immediately before your post (my post #11),  so you better understand the situation.  And btw, being either Caucasian or not has nothing to do with qualifications to teach English in Indonesia.  Frankly I am somewhat appalled that race has been introduced to this topic and discussion of teaching English in Indonesia.   :(

I undertand the situation very clearly.
I did not write anything of teaching English in Indonesia.
I went to the OP blog, and just want to comment that the English is used is great And they dont need to learn English lessons. That is my main point.
Dont be discouraged about degrees. Unless you really intend to work for others.
And I advocate them to look for further information in how to setup a business in Indonesia, the website links are all there. And google more.

As a suggestion, if the poster took the one month TEFL course, with that certificate they might not be able to gt a job teaching English in Indonesia, but maybe in one of the other very lovely countries in Southeast Asia. As it stands, South African nationals do not qualify for a working permit for teaching English in Indonesia.

Hi everyone,

I have moderated and removed off topic/inappropriate messages from this thread. Please now focus on the OP questions and try to give useful and relevant information about her questions.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Bianca,

Welcome to expat.com!

Did the above posts helped you? Do you have more questions /any specific questions that you want to post here?

Please do not hesitate :)

Christine
Expat.com

Hi Bianca or OP,
Regarding setting up your business venture as a way to move Indonesia, I would like to clarify that it doesnt take so much money as was indicated earlier.
The high bar of investment and thus special treatment is only for certain category of businesses.

There are more sectors opened up by the Indonesian government.
And there are other business such as restaurant or catering or something else that you can find more information. For your interests, restaurant can now be 100% foreign owned.

In the old days, setting up a company for foreigners has to go to different channels of government. Now the BKPM is there to guide the process and to be the place for submission of documents.

Please look here for the process of setting up a business in whole Indonesia and opportunities breakdown in each province.
http://www.bkpm.go.id/en/home-investmenthttp://www.bkpm.go.id/en/investment-pro … ur-company

I would be interested if down the track/future you can share us in the forum what problems you faced or solutions you found.

In the meantime, do enjoy your stay in Bali. And explore the whole Indonesia.